BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Which SV

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mr Cass
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:17 - 06 Dec 2004    Post subject: Which SV Reply with quote

I am looking to buy a new or used SV650 in the New year and I was wondering if could any advise from those who know. I was going to buy a unfaired bike Initially but after a bit of consideration and viewing of both bikes I have decided to go for a faired SV650. I will be using it to commute to work daily and trips abroad etc. I have looked at many other bikes but this is one I really really want its just a matter of body now. Was wondering if anyone has any views they could pass on to me.

It will be my first proper big bike, I am over 35 & I am not a speed merchant, but It would be nice to know that the power is there as I want to have it for at least a couple of years.

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 20:21 - 06 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faired is good, keeps a bit of the wind and rain off. Thumbs Up

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 06 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power should do you. It will easily beat most cars. Thumbs Up

I'd prefer a screen. Very helpful for higher speeds. Much more comfortable. Thumbs Up

Is it your first bike?

Mr Cass
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:47 - 06 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Mate, I have been riding a moped come rain or shine for the last two years as a friend recommended it and kind of got hooked. No traffic Jams problems, no congestion charge, no parking problems. I have had a driving licence for nearly twenty years. Now wanting a proper bike I can Kind of grow into so to speak. I am not interested in being the next Rossi just want a nicley built bike that has a bit of fire power.

Claud 14.7 to 1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 06 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming off a ped, the SV will feel like lightening.

It will make a great first bike. 0-60 will be around 4.something. Quite possibly low 4s. Tops out at maybe 130, so ample grunt for our roads, and especially for a new rider.

They are meant to handle well, and be fun to ride. Light as well.

And they sound mean with a race can or two. Smile IMO the new ones look really nice. Older ones can be picked up quite cheaply Thumbs Up

Weed
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:42 - 06 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

After much debating, Im looking at getting one of the SV's too, probably the unfaired one, in early spring once I've got my test sorted.

I've heard lots of good things about them Thumbs Up

rizo-sri200
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:17 - 07 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claud 14.7 to 1 wrote:
Coming off a ped, the SV will feel like lightening.

It will make a great first bike. 0-60 will be around 4.something. Quite possibly low 4s. Tops out at maybe 130, so ample grunt for our roads, and especially for a new rider.

They are meant to handle well, and be fun to ride. Light as well.

And they sound mean with a race can or two. Smile IMO the new ones look really nice. Older ones can be picked up quite cheaply Thumbs Up

I went on a friends 04 SV650S and it did 131mph on speedo within a very short time and was still climbing Razz

Power wheelys in 1st and 2nd with a slight pull of the bars Mr. Green

Cheers
Jon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:52 - 07 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a '99 faired model. I had Motrax top block crash mushrooms on it, and crashed at 50mph on the M25.

The bodywork was undamaged. The only damage was a bent gear lever!

IMO, the main disadvantage of a fairing is the possible and probable drop damage and the expense of that. The fairing keeps a surprising amount of rain and wind off, and makes longer journeys more comfortable.

I think in my opinion that there is only one choice. Buy a faired model and some decent crash mushrooms (R&G are reputed to be the best) and you'll be laughing.

My bike made about 70bhp and did about 130mph. It handled well and was an absolute bargain. The main disadvantage was the corrosion that appeared on some areas of the bike. This corrosion reached as far as it was going to after about six months, so a second hand model will be about as bad as it is ever going to get. If you buy a second hand model then you won't have to watch it corrode before your eyes!

Hope this helps! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr Cass
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:37 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that mate, do you think I could pick up a used one at a good price as I was going tio get a new ?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:50 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a low mileage used model in good condition for about £3k. Thumbs Up Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 170 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1