BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Congestion charge may rise to ?8

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

stryker
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:03 - 01 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think bikes take up as much space as cars, just take a look at bike infested cities of india. No way would you get that many cars in the city.

Another reason I don't like the congestion charge is its simply pricing the poor out of the city centre. At the very least it should be based on engine size.

headlamp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 01 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsmith95 wrote:
Personally All off roaders (4x4) should be banned from London,
that will be wonderful, would ease congestion.

....and my cage is a 4x4 - V8 Landrover Discovery! I've had it since nearly new in 2000! Reason - it has 7 seats and to transport me, my wife and four kids, ages 15 to 6, plus assorted paraphanalia it is comfortable, British (I like cars made in the UK) and is not a van in disguise. I also have the option to go off-road too! The only time I would use it to commute is when there is snow. Otherwise it is used occasionally at the weekends. It fits into the same space as a normal estate car and is the height of van.

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 12:45 - 01 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

stryker wrote:
Another reason I don't like the congestion charge is its simply pricing the poor out of the city centre. At the very least it should be based on engine size.
I agree, in side the CC zone the only private cars you see a very expensive BMW 's etc...

Ian (GPX)
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:58 - 01 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

'A bad day' for rail passengers as well now........ Confused

Rail fares in the UK are set for an above inflation rise of 4% on average next year.
It has also emerged some passengers trying to plan ahead for Christmas cannot yet book cheaper advance tickets because of uncertainty over track work.

Season tickets and saver fares are to go up 4%, while rail firms' advance bookings and cheap day returns will rise by between 2% and 7.2%.

"It's a bad day for passengers," said rail campaigner Stewart Francis.

Mr Francis, chairman of the Rail Passengers Council (RPC), said thousands were unable to finalise plans to visit friends and relatives for Christmas because Network Rail was not giving enough notice to some train companies about engineering works over the period.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:05 - 01 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaknafien wrote:
I'd ban them from roads expect when travelling to and from an off road site.

Only if you are happy for the same kind of policies to be applied to bikes.

All the best

Keith

zaknafien

PostPosted: 14:53 - 01 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Only if you are happy for the same kind of policies to be applied to bikes.

nah, a bike is made for the road a 4x4 is made to go off it. Although lately it seems 4x4's are built for the school run.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:56 - 01 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, sports bikes are built for the race track and I expect it could be argued that sports bikes are just as designed for road use as 4x4's are.

I mean, why on earth would you need a bike capable of 160mph on the roads? Razz

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 15:28 - 01 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaknafien wrote:
nah, a bike is made for the road a 4x4 is made to go off it. Although lately it seems 4x4's are built for the school run.

4x4s are made mainly for road use just as much as most bikes are made for road use, but both are capable of other things. Ban the 4x4s from the road then the same logic would see anything with more performance than a CBF250 banned from the road.

After all, those people using a 4x4 on the road are paying greatly for this, with at least 4 times your road tax bill and at least double your petrol bill per mile.

All the best

Keith

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 01 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's MCNs take on it:

MCN wrote:
December 1 2004
C-charge boost for bikes
Bikes are set to get another Mayor-backed boost in London with plans to raise the Congestion Charge for car drivers by 60%.

Bikes are exempt from the current £5 charge and Mayor Ken Livingstone is not thought to be about to change that. So with car drivers facing an £8 charge for each journey into the zone, the impetus to get on to two wheels instead grows stronger.

Livingstone intends to raise the charge in July 2005 and use the extra £50 million it will raise to tackle congestion outside of the central zone itself. The Congestion Charge Zone is also likely to be doubled in size – extending into the West End.

It’s got to be good news for biking. In the first year of the Congestion Charge in London there was a 20 per cent rise in bike traffic in the city. In the same period there was a 15 per cent FALL in bike casualties in the zone. Bike sales in London rose 20 per cent and the speed of traffic in the clogged up city rose 15 per cent.

Ken – as far as we’re concerned you can double the charge. Just make sure you keep leaving jam-busting bikes out of the equation.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/nav?page=motorcyclenews.articles.articleCategory.article&resourceId=1560894&articleCategory=NEWS_OTHER-NEWS

Dagnabit, I hate URLs which stretch the screen. Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 140 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2