Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Broke my duck!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 18 Dec 2004    Post subject: Broke my duck! Reply with quote

Well, a day earlier than planned I plucked up the courage to take out my bike for the first time. Shocked

I only went from my mother's house up to mine (about 5 miles - if that!). Terrified all the way, stalled a couple of times, over-revved all the time, forgot to indicate, forgot to turn off indicators, missed gears, almost got squished by a bus. Confused

I chose a pretty bad route though. A couple of major roundabouts, and loads of traffic "calming" chevrons!

There was quite a bit of traffic on the roads, so I might have been better waiting until tomorrow (I am actually more nervous about going out tomorrow now that I was earlier today!)

My god, my hands are still shaking!

So does all this sound familiar, or am I just a wuss?? Embarassed

freestyler_onli
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 18 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt like that. Aprilia 125 as a first bike. I used to go everywhere by the back roads. Then i got used to the bike and started doing the main routes. Now i just say to myself 'I can do this-and i do.'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Barker-CBR 600
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:21 - 18 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just take it easy, stick to places you know.

One idea is to have a circuit, say a 3- 4 mile circular route than you can get to know well and then every time you come home/have an hour to spare go out for a spin around it.

See if you cant find somewhere with gentle examples of most things, traffic lights, some roundabouts, junctions etc... but dont forget a bit of open road!

Then as you gain more confidence on this, you'll find that other journeys are far easyer since you can apply what you know from the route you know.. to the journey.

DSA instructor told me it takes usually at least 2000 miles to 'get used' to a bike and all its quirks, abilities, strengths and more importantly weaknesses. So dont fret yet!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

shop_addict
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:23 - 18 Dec 2004    Post subject: Re: Broke my duck! Reply with quote

DanceLikeAMonkey wrote:
Well, a day earlier than planned I plucked up the courage to take out my bike for the first time. Shocked

Well done mate. As you already know, it was my first day as well. It seems I had a much more enjoyable time than you did (see my gushing on the skills thread Embarassed), but then I have about 15 years driving experience, plus cycle commuting experience.

I agree with what the others say - find somewhere quiet to get used to the bike...then start building up your road skills. Believe me, you'll pick them up quite quickly as long as you keep practising.

I had a 'moment' at a junction today. I'd been on the bike about 30 minutes and by mistake ended up at a shocker of a right turn - crossing a busy dual carraigeway. It must've taken me about 10 minutes to pull out (even though I'dve done it in no time in a car) because I was so nervous about stalling and/or turning too sharply. Anyway, I just ignored the blaring horns of the cars behind me (they ended up all going round me anyway) and I took my time and waited until I was sure the gap was big enough. I probably waited too long, but at least I didn't sh*t meself by rushing just to please the motorists behind me.

So get yourself up early in the morning, and get back out there. If you get the quiet roads I reckon it'll be no more than 30 minutes before you get the 'grin'. I got it today - grinning away to meself behind me helmet - and I just want to do it again.

Let us know how you get on tomorrow - you know you can do it.

Jo

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 18 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Jo. I was happy to read that you enjoyed yourself
(although secretly a little gutted that I didn't get the same feeling you did Embarassed ). Hopefully tomorrow I can have as much fun! Very Happy

I think that my problem was that I didn't give it a long enough go to get past the jitters. I was probably only riding for about 15 minutes before I got to my estate and parked up, and it's been about 3 months since my CBT so that's not a lot of road time. In hindsight I should really have gone straight to some quiet roads to get used to the bike.

Ah well, tomorrow the roads should be pretty clear, I know what I have to practise (stopping and starting - I'm fine when I 'm moving!), and I got in touch with my CBT instructor who has given me a route (and offfered me some one-to-one if I'm still rubbish after tomorrow).

Have fun tomorrow! (I'm sure I will as well)

shop_addict
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:30 - 18 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

DLAM what you've said makes a lot of sense. If I'd stopped at only 15 mins (or just after my right-hand-turn debacle) I would be feeling rather nervous right now. I think ploughing on for 4 hours pushed me past the nerves and into the grinning zone Very Happy

Mind you....talk about grinning. The guy at the bike dealership said, "The tank's about 3/4 full", and he took the petrol cap off the show me. I could see a bit of fuel washing around, so I thought I'll keep an eye on that because it looks less than 3/4 full to me!

Anyway, after about 3 hours riding I stopped and looked in the tank again. Horror! I could no longer see petrrol swilling around! So straight to the petrol station for me.

Ahem Embarassed ......after squeezing just over 2 quids worth in the tank, it was full to the brim! I think this car driver may need time to get to to the fuel economy of a bike! Very Happy

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:38 - 18 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah my last car did about 30 miles to the gallon on a good day and cost £90 every 6 months to tax.

My SR apparently does nearer 90 mpg and is £15 a year to tax!

