Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Can you jumpstart a bike battery from a car?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fallen Angel
Franny the Nanny

PostPosted: 19:32 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Can you jumpstart a bike battery from a car? Reply with quote

As long as the voltage is the same?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:46 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Short answer is yes.

Long answer is:-

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=35904

All the best

Keith

Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:51 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but there are some important things to remember.

If you accidentally 'short' a battery (connect the neg side to the pos side) you will generate a very large electric current. This can cause a fire or even explode the battery. It will certainly melt the jump leads. You need to keep the un-insulated clips on both leads well apart.

So...

Lift bike seat (assuming the battery is under there) and car bonnet.

Connect the red jump lead to the red (+) terminal on the bike battery 1st. Then connect the other end to the red (+) terminal on the car battery.

Make sure this lead cannot come into contact with any metal on the bike or the car while you're connecting them or while you're trying to start the bike.

Now connect the black jump lead to something metal on the bike - I use the rear wheel nut (this is to keep the two leads apart on the bike as there's not much clearance around a bike battery). Connect the other end of the lead to the Neg (-) terminal on the car battery.

Now try and start the bike. If it won't go and starts to drain the car battery you can start the car but let it just tick over, do not rev it.

When the bike's running (or you've given up Wink ) disconnect the black lead from the car battery and then from the bike. Then disconn the red lead from the car and then from the bike. Do not let this lead touch anything metal while you're disconnecting either end.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:56 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Connect the red jump lead to the red (+) terminal on the bike battery 1st. Then connect the other end to the red (+) terminal on the car battery.

Worth mentioning that the reason for this is that until you have connected the black lead / -ve lead / earth lead then the bike frame is not earthed to the car, so should the red / +ve lead touch the frame you should avoid having a load of sparks.

Same reason why when fitting a battery you should fit the +ve terminal first, and when disconnecting one you should remove the -ve terminal first.

All the best

Keith

Silver 0wl
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:19 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers guys Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hawkeye
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:13 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever seen a spanner across a battery? Turns it into a light bulb Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fortuna
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 08 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done it loads of times. I keep a spare car battery in the shed for winter or when my bike battery is low Thumbs Up

BLOFLY 636
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 08:46 - 09 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Worth mentioning that the reason for this is that until you have connected the black lead / -ve lead / earth lead then the bike frame is not earthed to the car, so should the red / +ve lead touch the frame you should avoid having a load of sparks.

howerver even though the bike frame is not earthed to the car and with the +ve lead connected between the car +ve terminal and the bikes +ve terminal the frame of the bike will still short the battery out if it comes into contact with the +ve lead Idea

Fortuna
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 09 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLOFLY 636 wrote:

howerver even though the bike frame is not earthed to the car and with the +ve lead connected between the car +ve terminal and the bikes +ve terminal the frame of the bike will still short the battery out if it comes into contact with the +ve lead Idea

Because they are effectively the same earth as they are joined by the negative Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:22 - 09 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, but the main thing you are shorting out is the battery on the bike. Would have much the same effect if you shorted the +ve bike terminal to the frame.

All the best

Keith

Valentino Mossy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 09 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawkeye wrote:

Dropped my ratchet rench on the renault 5 battery once, fried the socket, the rench, melted the live and earth leads, and shat my kegs ! Shocked
LOADS OF SPARKS !!!!! Very Happy

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:24 - 10 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawkeye wrote:

My dad once connected the battery of an old Volvo estate backwards. It melted half of the electrics. Good riddance I say.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 10 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does anyone with electronicly controlled fueling go about it? i've heared of people frying ecu's changeing baterys over, or just clearing them out...
Just wondered is all...

Big Pete
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:50 - 10 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are small power supplies that you connect across the battery terminals before dissconnecting the leads, they do about 1 amp at 12v, which keeps ecu and radio memories alive. They are usually called "ecu saver" or similar.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:15 - 10 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

There can be occasional problems swapping batteries. BMW 3 series can apparently fry the clocks when you change the battery. More worrying is that it is not unknown for it to trigger the airbag occasionally on some cars when you reconnect a battery.

Biggest problem with the ECU is likely to be that most modern ones use the feedback from the lambda probe to adjust the fueling themselves for future use, so when you disconnect the battery the system defaults back to its standard (rather poor) mapping.

There are plus point to this. Apparently the old Volvo 850 T5 would land up mapping itself quite poorly if they were used slowly. Quick fix was to disconnect the battery for a short while, connect it back up and then go and thrash the knackers off it.

All the best

Keith

freestyler_onli
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 10 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you jump start if it's cold.

Git
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:56 - 10 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

One small point I would like to say is you can only jump start a 12v bike from a car, jump start a 6v bike from a 12v system and you will fry stuff.

clemsta
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:20 - 12 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallen Angel, why do you want to know this, the NS125R doesn't have a electric start so you shoudn't need to charge the battery unless it is totally goosed and won't even bump start, try testing the alternator to see if it is chargeing properly, you do this by having the bike running, connect a volt meter between +ive and -ive terminals, it should read about 14V if it's charging correctly. If it's ok then you need to test the battery, it's probably knackeered unless the bike has not been started for a long time.

Hope this helps

Adam

Minky_monkey
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:28 - 12 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out to a guy that jump started a Jaguar with a BMW, he stuffed both ECU's. The Jaguar one was £2000. Ouch!

The only way I jump cars these days is with a Boost pack, I'd never do it off a running vehicle now.

I had a peugeot 406 diesel that had been jump started and then you couldn't turn it off! I think he'd shorted the alternator.

Big Pete
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:20 - 13 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minky_monkey wrote:

I had a peugeot 406 diesel that had been jump started and then you couldn't turn it off! I think he'd shorted the alternator.

Thats likely a stuck shut off solenoid on the injector pump, happened on one of mine. Theres a manual shut off lever on top of the pump body.

Fallen Angel
Franny the Nanny

PostPosted: 14:02 - 13 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

clemsta wrote:
Fallen Angel, why do you want to know this, the NS125R doesn't have a electric start

I have a new bike - a GPZ500 - which isn't starting at all at the moment!! Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:28 - 13 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallen Angel wrote:
I have a new bike - a GPZ500 - which isn't starting at all at the moment!! Crying or Very sad

Hi

Have you tried the earlier suggestions (eg, draining the carbs, ensure the fuel is on "ON" not reserve, etc)?

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 132 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1