Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Congestion charge may rise to ?8

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ian (GPX)
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:40 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Congestion charge may rise to £8 Reply with quote

London's congestion charge should be increased to £8, Mayor Ken Livingstone has proposed.
Mr Livingstone has asked Transport for London (TfL) to begin consulting on a £3 increase for a private car to enter the central zone.

He added the earliest the proposed change could be introduced would be July next year.

But he said he wanted the charge for "commercial fleet vehicles" to rise to just £7.

Mr Livingstone said: "The congestion charge has been an unprecedented success in dramatically reducing congestion, pollution and accidents.

More here >> https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4054711.stm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikes don't pay the congestion charge, do they? It can only be a good thing for motorcyclists IMO if they have to watch out for more motorcycles rather than half asleep car drivers who have switched off due the boredom of crawling along in rush hour traffic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tgabber
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:50 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, bikes don't pay the charge.

It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to think of the poor old cagers having to cough up more... Very Happy Cool

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 13:52 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

... until he starts charging bikes.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 13:58 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get too smug, it won't be long before bikes have to pay congestion fees too, when everyone can't afford to drive their cars to London, so they all buy scooters then scooters will clog the roads and then they will put in scooter congestion fees to cut the traffic down so everyone will be forced to buy push bikes, at which point the roads will be clogged with push bikes so they will introduce a push bike congestion charge which of course no one will afford so everyone will have to walk....

...until of course the roads are clogged with pedestrians clogging up Londons roads so they'll bring in a walking congestion charge, probably something like £0.50p a step and they will have stealth speed cameras that charge you £50 quid if you walk over 5.6mph and of course new technology to improve pedestrian flow which will also charge you £50 if you walk slower than 2mph.... of course no one will afford this so they will get jobs out of London, London will become a ghost town home only to a few vigilante skateboarders who refuse to pay the fees so get chased around by special police squads in riot gear fighting non-paying congestion charge criminals!

Everyone will move to surrounding areas until the same happens there then we'll all move to France, which would technically be a good idea but if we go, everyone goes then there will be speed cameras on every corner and congestion charges all over france and europe, soon we'll have to pay "air bills" to breath and have to buy keycard top ups else we'll run out of air and die.

Eventually one day the good old timers who liked things the way they were will revolt and over-come the government and explode all speed cameras and abolish all congestion fees, which would be good but it will send the world into one massive riot and everyone would kill each other.

The end

Last edited by Sparks! on 13:59 - 30 Nov 2004; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Harold_Shand
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate him. I hate his horrible smugness and his horrible nasally way of talking. Agh! What a wanker!

NickD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the major factors in bikes being exempt from charging was heavy duty lobbying by MAG and the BMF. How many people here are members of either? If the figure is as low as I think it is, please let's not start whining when charges for bikes are introduced.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:49 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I suspect that given a few years bikes will be hit for the congenstion charge. While a raised charge may help those in the centre it will just further increase traffic around the outskirts of the zone.

The kengestion charge is just a tax, and I cannot vote for or against Ken "I don't have a car but spend thousands of pounds of taxpayers money on taxis each year" Livingstone. No taxation without representation Wink .

I am not keen on London at all and generally avoid going there. The charge is just another reason on the list for avoiding the place.

Main thing it has been a success at is reducing the takings of the shops inside the charged zone.

All the best

Keith

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 14:54 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

And because I don't live in London any more, just work there 5 days a week, I don't have a vote to try and get rid of the wanker. Rolling Eyes

zx636
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:07 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: oh Reply with quote

I live in London and i didnt vote for the Wan..r.

Come on, Be honest, what a fucking pillock. Any school kid can work out that if you place a charge to reduce the number of things you are charging for then the income will go down and costs will have to increase. does he honestly think we are all as thick as he is.

Mr Livingstone, give me a call and I'll explain elementary mathematics to you and that way you can keep an accurate count of your newts. Best you keep to what you know.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 15:21 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do bikes cause congestion? You can fit almost 6 into the same space as one car.......

If he charges out as far as SE London im gonna start blowing things up, might cause confuse him on the math's front more though, ho-hum. Rolling Eyes

zx636 better get the chalk board and cane out Twisted Evil

zx636
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:59 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: charge Reply with quote

We seem to fall for the same tricks over and over again.

With the congestions charge, if it works like they want then the costs of maintaining the system will always increase while the revenue will decrease without increasing the charge. Its really just another indirect tax under the guise of traffic control. If they really want to keep the traffic moving then the better idea would be to reduce the number of buses clogging up the roads. Take a drive down Oxford Street or Regent Street, full of buses which are far too large for the streets and now they introduce bendy buses which struggle to get round some of the corners. Bus lanes which the buses rarely use because they are always trying to overtake one another blocking all the lanes.
Another option would be to ban cars altogether from certain roads during certain times but they wont do that because they get no revenue.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:02 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuben wrote:
How do bikes cause congestion? You can fit almost 6 into the same space as one car.......

<Devils advocate mode>
When you take account of the distance you should leave between yourself and the vehicle in front then the length of a car over a bike is barely of any relevance.
</Devils advocate mode>

Half the congestion is deliberatly caused anyway, or made far worse by provisions for those few who use buses.

