Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

battery problems

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dam_buster
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:04 - 01 Dec 2004    Post subject: battery problems Reply with quote

Right well, i have been having problems with the battery discharging itself and i was told it was the Rectifier.

So i ordered the rectifier had it fit , Had 2 pay £124.99 in total.
I went home thinking the problem had been solved. went inside for dinner , come outside after few hours , attempted to turn moped on, and not much happened a whir and the noise of the starter motor, which gradually got slower, and nothing.

So does anybody no what might be wrong,, sorry for the big paragraph, im in a hurry and trying to type quick

any help will be greatly appreciated

Cheers

JIM

stryker
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:41 - 01 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a multimeter?

Dam_buster
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:45 - 01 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont no, lol probably not , what does it do?

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 01 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an electronic device which lets you measure all kinds of electrical parameters such as voltage, current, resistance and other things.

Basically, you can diagnose where the fault lies by the the behaviour of the voltage across the battery when you try to start it.

I'd charge the battery up assuming that it is flat, and try starting it straight off. If the battery still discharges, then I'd complain to the shop as they evidently haven't fixed the problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:57 - 01 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

A multimeter measures electrical current, voltage and resistance. You can get a cheap one for a fiver. You will need one if you want to stand any chance of tracking down an electrical fault.

Does it have a spark?

Will it bump/kick start?

If it is 12v try jump starting it.

Dam_buster
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:12 - 01 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would kickstart if it worked Sad the gearing is apparently knackered?

130 quid 2 repair

so i cant kick it Sad

i have to keep recharging the battery if i wanna go anywhere, which is silly, and the battery just loses its power,

JIM

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:16 - 01 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried a new battery in it? They don't last forever and this is the time of year when they go duff.

Retro-Man
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:38 - 01 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

multimeter £2.99 in maplins

could simply be that the battery requires a reclamation charge, most modern chargers built within the last 3 years carry out this type of re-charge automatically.

stryker
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:18 - 03 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or your bike is not charging said battery. Not really possible to tell without a multimeter.

One question. Are your head lights brighter when the engine is reved when compared to the lights when the engine is off.

Dam_buster
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:20 - 03 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea they are,.,

doesnt matter now as i took it back 2 the garage who fitted the new rectifier and solved the problem for free

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 14:22 - 03 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dam_buster wrote:
...solved the problem for free
Which in the end was?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:22 - 03 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
Dam_buster wrote:
...solved the problem for free
Which in the end was?

They cocked it up but won't admit it? Wink

stryker
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:11 - 03 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the lights were brighter with the engine running it does suggest the charging system was working.

Dam_buster
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:31 - 04 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad i dont get it.!!!! If the garage are saying theres nothing wrong with the battery and its charging perfect then why in the world was it flat when i came out of work today! Mad

this thing is starting to piss me off! and its starting 2 hurt my pocket , alot, might just fix it up and sell the bastard

any ideas on what may be wrong?

GF's dad told me that his kawasaki was having the same sort of problems and he said that it might be the electric ignition (CDI???)

could that be it?

Any help greatly appreciated.
need to get this hunk of junk working as i need transport to work and school Sad

Thanks.....

JiM

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:03 - 04 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your multimeter which by now you will obviously have bought Wink

Set the scale to Volts DC with 12v in the range (usually 0-50v).

Check the voltage accross the terminals of the battery (one lead on positive terminal, one lead on negative), it should be 12v when charged. Now start the bike and check the voltage with the engine running, it should rise to around 14v when revved a little. If this happens your charging system is working.

Now check for an earth leak. Set the multimeter to milliamps. With the ignition OFF, disconnect the positive terminal from the battery and measure the current THROUGH this cable (so one lead on the battery positive and the other on the wire that normally connects there. DO NOT measure between the two terminals of the battery or switch on the ignition or you will fry the meter) Any reading into the 100s of milliamps suggests a resting current leak so either something is staying on somewhere or there is a partial short circuit which is discharging your battery.

Clean the top of the battery with deionised water then dry it and spray a light misting of WD40, I have heard of salty condensation on the top of batteries causing them to discharge at this time of year.

If this checks out OK, I would just replace the battery, they are not all that expensive. In my experience they can go so they will take a charge but not hold it for long. The battery on a scoot with an electric foot takes a hammering, a cheap one could easily be knackered within 18 months.

spacecowboy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 01:58 - 04 Dec 2004    Post subject: Battery Reply with quote

As Stinkwheel says, his checks will show you if the charging system is working, or if anything is shorting the battery. If you find it needs a new battery, an 'Optimate' or similar charger is a great investment.
Just remember even with that, a battery still has a finite life.
Thats why they don't have a very long guarantee.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dam_buster
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 02:01 - 04 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok guys ill get a multimeter asap and do the things u have suggested This is a lot of help.

Cheers guys and gals!

JIM
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 119 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1