Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Measuring one's head (oo-er)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Measuring one's head (oo-er) Reply with quote

Evening peeps. I am off to get my very first bike helmet next week (I am still saving for the bike Embarassed ). I read somewhere that it is a good idea to measure your head before you go, so you have a rough idea what size helmets to try on.

So my question is, how do I measure my head? Is it all the way round? Just half way? Front to back via the top of the head? etc.

Also, once I have measured it, is there a standard size chart to say if it's Small, Medium Large etc.?

Ta for any help.

stryker
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:47 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why measure your head? you could have a weird shaped head. I just tried helmets on at the shop.

Finglonga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stryker said....
Every helmet is different, you will find the ones on display are bigger than a fresh one out of the box, due to 'Billy Big Head' and all his mates trying to squeeze their head into it.
When you find a demo one that fits ask the assistant to try a new one on and go from there.

DON'T buy the display helmet!!!!! Chances are that someone has dropped it at some point,I have seen it happen and the assistant just put it back on the shelf. Shocked

Walk around the shop for at least 10 mins to see if there are any tight spots that may give you a headache. There is nothing worse than going for a long ride with a helmet that doesn't fit properly.(its too late when you get the lid home as most places wont have them back as you may have dropped it)

Above all make sure you are 100% happy with it, if in doubt try another one on. Don't buy one just because it has a good paint scheme on.

Oh and don't let anyone rush you, take your time as when you get your bike you will be spending allot of time wearing it so it needs to be nice and comfy . Wink

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta very much for that.

It is my stepdad who is buying it for me for my Christmas (well actually we're going halfers), so we are going into town next week for the afternoon so I should have plenty of time to try them on.

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:18 - 30 Nov 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup just try them on. Get the person your with to push and pull it a bit so you can tell if it moves or not. Get one that feels a little tight, but not daft, as they will stretch and mould to your head.
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

freestyler_onli
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:14 - 01 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine yesterday- as they said-i literally tried mine on in the shop. There was a really nice one-but it was a size too small. Ask them about things to help the prevention of 'foggy visor' due to breath of whatever. It may not affect you-but my visor steams up. So i was told these things called 'fogcity' visor inserts or Motrax Fog Free spray. Have fun!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Azmodeus
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:21 - 01 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with a fog city insert - The bloke in the shop fitted one for me, and my visor has never steamed up.

Wish I could get some for my glasses Confused

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 01 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azmodeus wrote:
Go with a fog city insert - The bloke in the shop fitted one for me, and my visor has never steamed up.

Wish I could get some for my glasses Confused

The anti-mist spray, whilst hopeless on visors, supposedly works really well on glasses. My brother reports this is the case too, though I've yet to see it in action.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 153 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1