BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New Bike Q's

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

freestyler_onli
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: New Bike Q's Reply with quote

Right. Next week i collect my brand new Aprilia RS 125. Now the hard bit-i know sod all about bikes so i got 3 basic q's which hopefully might be answered:

1. Insurance

This is my first bike and i'll probably only have it for a few months maximum anyway. Any particular insurance companies you guys can recommend??

2. De-restriction Rolling Eyes

My mate who im selling it onto afterwards says i should get it de-restricted. Ignoring the legalities-do you think it's worth it??

3. I never had a car/bike before, so in the Manual- does it tell you specific oils/stuff to buy or can you use any oils etc....

Ta.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sychosis
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:53 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Castrol 2T oil, haven't had a problem with it.

Try bennetts insurance

Why pay£3699 for a brand new one when you're only gonna have it a few months?

It runs a lot better deresticted, 30hp as opposed to 14hp.

Want to buy a 53 reg with 3850km fsh 11mths tax 1yr man warranty £2900?
psy?cho?sis (si-ko-sis),n. pl. psy?cho?ses (-sez) ,A severe mental disorder, with or without organic damage, characterized by derangement of personality and loss of contact with reality and causing deterioration of normal social functioning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the not buying new if you're not going to keep it long, you will loose a fair bit off a new bike.

De-restricting is worth while for the power gain, but if you're not going to be keeping it for long and selling it on as a learner it's probably worth leaving it be. Keeping you nose clean might also be worth considering in your line of work. Wink

Any decent fully synthetic two stroke oil will do. I ran an RS on Motul for four years and it didn't miss a beat.

There are a good few places about for insurance, it's worth ringing around quite a few or if you can't be bothered PM Danny.

www.insurance2000.co.uk is worth a look for starters, hate to say it Sychosis but I've always found Bennetts to be expensive.

Good luck.

sychosis
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:28 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were for my brother, but they were the cheapest for me at the time.
psy?cho?sis (si-ko-sis),n. pl. psy?cho?ses (-sez) ,A severe mental disorder, with or without organic damage, characterized by derangement of personality and loss of contact with reality and causing deterioration of normal social functioning.

freestyler_onli
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right ta guys. I actually already put down a deposit for it- i don't have to get rid of it in a few months- just the prospect of getting a bigger bike seemed more appealing to cast this one aside.

I'll see what happens- 1 q- the de-restricting thing- how do you go about it-i wouldn't try it meself so what do you do-wheel it into a shifty looking garage and ask him to fiddle about??

sychosis
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:48 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends, where you buy it from, because it may already be derestricted, mine was when I bought it brand new, ask the dealer where you're buying it from if it has the powervalve fitted, if so then it's derestricted.

freestyler_onli
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely-willdo- he's had to order it in for me. Ill ask tomoz as i gotta get some other bits and bobs. Cool

freestyler_onli
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:00 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

dainesefreak wrote:
Keeping you nose clean might also be worth considering in your line of work. Wink

Good call!

In which case-i'll use one of my 3 catchphrases to get me off the hook:

1. It was like that when i found it!
2. You're joking?-Is it really?
3. How the hell was i to know???

Usually they get me off the hook. Laughing

Yannic
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:38 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try telebikes for a quote too, they're very competitive when you get say insurance2000.co.uk to undercut them and vice versa. 3rd party shouldn't cost too much on a bike like that.

If you've only got your CBT, by law you can only ride it restricted. It's pretty easy to tell if it is restricted, it won't go like stink. Otherwise, your breaking the law.

freestyler_onli
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:47 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i know that, but ta anyway.

Besides- i dunno if it'll be worth it as ill probably get another bike soon anyway. I'll check out the insurance group though.

Ta.

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:06 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Re: New Bike Q's Reply with quote

freestyler_onli wrote:
1. Insurance
This is my first bike and i'll probably only have it for a few months maximum anyway. Any particular insurance companies you guys can recommend??

Insurance wont be cheap at all, if its your first ever bike and a brand new one at that, your best off phoning round plenty of companies getting them to beat each others prices.

Quote:

2. De-restriction Rolling Eyes
My mate who im selling it onto afterwards says i should get it de-restricted. Ignoring the legalities-do you think it's worth it??

De-restriction is simple and I'd say it will be worth it, but only once you've ran the bike in (obviously.) Dont ride like an idiot and you shouldnt have any bother from the plod.

Quote:
3. I never had a car/bike before, so in the Manual- does it tell you specific oils/stuff to buy or can you use any oils etc....

It will have some information in as to what Aprilia recommend. Really, as long as its run on fully synthetic 2 stroke, it'll be happy for a long time.