All the best

Keith

Harold_Shand
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

A long, long time ago I saw something on telly about portugal or some other wop country where a car had a permit for a few days a week, on the days where you weren't allowed in the town centre you buddy up with someone from work or whatever who can. Or something. Forced car share. Could possibly cut traffic by 2/3. Don't know whether it worked or not.

zx636
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:10 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: congestion Reply with quote

Harold.
They do that in Japan. Depending on Car Reg No decides on what days of the week you can drive. Hence two car Japanese families.

Keith.
I think you are right, in moving traffic there is no difference in the space a car uses as opposed to a bike. God help us if Ken ever works that one out.

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 16:32 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Half the congestion is deliberatly caused anyway, or made far worse by provisions for those few who use buses.

Buses in Central London are very well used, in fact you'll rarely find a city bus less than half full.

In the end it all boils down to the fact that large cities and cars don't mix... Above a certain population density there just isn't enough room for everybody to travel around using their own car, however much they'd like to.

Much as I don't like the congestion charge (because I'm selfish and would like to drive to work), I do agree with the principle. What would your alternative be?

zaknafien

PostPosted: 16:39 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korn wrote:
What would your alternative be?

Flying cars!

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:05 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korn wrote:
Buses in Central London are very well used, in fact you'll rarely find a city bus less than half full.

They carry around about the same number of people into central London as cars do. The mode that (pretty uniquely to London) carries most people into central London is the train.

Korn wrote:
In the end it all boils down to the fact that large cities and cars don't mix... Above a certain population density there just isn't enough room for everybody to travel around using their own car, however much they'd like to.

Personally I think the issue is that large cities and people do not go together. The problem with London is not the traffic (that is merely a symptom), but the bizarre idea of dumping all the places of work in one tiny difficult to reach area with people travelling there on a daily basis from miles around.

Force the area to move out. Trying to get several hundred thousand people into a tiny area every day is certain to cause problems however they get there. One way to force new buildings to have sufficient parking, thus reducing the density of the work places and also pushing some of them into more accessable areas.

Forcing people to stand up in what are little better than cattle trucks is just a short term bodge, and a sign that they have failed totally to deal with the real problem.

Giving the local politician the power to charge those who have no voice is just central government failing to deal with the issue. Ken can now happily charge substantial amounts and not have to worry about those he is inflicting it upon, while central government can wash its hands of it and say it is someone elses responsibility.

All the best

Keith

headlamp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:32 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korn wrote:
What would your alternative be?

Simple - if successive governments had planned correctly, then London would have an integrated and efficient transport system involving 'park and ride' from outlying Underground stations, an inner ring (parts of which have been built around North London but nothing South of the river), an efficient tram system that follows the main routes and a Cross rail system connecting East to West. To put right now would cost literally £50billion pounds - and no government is going to allocate that sum of money, despite London and the South East, being if taken as a separate entity one of the top economies in the world. It is simply not politically expedient spending those sums and all the government does is fiddle with the present arrangements or passes the buck. It was reported earlier in the year that the 2.3 mile stretch of A40 which causes the most bottlenecks will not get the desparately needed investment, and the land is being sold to property developers. Also the Bounds Green section of the North Circular and the £700million junction improvement scheme at Henlys Corner has been modified for cyclists and buses, not the 150,000 cars that use this stretch of road in North London.

Instead we have the mess we currently have - a crumbling tube network, an inefficient road system a congestion charge scheme and traffic jams, in some places 24/7. The current government, despite promising to spend £150bn on transport in 2000 for 10 years has totally reneged on this, spending (I seem to remember) £6bn in 2002, less than half what it should have been. Motorists & other road users contribute £50bn to the Exchequer every year - and see just over 10% spent on transport.

Korn is 100% correct regarding private cars and cities - they don't mix. Livingstone's solution of buses is only half the answer, but alas there is no alternative and us Londoners can expect many more years of misery and frustration when travelling!

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 17:58 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many people have jobs that they could do from home, maybe not every day, but perhaps a couple of days a week. Let them stay at home and they're not travelling into town - less congestion.

headlamp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:09 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently there are other people fed up with the state of the transport system in London https://www.busandtube.co.uk/main.htm

I don't see this working somehow!

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:35 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a slightly connected note:
Exam board offers qualification in wheel clamping

Shocked

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 21:29 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBC wrote:
Clampers will be able to take a two-unit course, which will lead to a vocational BTec qualification in "vehicle immobilisation".
Never knew wheel clamping was vocational. Laughing

mattsmith95
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:39 - 01 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember the poll tax riots?? Oh yeah most of you were still in
nappies. Well anyway that's nothing compared to what will happen
if bikes have to pay CC.

It will be war Twisted Evil

Personally All off roaders (4x4) should be banned from London,
that will be wonderful, would ease congestion.

And they wish to host the olympics in London, well, fat chance!

zaknafien

PostPosted: 07:04 - 01 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsmith95 wrote:
Personally All off roaders (4x4) should be banned from London

I'd ban them from roads expect when travelling to and from an off road site.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 147 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2