Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brake Drum Pads

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

AcID ZeR0
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:00 - 03 Dec 2004    Post subject: Brake Drum Pads Reply with quote

How quickly do the brake drum pads wear down? I haven't had the scoot for long as I brought it second hand at 4021 miles on the clock, With full service history it's now done 4892 miles and the brake lever has to be pulled back quite far before any braking pressure is applied.
Is it normal from drum brakes to wear down quick? I'm aware I can adjust them and I know how to so it's not a real problem just wanted to check.

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 03 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want drum brakes to be effective then you need to adjust them reguarly, you just need to turn the adjuster tappets, when you spin the wheel there should be contact between the shoes and drum rather than it spinning freely. There might be a cable adjustment as well? not sure have never fiddled with drums on a bike.

Also it doesn't hurt to clean all the dust out of them every once in a while Thumbs Up You can check the brake shoes by taking the drum off, if the studs on the shoes are above the braking matierial iteself then they need replacing, however it would make a horrible shrieking noise if this were the case. Also check that the shoes are not polished/glazed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Retro-Man
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:08 - 03 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

most bikes with drum brakes have a wear indicator on the hub and an arrow on the hub lever to give and indication on wear.

When I had my old CG I was doing 40 miles a day and had to adjust the brakes at least once a month.

Cheers
Retro

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:57 - 03 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The brake shoes last for ever, and they do need adjusting. Still I am surprised that a mere 800 miles makes that much difference.

Retro-Man wrote:
most bikes with drum brakes have a wear indicator on the hub and an arrow on the hub lever to give and indication on wear.

These can be moved to make the brakes appear better than they are so do not trust them that much.

All the best

Keith

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 02:35 - 04 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr jamez wrote:
If you want drum brakes to be effective then you need to adjust them reguarly, you just need to turn the adjuster tappets,

adjuster tappets? WTF did you learn that name??? Rolling Eyes

mr jamez wrote:
when you spin the wheel there should be contact between the shoes and drum rather than it spinning freely.

Absolute & total bollocks! There should be NO contact between the shoe & the drum when you spin the wheel.
You adjust the brake so it JUST TOUCHES the drum & then back it off so it's not touching at all but there is barely any travel in the lever to make it touch the drum..

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:56 - 04 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZRX61 wrote:

adjuster tappets? WTF did you learn that name??? Rolling Eyes

Haynes manual Laughing

ZRX61 wrote:

There should be NO contact between the shoe & the drum when you spin the wheel.

The drums on my mini do not work if I do it like this, probably something wrong with them then Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Retro-Man
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:17 - 05 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

your mini brakes have to be adjusted just as you have said.
tighten the square drive all the way so that the brake is locked then back off 1/4 of a turn. this should leave you being able to feel contact between the drum and shoes without the wheel binding.

however bike drum brakes are slightly different in design and require backing off until there is no discernable contact and the wheel spins freely.

Hope this clears up the confusion
Cheers
Retro

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 05 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Thumbs Up at least I know they are ok then.

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:23 - 05 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
however bike drum brakes are slightly different in design and require backing off until there is no discernable contact and the wheel spins freely

Yup exactly right. Brake shoes tend to last bloody ages! My dads BMW has drums and has the same shoes as when it was bought new in 1972! Only about half way through their wear limits. It depends on how soft the pad material is though. at 4000 ish miles I wouldnt worry, theyve got at least another 10,000 in them Id say.
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 145 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1