Just my opinion here, but you've made a nasty mistake going for a brand new 125 2t race replica in the middle of winter. For starters, you've never had a bike, so no doubt it will be dropped in some way or form. Secondly, they hate cold weather, so it'll make running in a lot more awkward. Thirdly, you will lose quite a considerable amount of cash on it, whether its immaculate or not.

Still, I have an RS myself and they are gorgeous to ride, so take care of her. Smile

freestyler_onli
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:27 - 01 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willdo!

I agree about the timing/age+price of bike- but unfortunately it's the only thing i can do- im on a time limit so i cant wait for the summer- but if im careful and do things with caution-i should be ok.

Insurance- i expected it to cost a bit anyway so it doesn't really bother me Confused

I haven't collected it yet-but when i do i'll ask the bloke a few q's about it. Ta for your help guys. No doubt i'll be on the 'Workshop' forum saying 'My bike wont work and i dunno whats wrong with it.' Wink

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 01 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya pal, theres a good forum you can go to that has a specific RS125 section the site is https://www.125ccsportsbikes.com

They are quite helpful, some more than others.

As for the RS heres a few of my own tips....

Take note of the digital temperature gauge on the dash - it is your friend. Never ride off until it has reached at least 40 and never never never wring its neck before 55-60 degrees.

Be careful when lifting the tank. If you have a paddock stand, make sure you put it on that before you lift the tank up. As the tank is hinged onto the rear subframe it can put a lot of pressure on the little lugs either side of the hinge. If you have the tank on the side stand obviously this stresses one side more than the other. now these little lug things are piss weak and WILL break at any opportunity!!

any more q's just give us a shout!!

Wink

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 01 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Villers wrote:
Take note of the digital temperature gauge on the dash - it is your friend. Never ride off until it has reached at least 40 and never never never wring its neck before 55-60 degrees.

Its all down to personal choice when to set off. I wait til its about 35 to pull away and stay below 6000rpm until its reached a respectable temperature. Its not thrashed until its above 60 though.

I remember Keith (Kickstart,) saying he pulls away on his as soon as he starts the bike, keeping revs low until its warm enough to take higher.

You should get some advice from the dealer, instructions on how to run it in. Idealy they'll say not to pull away til the engine has reached a good temperature (I was told 35 degrees when I bought the bike from a dealership after having a full rebuild.)

Just take care of her. Thumbs Up

freestyler_onli
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:47 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely- ta guys! I can't wait to pick her up.

Separate issue: I was told of these....'things' that you stick over the tank which may help your 'private regions' if you crash head on. Erm-some kind of padding you stick on infront of your 'ahems'. Any idea what i mean or shall i shoot myself now. Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:55 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I believe you're refering to one of these, a tank pad.

Sadly, in the event of a head on crash it offered very little protection, but it does protect your tank from being scratched by your jacket zip in day to day usage which I believe is the main intended use of them.

freestyler_onli
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

F*CK OFF!!!!

I just got quoted by insurance2000 and it's more than the sodding bike!!! Evil or Very Mad

sychosis
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:59 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I insured my rs first time I found that CIS were the cheapest

Bomberman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rampdale were the cheapest by about £100 for me when I first insured. I think they may have ballsed up though Very Happy Previously, I just went through the Yellow pages and checked out small local insurers, usually way, way cheaper than the big companies whose adverts you see (but I'm not sure how effective that would be for bikes).

freestyler_onli
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gone with Bennetts- still a lot but cheapest by far.Well- a few grand for fully comp but its better than others.

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have given Danny a shout, he could probably have saved you a few hundred quid.

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Bennet's are cheap. I paid £400 less than last year, even with an extra 6 points on my licence. Bad bad boy that I am. Twisted Evil

freestyler_onli
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop the presses! I thought Bennetts was good-but then i got a phone call from a company- can't remember who (good start) and their quote beat bennets by £300 Shocked

So i had this one. Went to bank- shifted whole years payment by cash into their account with the promise of stuff delivered first class.

Looking back-the word ''mug'' springs to mind......... Laughing

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm struggling to understand how people can say that Bennets were cheapest for them. I've not done a single online quote for me, my mum or my brother on any bike in which they came out anywhere near cheap, let alone cheapest. Bennets always wanted 500+ for me, but ERS using https://www.clickquote.com only wanted £295 when I phoned.

Bomberman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaggis wrote:
I'm struggling to understand how people can say that Bennets were cheapest for them.

Agreed. They were abysmal for me Thumbs Down They strike me as the Admiral or "insert big and expensive insurance company name here" of bike cover to be honest.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 152 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2