Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

LED INDYS REALLY DOIN MY HEAD IN!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Simpy2k
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:16 - 20 Dec 2004    Post subject: LED INDYS REALLY DOIN MY HEAD IN! Reply with quote

Few months ago i bought some of the LED micro indicators! Got all four of them on and they wouldnt flash at all! But when i had 3of the leds and one standard one they worked like hazard lights!So I went with just two on the rear and left standard ones on the front! Problem with this was it looked naff and they flashed really quickly! So then i spent another £30 ontop of the £60 ive allready spent on the indys! on a acumen flasher relay! Ive wired all four up and its cured the fast flashing and no flashing at all problem but now all ive got is hazzard flasher again please help!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 20:48 - 20 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically you indicate, and all the flashers are going?

Sounds like somthing to do with the diode...
Maybe if the indicators are running alot more powerful than the origionals the diode cannot stop the power of the current...

Thats all I know really, Do you have an alarm fitted on the bike, if so is it wired up to your indicators...
there is alose a diode in the splitter from the alram box which goes to the main indicator relays..

A mate had the same problem, Cant remember how he fixed it tho...

<|Binge|>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Simpy2k
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:56 - 20 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye all indys are flashing! NO alarm on the bike though! Could u ask ur mate? Ive gone back to 2 Led and 2 Normal Ones for now!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 23:57 - 20 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked him, It was the diode on his alarm which had gone. So when he indicated, all 4 indicators were being powered because the signal was bypasing the main Diode through the alarm system...

Do you have an indicator warning light, It could be bypasing through the diode in that circuit...

<|Binge|>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Simpy2k
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:31 - 21 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm if u mean a light on my dash then yeah i do?! u reckon that could have somet to do with it? Any suggestions on how to sort it?

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 00:37 - 21 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could try this...

Put the standard indicator relay back on, find out the wattage of the new indicators (LEDs)
Work out the difference and get the appropriate Resistors and wire the indicators through the resistors...

That should work...

<|Binge|>

superchoward
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:20 - 21 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Ben's: should work i am having terrible visions of when Simpy turns his bike on after doing the work, it engulfs him in flames Very Happy

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 12:55 - 21 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, Nothing Bad will happen. Basically I thinks that the LED indicators are drawing a high current which is penentrating the Diode causing all 4 lights to come on...
Thats all I can really think of atm...

Try the resistors... Its 2 a penny down maplines or wherever...

<|Binge|>

Simpy2k
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:37 - 21 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dads goin to ask the guys with bikes at his work, then gonna give motrax a ring! Crying or Very sad

stryker
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:29 - 21 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its because the LED indys are not drawing much current which is the problem. That leaves the diode as a much more tempting route back to earth to complete the circuit.

Fortuna
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:34 - 22 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Yes LED's pull a lot less current so tend to make a "hazard" type light. You need ballast resistors when doing this.
Wire it up up then put One of these across each set of indicators. So you would need to buy 2.
They literally go across the positive and negative of the indidcators. I did it on my back set as it was easier.

Fortuna
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:42 - 22 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the LED master Very Happy

Simpy2k
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:28 - 22 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link dont work mate! So Basically what i do is just stab them across the negative and postive wires off the indicators! One on left and one on the right side EITHER front or rear? Or 1 on the front set and one on the back set? Think ill put them on the front as the wires are easy to find. Could u post a pik of urs

Some thing like this?

https://clubforum.rvrccc.co.uk/modules/gallery/albums/R-c-Cars/DSC02277.jpg

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 20:54 - 22 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

A diode will resist both ways up to about 0.7v, and after that, conduct almost perfectly in the way it's supposed to, and not the other way.

The LED indicators will draw very little current, much less than normal bulbs, not sure where I'm going with this, as a bike's electric system is a lot higher than 0.7v.

But those are the facts, make of them what you will.

