Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

am i being an idiot - a few questions by conpants

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

conpants
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:09 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: am i being an idiot - a few questions by conpants Reply with quote

£3.00 got me to about 16 miles on my 50cc aprilia, granted i did ride at over 13000rpm at some times, but surly a tinsy wincy 50 wouldnt be so inefficent.

or is this normal ...

also i noticed that my airfilter is missing :o

i have the box but no filter in there. problem is i can see it being a chore to find a replacment. could i just put an k+n or some sort of cone filter in its place (god i sound like such a pedboi)

exhaust

is there any nice little carbon end cans on the market, something i can match up to my existing exhaust

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of bike is this?

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

conpants
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:24 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

aprilia af1 50

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes in theory you should get double that, but it depends on the way in which you were riding.
It might be running a bit rich.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:53 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

That is only 20mpg at best, so yes I would expect it to be doing rather better than that.

First guess would be that the choke is partially on, but if it is the same carb as the RS50 then I think this would also massively reduce performance.

As the air filter is missing then maybe someone has fitted a silly size main jet to try and compensate. Think the RS uses a 63 main jet, with a 68 when derestricted.

The air filter is probably the same as the RS50, and as such is just a 6" x 6" piece of foam. Send Craig_ a PM as he might well be able to supply one (best off taking a piccy of the airbox and sending that to him as well).

Doubt you will easily find an aftermarket exhaust these days. A RS one might fit but you would need to check the shape carefully (think the basic frame is the same, but whether they moved the exhaust mounts I do not know, or if the engine is the same one).

All the best

Keith

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:39 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even riding like an idiot my GS 125 used to go 180 miles on £7 so somethings wrong!! Even if it were running rich i would have expected more than that.
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

No air filter can cause MASSIVE problems, small bit of dirt in pistons = fecked engine. quite amazeing your got away with it for so long...

My guess somebody clever decided to take it off and then told all his mates that it goes 120mph. as a horrible temporary fix try putting some tights over the space where the filter should be, idealy dont go anywhere till you get a new filter! (even a filter from the breakes would do for now)

Scooters are for keeping till you can get something else imo, spending any more than will keep them screeching along is a waste (unless you realy want to keep it at 17+)

Good luck Smile

conpants
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:55 - 11 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have spent alot on this bike, and im 17 next month, i just really love it, my little sports rep Thumbs Up

clemsta
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:06 - 12 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a company on ebay called Top Banana Racing which do chrome cone filters like a K&N, all you need to do is give them the diameter of the carb inlet and they will get you one to fit. I think they only cost about £9 delivered.

https://stores.ebay.co.uk/Top-Banana-Racing

Hope this helps

Adam
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 139 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1