Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

?6000 to spend. Need Help. And a bike :P

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

0ni
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:39 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: £6000 to spend. Need Help. And a bike :P Reply with quote

Ok second post - if u havent seen the first then - "hey dudes" Razz

Will explain circumstances first:

I have £6000 to spend.

Passed my theory yesterday (yay!) got my cbt in the next few days followed by a 'few' days intense training to get my full license.

There is one certainty - im buying a '00 gsx-r 600 for £2,450

Now I understand that this bike is far from forgiving or easy to learn on for a complete novice to biking (which I am) but my reasons for getting it are simple.

a) I love it.
b) The price (scratches on the fairings - otherwise completely sound 12k miles, years MOT and TAX - plus i would be getting it resprayed anyway)
c) I love it.

So this means that the budget is now down to £3,550

With this budget I would like you to give me an idea of a good learner bike - nothing less than a 400 - not bothered about condition of it cosmetically as long as it will last the winter and doesnt mind getting dropped Laughing

This budget has got to include

1)Second "Learner" Bike
2)Insurance for both
3)Quality leathers thatll last and save my life
4)Quality helmet
5)Bike security budget
6) Anything ive missed

For example - doesnt have to be detailed just prices and tips on the learner bike:

£1000 old sports 400
£1500 insurance
£300 leathers
£200 helmet
£100 security
£20 pink sexy underwear

Thanks

hasta
oni

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:55 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

A GPZ 500 (Kwak) would probably do the trick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 00:59 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

why dont you buy a learner legal bike i.e. a 125 so you can ride right away on the road then sell it for what you paid for it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:00 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest getting something like a Honda CB500 and using that until you're comfortable on it and riding in general and then upgrading to the GSXR600 when you're ready.

I wouldn't get set on a particular GSXR600 until you're in the position to buy one, as the one you are looking at currently will be sold by the time you come to be buying and there is no point in buying it now and leaving it in the garage. Probably be worth at least considering the other sports 600's as well.

With the leathers and helmet, go along to a bike shop (somewhere big bike Hein Gericke or somewhere else which has lots of stock) and try on lots of helmets and leathers and get whatever fits you best in your budget. Oh yeah, "anything I've missed"; boots and gloves are a must have.

Security wise it really is up to you, where is the bike going to be being kept? If it's going to be locked up in a garage and only used on sunny weekends there isn't much point in spending lots on security but if it's going to be kept on the street in centrel London and left on the road outside work every day you should be looking at getting a good alarm and some other bits as well.

How much the insurance costs for the two bikes really depends on your situation; where you live, how old you are, if you have any claims or convictions (they do care about car claims), what type of cover you're going to get, what security you have fitted, if you want them to cover you for commuting and if you want them to cover you for taking pillions, and other bits. Have a look on www.clickquote.com to get some quotes but bear in mind online quotes are a lot more expensive than you can get them over the phone.

How old are you?

0ni
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:28 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
why dont you buy a learner legal bike i.e. a 125 so you can ride right away on the road then sell it for what you paid for it?

I was originally going down this route - had a test drive of an rs125 around a dissused car park - the pitch of the noise really got to me - i never realised it sounded quite so much like a scooter! Not my thing really!

The gixxer is personal choice - it is going to need a little tlc and a respray which I will do myself and this is going to take time. Plus im not willing to ride my soon-to-be pride and joy out into a Scottish winter with no experience at all!
So instead learn on a cheaper to insure big bike that needs some work on it but will get me through the winter. Practice the paint job im going to do on the gixxer on it - not worrying about arsing it up (which shouldnt happen! Laughing ).

So then 6-8 months down the line im ready to ride my tidy gixxer about with experience on a big bike and a summer to look forward to!

If I was to take the gixxer off the road completely over the next 3 months (dont want to - i still want to ride it - hence buying it now - just on nice days with little ice and no rain Razz ) is there some sort of personal contents insurance i could cover the bike from getting nicked with? So i only have to insure one bike at a time?

cheers

hasta
oni

0ni
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:30 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
How old are you?

19 Sad

Cheers though that was really helpful - I did think about gloves etc just classed it all as leathers Razz

cheers
oni

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:49 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

0ni wrote:
If I was to take the gixxer off the road completely over the next 3 months (dont want to - i still want to ride it - hence buying it now - just on nice days with little ice and no rain Razz ) is there some sort of personal contents insurance i could cover the bike from getting nicked with? So i only have to insure one bike at a time?

