Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Confidence Boosting

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Knisis
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:03 - 09 Dec 2004    Post subject: Confidence Boosting Reply with quote

I've been riding a bike for about a month now, weekends mostly. Last week had a complete lost of confidence, when I couldn't filter on the A2.

Sooo.. I've just taken the week off and done about 300 miles in the past 3 days.

Day 1: Went down to Hastings (Did first filter Very Happy )
Day 2: Went down to Dover, came back in thick fog, through country lanes.
Day 3: Went into central London (Did nothing but slow speed filtering past all the cages). Fast acceleration from the lights.

Result: Confidence way up (maybe to high Twisted Evil ). Will now be taking my test (not sure about A2 or DAS yet) in Jan instead of June.

Laughing Laughing

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:54 - 09 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you mate! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

The A2 is not a very nice stretch of road, I ride it all the way to London from Dartford every day, and back in the evenings. So I'm always riding with the rush-hour traffic.

Nice to see you have your confidence back. It call comes with practice. I remember my first weeks out on the road. I was petrified, but you get used to it. You learn how to read stretches of road and drivers behaviour.

I love biking now, its such freedom.

hope you get to enjoy it just as much!

Ride safe. Very Happy

Rodger Wabbit
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:56 - 09 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Thumbs Up Just try not to get too confident and take things for granted, e.g. oh the car has seen me!

And make sure you do your test soon Very Happy

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:57 - 09 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it going. Confidence is good in the right measure Thumbs Up Wouldnt be too bothered about filtering though, it is the only thing I dont like doing too much. I will only do it if the traffic is stationary and I can see it is safe. Otherwise I have a fear of car doors being opened or people changing lanes without telling me!!
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rollins
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:33 - 10 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to be riding every day to get confident out on the bike. Sounds like the past 300 miles have been a lot of fun, keep it up - it's still going to be dry until at least Monday (in Birmingham anyway).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:14 - 10 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think the best way to gain confidence is to find a fast, good condition, twisty road, without much traffic and with good visibility through the corners. Then each time you go through it, you can take each corner faster than the previous time, and you'll get used to leaning without needing to fear what could be just around the next bend.

I've discovered a short (25-30 miles or so) ride which must have over 50 sharp bend, double bend and chevron signs along it. Drooling
The road surface is very good and smooth, there is bugger all traffic, a lot of the corners can be taken at something nearing full throttle in fifth (on my bike), and they never stop coming at you.

Anyone from Loughborough will know the road I speak of, the road to Ashby through Shephsed and back towards Hathern. Thumbs Up

Riding with these crappy greasy roads will make your riding skills better, the number of times I've had had the back slide out is ridiculous. I've had the front slide whilst hardly leant over at 10mph without touching any brakes either. Shocked All a little bit worrying at the time, but it sure gets the heart pumping and helps teach you how to ride in slippery conditions.

Last edited by mchaggis on 20:36 - 10 Dec 2004; edited 1 time in total

Barker-CBR 600
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:31 - 10 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I personally think the best way to gain confidence is to find a fast, good condition, twisty road, without much traffic and with good visibility through the corners. Then each time you go through it, you can take each corner faster than the previous time, and you'll get used to leaning without fear of what could be just around the next bend.

Remember to tell us all where it is! Mr. Green

Glad to hear it, biking is about confidence and control in a nice balance, keep both up and you should do fine. One thing you gotta watch out for on the filtering front is getting so used to it you do it in a test, it probably wont impress an examiner.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 182 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1