Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Just Passed=First Bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

sainttm
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:45 - 16 Dec 2004    Post subject: Just Passed=First Bike Reply with quote

Hi ya all,

I have been looking into which bike I should get as my main bike (dream bike lol) and have narrowed it down to....mostly the naked or trial bikes.

These are the; BMW F650, Suzuki V-Storm, Honda Transalp, Aprilia Pegaso 650, honda CB500 or anything like those that I havent come accross yet lol. So not really narrowed it down at all. I was set on the BMW but then Im going of it abit more and now gone to all those listed. I have read countless reviews but none really about any of then used. I havent got the money for them yet but it will probably be about March time next year before Im able to start really looking into getting one.

Has anyone got/had or know anyone who has one of the bikes listed and have any feedback on getting one as a first bike. Something also to consider is that it will be restricted for two years as I have a A2 licence and to be honest wont risk taking it off sooner like some people do.

Thanks in advance
Shane

Last edited by sainttm on 17:05 - 17 Dec 2004; edited 1 time in total

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:04 - 16 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would personally go for the bmw from that list if I was new to biking and was looking for an inoffensive enduro-styled bike and could afford one, although many people find them a bit sluggish after a while.

They are usually in good nick, reliable and hold their resale value well. I can't imagine that a restricted v storm would be much fun as the engine would have to be totally strangled. Transalp and CB500 are both good, reliable and unimtimidating bikes (Zero will be along I am sure to tell you about his transalp). I know nothing about the aprillia.

Also consider the suzuki DR350 if you are going to have a restricted licence. They have been making them for years, a popular and bombproof design which has the advantage of being designed to have 30bhp (rather than having to be restricted) and having genuine off-road abilities unlike the others you have mentioned (which are frankly far too big and heavy for anything other than a bit of mild greenlaning).

sainttm
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:58 - 17 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers stinkwheel,

I was thinking of the BMW and very tempted to get one but (isnt there always) I am not sure what my finances will be like come march.

I could probably afford a 1999 model but then im not sure if they still used the rotex engine in those models or if they introduced the fuel injected models around then.

I know that the GS models (i think the darker models) are all fuel injected which solves some of the problems the rotex engines had with low revs and unrealiability. Something about cold starts being a problem aswell.

Does anyone know much about the BMWs and the faults and fixes for them. Come to think of it does anyone know about the other bikes Im intrested in. maybe by knowing all about the faults before considering them I could narrow down the list to the ideal bike/s.

I have fount a few sites about the BMW that mentions normal wear and tear faults/servicing and thats how I knew about the rotex engine.

Cheers
Shane
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 134 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1