Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

GRRRrrrr stupid leaks

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 06 Dec 2004    Post subject: GRRRrrrr stupid leaks Reply with quote

I went round my mates house to go out on her XJR400 (that i should be (hopefully) buying tomorrow). went to start it... nothing flat battery.

went to push start it, after about 15-20 mins of running up and down the road, i got it started. and it was smoking quite bad, so i left it running and went up n down the road a bit.

when i stopped it started pouring (not a drip) fuel (brownish colour and stank) out of the carb overflow. i then got it started again (wouldn't start of the electric start) and rode it down the rode, but it wouldn't idle. after getting it home again.

it leaked more fuel. then i gave up...

it had been sitting there for about 2-3 weeks and it had run fine before then.

could it be c**p in the carbs? do i need to take them out n clean them up (and forget to put the restriction washers in) or could it be more serious?

Kram

swampy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 06 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the carb float maybe sticking to me mate. Try tapping the side of the carb with a screwdriver handle or something similar. Probably wont hurt to whip the carb off and give it a clean either Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 06 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers mate. if i buy the bike,. i will do that

Ian (GPX)
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:10 - 07 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the fuel has gone off (brown in colour), drain the tank and service the carbs (take them apart, clean and reassemble), put fresh fuel in tank and all should be fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:04 - 09 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

one quick annoying question...

HOW do u remove a 4block of carbs.... it seems impossible to me Wink

i got a hard enough job doing it with 2

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:19 - 09 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant help you with removing the carbs, but the problems starting and not ticking over will be to do with the stale fuel. It should be totaly clear, if it isnt then dump it. It also clogs up your carbs if you leave it in there. The leaking sounds like a stuck float. If it were a leaking float valve it wouldnt pour out like you describe. Tapping will probs un-stick it but Id recomend a clean out.
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 10 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

wel i prolly won't be buying the bike now, gunna wait till mid-january, when my step-dads gunna take me bike shopping (with £2000-£2500) to spend on a new bike

any suggestions, anyone?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 138 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1