If you want them to be able to be used on the road and to be covered for theft they both need to be insured. You're not going to get any personal house contents insurance which will cover the bike, you need to get TPFT (third party fire and theft) cover instead of TPO (third part only, which is the legal minimum).

If you want to be able to use both you're best off getting two insurance policies as it will also mean you get two NCB strings building up, so if you do have to claim from one you've still got the other.

0ni
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:18 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant in an ideal world I would like to take the gixxer out a little over the winter depending on how confident I felt and how the weather was holding up - I probably will just save the money instead tho Neutral

If I was to build up to seperate NCBs would I be able to say to an insurer somewhere down the line... Ive got 1 years NCB on a gixxer and 1 years NCB on a <insert £250 bike here> - Would it count as 2 years NCB?

thanks again

oni

nc30 chick
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:28 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your getting a bit ahead of yourself. You havent even done your CBT and your on about buying a gixxer 600!
Why dont you buy a 125 to learn on, buy your gear obviously, get through your test and then sell the 125. That way the extra money is sitting in your bank earning interest instead of a bike going to waste in a garage somewhere, while paying out 2 sets of insurance for no real reason.
If you buy this gixxer and drop it you will cry! learn to walk before you run Rolling Eyes
Also look into insurances for the gixxer, you may have a bit of trouble as your only 19 insuring a 600 sports bike. I dont know much about insurances but I dont think having 2 policies for 1 year will count as 2 years NCB, but feel free to correct me if im wrong.

The other thing is, are you planning on getting the bike restricted? You cannot do your DAS until you are 21.

0ni
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for advice chick should have stressed a wee bit more my reasons for getting the gixxer!

I managed to barter the chap down to £2200 for a 12k mile bike in great condition, it was a deal anyway but he has a new bike and his gf forced the sale through Smile

The bike needs a bit of touching up to one of the fairings which will give me something to do. Im buying the bike because of a price. The whole walk before run thing applys here.

What I actually said in my first post was that im getting the gixxer because i want to get that but im getting another bike and what should that other bike be??

The dealer whos handling this (its the dealers mates bike) also has a '02 CB 125 T on offer for £500 which he is bringing up aswell.

Not going to ride the gixxer for a while - cheers tho

hasta
oni

nc30 chick
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:28 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand that but you do realise that you cannot legally ride it unless it is restricted. Unless your very rich I do not see the point in buying 2 bikes, insuring both and having one sitting in the garage doing nothing. But thats just what I think Rolling Eyes

Alternatively if you all that spare cash you can always give it to us and we can all have a BCF party on you! Very Happy

0ni
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol I wouldnt consider myself rich...

The only thing i have to pay a month is about £75 mobile phone bill!

My mum stopped me from joining the navy by saying that I never had to pay any rent etc - still get the odd shopping though.

Work 14 hours a week part time in one job at a local college and will be starting in the bank of scotland in january with a further 20 hours a week.

I also get a healthy pension every month and plenty of support for being a student. (This is the bit that is funding the bikes, the jobs fund the social life holidays etc)

So basically I have a hell of a lot of disposable income AT THE MOMENT but in the next couple of years that will change - moving out etc

My mindset is this - Its a lovely day, just wait until some bastard spoils it.

I understand the restriction issue, a mate of mine works for a garage in the city and has a gsxr600 restriction kit and access to a dyno - all mine for the price of a good night out Razz

In terms of the insurance I got some very healthy quotes on the cb 125 AND the suzuki but ive decided to just insure them one at a time leaving the suzuki uninsured (but covered by a personal property insurance provided its classed as off the road). If its uninsured then hopefully itll stop me wrecking it before im ready.

So the budget as it stands:

£2450 Suzuki GSX-R (Including £175 delivery - bartered down from £3070)

£500 Honda CB 125 TDE (Free Delivery - bartered down from £695)

Total £2950 Twisted Evil

Which leaves just over £3000 for leathers, skid lid, lessons and insurance.

Hein Genke or summit like that was suggested for gear which has a store in glasgow that ill check - any other suggestions or rough guides to how much I should spend etc

Any tips on keeping warm this winter?

Cheers for all the help this far

hasta
oni

nc30 chick
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:16 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

For kit the best thing you can do is go to Hein Gericke or another motorcycle clothing accessory shop and try some bits on, some fit different to others and what fits one might not fit another.
Your looking to be paying about 300-500 for leathers, approx 150 on boots, 300 on a lid, then between 30-50 for gloves. Coldkillers are good for the winter, you can get full body suits, jackets, gloves, socks that all go under your leathers. Lessons and test will be approx £450 ish. Wouldnt have a clue on insurance but it wont be cheap.
Good luck

0ni
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The insurance is coming it at the £1000 mark - going to speak to the chap on the forum who seems to be able to do a damn good job of gettin people cheap insurance.