Gaz

Fortuna
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:52 - 22 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simpy2k wrote:
Link dont work mate! So Basically what i do is just stab them across the negative and postive wires off the indicators! One on left and one on the right side EITHER front or rear? Or 1 on the front set and one on the back set? Think ill put them on the front as the wires are easy to find. Could u post a pik of urs

Some thing like this?

https://clubforum.rvrccc.co.uk/modules/gallery/albums/R-c-Cars/DSC02277.jpg

Yep exactly like that on the front left and front right.
You are then creating a load which will make the realy flash correctly.

stryker
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:57 - 22 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazdaman wrote:
A diode will resist both ways up to about 0.7v, and after that, conduct almost perfectly in the way it's supposed to, and not the other way.

The LED indicators will draw very little current, much less than normal bulbs, not sure where I'm going with this, as a bike's electric system is a lot higher than 0.7v.

But those are the facts, make of them what you will.

Gaz

The LED indicators will not drop the voltage anything like high wattage wire filament indicators. So its my guess the diode was overwhelmed and leaks current.

Interesting though, while I've never looked at the indicator circuit I can't see what the diode is doing at the sissy indicator light.

Nerver mind, I'm pissed right now. Laughing

Fortuna
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 23 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry links not working in the other post. It's This one. You want the 8.2 Ohm.
Stupid Maplins. Just noticed they are discontinued. I have an RS account if anyone needs them. Thumbs Up
RS one HS50 8.2 Ohm £1.78 each.

Simpy2k
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:34 - 23 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://img-europe.electrocomponents.com/images/R107316-22.jpg

How can i satb this into the indys? Thought therd be some legs on it or somet like the resistors at school:S Shame maplins dont do them there one near me!

Fortuna
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 23 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You solder wires onto them. Then scotch block them into the wires. (or solder). You can get them already made Here but they are a bit dearer than RS.

Simpy2k
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:32 - 23 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i get them will i not need the acumen relay i bought? also it doesnt mention doing it how i drew on the picture it mentions putting them on the earth? do i not just plug them both into the indys how i drew?

Fortuna
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 23 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

One side of your indicator wires is earth anyway. I have done my ones how you have done it in your picture. In effect you are just replacing the bulbs for a resistor.
These are designed with the standard relay in mind so you shouldn't need the Acumen one. I'm surprised it's not working as usually they are pretty good.
Tell you what I'll do. I'll build 2 sets up for you and test them and take some pictures as I do it so you know what to do. Then if you want I'll send them to you Thumbs Up
PS I've attached a photo for you to look at. You will see in the bit I've ringed that one side of all the lights is earthed (arrows) so you can do it the way they say on UltraLED's or the way in your pic. You are effectively connecting to the same wire.

Fortuna
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:00 - 23 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS hazard flashing sounds like you may have crossed a set of wires somewhere. Usually the easiest to do this is the rears. What bike is it for? I'll have a look at the circuit diagram.

Simpy2k
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:03 - 23 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its just a case of putting the two things into my indy wires either side aspictured i shud be able to do it but im mad that i dont need the 30quid relay!!! I thought this would have sorted in anyway! shud i be ok to use the acumen anyway as my dealer has got my standard one Grrrrrrrrrrr I THOUGHT THE REELAY WOULD HAVE SORTED IT!

Simpy2k
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:09 - 23 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

1994 Nc30 Im mad with that relay though 30quid wasted it says on the website it will cure the problems so ive emailed acumen pointing out this thread and telling them i only need some 7quid bits and itll do the same as there 30quid relay!! So if poss i dont really wanna have to buy these resistors things the relay cured the fast flashing though! Were are u fortuna if ur not to far cud meet up

Speakin to a guy from one of the local meets i go to, he says the relay shud do the job of the resistors and is better cos its tidyer and out of display but shud cure the hazards so i might have got a crossed wire :S

Fortuna
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 23 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Kent.
I can see why you're a bit mad. The Acumen relays should work though but require a little knowledge to set up.
And yes unfortunately all you really need is ballast resistors. Nothing fancy really. Most people I have to admit get the relay as it is supposed to be easier, although lately I've seen a lot of shops offering the resistor.
If the ralay cured the fast flashing I would check all the wiring is correct first as it sounds like you may have simply put one in the wrong place.
Was the ralay a plug in one or did you have to connect wires to the end? Got the instructions for it still? can you scan them at all?
Was it 2 wire or 3?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 129 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2