Must remember to bring some cash with me tomorrow, in case I run out of gas! £5 should do it. Laughing

meyrick
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:56 - 18 Dec 2004    Post subject: Dropped!!! Reply with quote

Hey DLAM, well you did better than me! I went out earlier today before it started to rain and I dropped her! Nooooooooooooooooooo Sick Brick Wall Doh!

Got off pretty lightly for being such an idiot. I was doing a U-turn on a slope, quite wet and slippy. Didn't have the confidence to make the turn, slammed on the front brake and...over she goes Crying or Very sad

Scuffed front brake lever, scratches on the engine block and a completely mangled back brake lever. That really made me nervous because I then had to rely on the front brake for the duration of the ride. Somehow I got away without marking the shiny chrome exhaust Praying Took me an hour to fix the back brake.

Anyway, didn't make it out of first gear or the car park - but there's always tomorrow.

Paul Smile

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 18 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that you dropped it mate. I came close when I was parking up, I was reversing the bike up my path and my foot slipped, and the bike almost went over but I got it just in time! Shocked

But it's good to know that there's two of us wobbling around this weekend! At least it can only get easier! Laughing

shop_addict
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:46 - 18 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, sorry to hear that the weather p*ssed on your ride. Still, there's always tomorrow.

That was v.brave of you - I didn't even want to consider doing a u-turn. Instead I went for slow-moving traffic to improve my clutch control (although I had to ignore all the bikes that filtered past me Embarassed ), and some fast moving stuff just to up the fun factor Mr. Green

At least you've now had experience in the one thing that I'm really worried about........how to pick yer bike up Shocked

Jo

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 00:16 - 19 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing sorry, i cant help but laugh...

I really dont understand this feeling of nerves you guys are having as i was fairly confident after my CBT and was fine on the speedshite untill i wanted to do my test and bought an SR125 (which by the sounds of things DLAM is trying too destroy Razz ) now i am riding something with a lot of poke and is much heavier (had it nearly 1 week now) and am allready becoming cocky on it... i.e. not letting people overtake me in 30 zones and filtering too the front of a que where i meet up with a beemer driver who wont let me set off first so i show him who is boss (me, yay i rule)

However, all i know is bikes. I dont even have a car licence

also people treat you differant on a bigger bike where you have no Loon plates on, they get out of your way as they KNOW you will whoop their asses!

take it easy guys, its slippy as hell and DLAM on down changes (esp 2nd to 1st be gentle with the clutch as you will lock the wheel up)

meyrick
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:33 - 19 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

shop_addict wrote:
I didn't even want to consider doing a u-turn.

I decided to take myself through all the elements of the CBT again with this bike before hitting the road, so up to now I've been doing circuits, figure of 8's and U-turns over and over in a car park to get my low speed control sorted. It's amazing how small a turning circle you need after a while.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to get up to 2nd in the car park so I can get a feel for changing gear. Then all that's left is to face the traffic on a 'real' road.

Don't worry about picking up the bike. Mine feels way heavier than a scooter when I'm driving it, but it was actually surprisingly easy to lift up.

Paul Smile

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:36 - 19 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, if you want to practise gear changes, you don't need to go very fast. On my CG125 I can change up almost imediately after pulling off, and am able to shift up again almost straight away. With a single cylinder bike you should be able to ride it at stupidly low revs Smile

wildcat
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 06:01 - 19 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my cbr125 out today (why) And dropped her (why) I was actually on my way home after putting a deposit on a zx6r and I was thinking about my new bike instead of the one i was on. Some young boys kicked a football out on the road and my front wheel went over it and my back wheel went from under me. Well I got picked up off the road, and the kids had dissappeared ( Isn't it funny how fast kids wee legs can run) And I must have stood at the side of the road looking at my bike for about 20 minutes before i could get back on. I then set off home only to find that i felt like it was my first time on a bike again.
Anyway if you are a bit nervous, GOOD, You have to have a bit of respect for what you're riding. Its the respect that keeps you on two wheeks.
The minute you take her for granted you'll end up on your arse on the road.
Anyway I'm fine, the bike has a small scuff on the bar end and the football is dead. Thank god it was only a ball and not the kid that ran after it...

meyrick
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:45 - 19 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nath wrote:
With a single cylinder bike you should be able to ride it at stupidly low revs Smile

Well, it's a twin, but ok. I think I should be able to reach 2nd, but 3rd is pushing it. The issue is that the space is broken up into bays really well so it really is a stop/start situation. Nowhere else I can go really.

Blimey wildcat! Shocked glad you're ok. In my CBT I pulled away from a juction, turning right and forgot to look right! Only to see a big red car heading my way. Lucky I was on a twist'n'go, I just blasted the throttle and hoped for the best. I got away with it, but I don't think I'll be hasty at a junction any time soon Embarassed

Paul Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 138 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1