Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Wiring up a Kill switch...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 01:08 - 15 Dec 2004    Post subject: Wiring up a Kill switch... Reply with quote

Right.
My scooter is STILL running on and really pissing me off. Ive tried everything. So ive decided im just going to put a Kill switch in the circuit...
How do I set up a kill switch...
Cheers...

<|Binge|>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:34 - 15 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is your main fuse? if its somewhere convinient take it out.

If your going to put a kill switch in, use propper (appropreately rated) spade conncetors, solder everything, heat shrink eveything.

Can you not just make it stall? is there a fuel cut off switch? can you get at the fuel pipe and put a rubberised clam on to stop it? covering the exhaust with a rag "should" make it stall, otherwise there is a leak, covering the air inlet will do the same...

Wireing should be the last resort Very Happy somebody will know whats going on with it...

Git
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:41 - 15 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just find the problem, I know it's easier said than done no point in adding stuff as it was fine when new? Do you have a wiring diagram for it? If so send it to me if you like and I will have a scan through it and try and give you a few pointers if it helps any, do you have a multi meter aswell?

I love electrical problems, shame none of my bikes ever suffer Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 01:59 - 15 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats a multi meter...
and yes, I do have a wire diagram. Ive got 2 but Im not sure which is for my scooter as 1 of them is with the old CDI and the other is with the new CDI...

Ill scan it in and PM you it tomorrow as the garage is all locked up now...

Where else should I check for the problem...

ive a "feeling" its actually somthing INSIDE the ingition barrel BUT heres a few things ive found out...

Arrow enine running - turn off key, enging dosent stop
Arrow If the key is off and engine is still running, starter motor dosent engage wen button is pressed
Arrow when I removed HT lead engine stalled outright
Arrow If I bounce the front wheel on the floor, sometimes it stalls.
Arrow Sometimes the key is removed and the engine goes to stall and it fires back up again and ticks over merrily...

Ive taken the ingnition apart as far as I dare (pulled the back off) and Ive sprayed it with electrical spray... nothing...

<|Binge|>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Git
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 02:09 - 15 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

A multi meter is an instrument that checks voltages, you know the little toy you check battery voltage with, without one of these finding electrical problems will be nigh on impossible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 02:14 - 15 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got a electric screwdriver Wink ...
I think its probably the earth link from the igintion...
Because the ingition barrel is turning off because when the engine is running on the startermotor wont engage...
this means it has to be the eatch right?

How do i check this, BECAUSE! the problem only occours every now and then, its not always doing this.
about 70% of the time it does it...

<|Binge|>

Git
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 02:31 - 15 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

A multi meter will help big time, I would pull the terminal block off the ignition switch and start probing the wires to see if I could find the fault that way switching the key as I went.

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:08 - 15 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

binge wrote:
Because the ingition barrel is turning off because when the engine is running on the startermotor wont engage...
this means it has to be the eatch right?<|Binge|>

On all bikes the stater motor won't spin if the engines running.

I say lose wire in the ignition barrel or the first few block connectors coming out th back.

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 13:20 - 15 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Ignition ingages when my engine is running if the key is turned on, But when its off it dosent engage (but the engin is running on...)

This means that the circuit IS breaking when the key is off because the electrics are disabled...

If you understand that Wink

<|Binge|>

Lone-Wolf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:37 - 15 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

binge wrote:

This means that the circuit IS breaking when the key is off because the electrics are disabled...

Wotcha.

Correct, that circuit is breaking, hence the starter motor doesn't engage. There is another circuit that should MAKE. This is the circuit that 'shorts' the CDI unit to earth and stops the engine.
If you wish to fit a separate kill switch, then you have to find the wire from the CDI that goes to earth in order to stop it, and fit the switch between earth and that wire.. But .. if you have found that wire, then simply follow it to your existing ignition switch, and I'll bet there's a break somewhere along its length.

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 16:56 - 15 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY!
Ive found another clue Wink

If the key is removed and the headlights are OFF, then the engine will stall. If the headlights are ON then it will carry on running...

If the headlights are ON, the key removed, and the engine still running, I press the horn, or turn the indicators on, it stalls...

(even tho the horn dosent sound and the indicators dont flash when the key is out, the engine still stalls...)

Its somthing to do with the headlights I believe...

<|Binge|>

Lone-Wolf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:08 - 15 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

binge wrote:
YAY!
Ive found another clue Wink

If the key is removed and the headlights are OFF, then the engine will stall. If the headlights are ON then it will carry on running...

If the headlights are ON, the key removed, and the engine still running, I press the horn, or turn the indicators on, it stalls...

(even tho the horn dosent sound and the indicators dont flash when the key is out, the engine still stalls...)

Its somthing to do with the headlights I believe...

<|Binge|>

Wotcha.