My mum just pointed out something thats not going let me stick the bike in the existing shed/garage so I am going to have to buy/ build a new one.

£500 give or take for a big metal workshop effort Very Happy somewhere to take the ladies lol

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 16:51 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

0ni wrote:
but covered by a personal property insurance provided its classed as off the road

I really don't think it works like that, otherwise wouldn't a lot more of us being doing it?

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:

I really don't think it works like that, otherwise wouldn't a lot more of us being doing it?

I didn't think it did, but it occurred to me that if you have something sorn, and it's not on the road, hence not insured to be ridden, is it covered against theft by anything? Can't you get seperate theft insurance for belongings, including bikes?

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 18:54 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice you spedning loads on fancy leathers etc, but just £100 on security. Just think if that bike gets nicked, that £500+ you have spent on bike equipment will be to waste, get the bike nice and secure first.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

0ni
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somerset Scratcher wrote:
I notice you spedning loads on fancy leathers etc, but just £100 on security. Just think if that bike gets nicked, that £500+ you have spent on bike equipment will be to waste, get the bike nice and secure first.

Cheers for reading but that was just me asking how i would like people to gimme a breakdown of the spending.

Proper bike has alarm/immobiliser - Thinking about some sort of tracking package - not just something to get my insurance down - something that would actually stand a chance of gettin back to me!

Something I never included was the workshop in our garden which will house the bikes - still to be delivered but the ground has been prepared for it and ive got a ground anchor concreted in - this is something I managed to do while I was doing the garden up for me mam (part of me not paying any rent has got to do with me doing slave labour in the garden Razz )

So the question is - What do people recommend for when the bike isnt at my house locked in a garage concreted into the ground and protected by a couple of alarms lol Would be a shame to go to all of that effort to have Mr White Transit van come along with some liquid nitro and blagging onis bike!

Any tips on Disc locks/Whips/Chips etc? Personal preference or do some really work better than others.

(Cheers scratcher for reminding me to look at security!)

Edit: Changed insurance to security

0ni
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:00 - 02 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
0ni wrote:
but covered by a personal property insurance provided its classed as off the road

Endsleigh insurance are quite happy to insure it for a max of £2000 (The are student possesions insurers). As long as during the duration of the insurance it remains at my term time address (which is also my home address)

0ni
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:11 - 03 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

nc30 chick wrote:
For kit the best thing you can do is go to Hein Gericke or another motorcycle clothing accessory shop and try some bits on, some fit different to others and what fits one might not fit another.
Your looking to be paying about 300-500 for leathers, approx 150 on boots, 300 on a lid, then between 30-50 for gloves. Coldkillers are good for the winter, you can get full body suits, jackets, gloves, socks that all go under your leathers. Lessons and test will be approx £450 ish. Wouldnt have a clue on insurance but it wont be cheap.
Good luck

Thanks for the advice - thats exactly what ive just done...

..just to say the service in Hein Gericke in Glasgow was superb - they well earned their money.

Got HG PSXR Jacket and Pants Combi for £250
EDZ Undersuit for £40
Alpinestar gloves for £84
AGV V Flyer skid lid for £140 (down from £190)
And a Hiprotec CE Back Shock for £21

total £546.99

All i need to get is boots - couldnt find the perfect fit in Hein Gliche (they were missing some half sizes on some brands) - but will be going back in a week to get them

all in all Razz

Got Gear. Bikes arrive tomorrow morning. CBT Saturday. Training 3 days next week Laughing

thanks for the help
hasta
oni

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:46 - 03 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww Oni, did you try bikesorce on the corner? I find them much more useful than hein gericke...

Who are you doing the cbt with then?

0ni
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 05 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

instigator wrote:
Awww Oni, did you try bikesorce on the corner? I find them much more useful than hein gericke...

Who are you doing the cbt with then?

I tried bike sorce but it was the actual hein gericke leathers i liked! My helmet ( agv v-flyer) was also reduced there Laughing

Did my CBT yesterday with Bike-It in Paisley - getting a new license plate and insurance tomorrow on the CB, will practise all week (nothing better to do) and ive got my first lesson towards my full test on Sunday Laughing

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 07 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I done my DAS with Bike-It, very nice guys.

0ni
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 07 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you stay local?

cough**gallowhill**cough

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 07 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope, had a long way to come for it. Look in my profile at the map Razz
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 171 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2