It's sounding like a bad earth now.
When the lights are off, and the ignition switched off, the CDI unit will try and earth itself. Now if the the 'normal' earth is unavailable, it will take the easiest route which is through the headlamp bulb filament, the indicator bulb filament, or the horn. If the lights are turned on, then there is an equal and opposite voltage in that particular circuit, which prevents the CDI from earthing.

Like most electrical problems, this is just a matter of a broken wire, or an earth connection not making. Fixing it takes a matter of seconds - finding it could take quite a while.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:43 - 15 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

As lone wolf says, almost definatley a bad earth. If you want to PM me a copy of your wiring diagram I will tell you where it is (between a couple of points or a particular wire anyway).

You haven't added any auxillary lights to it have you? I had a running-on problem due to an unforseen and slightly bizarre relay issue once, although I think the chances of duplicating the fault are remote to non-existant.

simon1221
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 15 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

my tzr used to start and run perfectly without the key in because the wire in the back of the lock snapped off so didnt short out the cdi, however i did just se the seperate kill switch on the handlebars

but its annoying because the barrel was the last thing i checked

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 23:37 - 15 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had the front off the bike today...

Arrow It is NOT the ignition barrel because I pulled both wires out of the ignition and the engine carried on running...

Ive got a haynes manual Stinkwheel, But Ive no way of gettin the wire diagram onto the PC as my scanner is not working...
Ive got a digital camera so ill try a few shots with that. Razz May not work tho...

I have added extra lights (Blue LEDs) but they arent wired through the headlight loom AND the problem was about way before I put the lights in...

Ill nip to my garage and get the Haynes manual out... If I cant get a pic of it, Ill be drawing it up on Paint for a hour or so Wink

Cheers for the help... <|Binge|>

simon1221
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 16 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is NOT the ignition barrel because I pulled both wires out of the ignition and the engine carried on running...

you are actually incorrect

the wires on the ignition barrel are important because:

there is a wire in the ignition barrel which shorts out the cdi when turned to the off position

so therefore if you pull them out it will not break the circuit therefore will not short the cdi either

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:52 - 16 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I don't know if I should be telling you this... but how to jury rigg a kill switch.

Find the ignition coil, there will be a wire running between the CDI and the coil. Leave this alone, don't cut anything in your wiring loom unless you know and understand exactly what it does or I will come over there and slap you alongside the lughole. Connect a second wire to the terminal on the coil that this wire attaches to and run it up to a push switch. It should be a momentary switch (only on when it is pushed, like on a doorbell push). The other side of this switch should be connected to a good frame earth. Pressing and holding down the switch will kill the engine. (picture explains it better)

If there are two wires on the ignition coil, one if them is an earth and the other comes from the CDI.

This is a BODGE, fix the proper one!

Fortuna
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 16 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multi Meter is £4.99 from Maplins for a cheapie. I'd help but my bike is in a few bits itslef at the moment. Scan your wiring diagram. I used the macro on my camera when I wanted to do mine, it comes out quite well.
I should be of help, as I'm an Electronics/Electrical engineer.

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 22:26 - 16 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

well what I will do tonight is ride my scooter down the band and stick it in your back garden. Wink
You know where I live so you can drop it in when its finished... Razz

Right, Well it means striping my bike to nothing to get to the CDI as its behind the foot well and it means taking off about 10 plastics to get to it... Ill have a look at the weekend...

Will it do it any damage using it like this for the time being (i.e. Using the horn button to stall it when its running on?)

<|Binge|>

Lone-Wolf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:46 - 17 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

binge wrote:

Will it do it any damage using it like this for the time being (i.e. Using the horn button to stall it when its running on?)

Wotcha.

In a word "no" Thumbs Up

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 02:02 - 17 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. thats good to know...

Aslong as my Headlights are off. then the bike starts and stops fine...
Im going to strip her down saturday and trace all the wires from the CDI unit back to their earths...

Will the be earthed to the frame, or to the battery?
Just so I have an idea where to look. Because there are 2 earth wires leading from the battery to somwhere on the bike.

<|Binge|>

Lone-Wolf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:09 - 17 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

binge wrote:

Will the be earthed to the frame, or to the battery?
Just so I have an idea where to look. Because there are 2 earth wires leading from the battery to somwhere on the bike.

Wotcha.

There will definitely be one wire from the battery to the frame ( or should be ), the other could go anywhere.
Just take your time and follow them through - electrics ain't that bad once you get to grips with 'em.

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 02:15 - 17 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well cheers for the help...

I take it that it will be a good idea to disconnect the battery while fishing around with a wad of wires Wink

<|Binge|>

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:17 - 17 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT VEHICLE WIRING

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:19 - 17 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

binge wrote:
Well cheers for the help...

I take it that it will be a good idea to disconnect the battery while fishing around with a wad of wires Wink

<|Binge|>

yes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 128 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2