Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Battery chargers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

shop_addict
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 11 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:43 - 30 Dec 2004    Post subject: Battery chargers Reply with quote

Sad

Ok....so I left my bike standing over xmas....outside, in the cold (although it had a cover on - which is the best I can do). And now of course the battery is utterly dead.

The breakdown people are on the way to start me up, and then I'm off to buy a charger so that next time I have to leave the bike standing for a few days, I can sort it out myself.

So can anybody recommend a charger? As with most things, I'd rather pay for a decent one than have to buy two crap ones.

Ta
Jo
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

shop_addict
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 11 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:18 - 30 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahem.

Yamaha TW125 Owner's Manual - Section 5.1:

"...to enable starting, one of the following conditions must be met:

a) The transmission is in the neutral position.
b) The transmission is in gear with the clutch lever pulled and the sidestand up."


Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

I went outside to check that no-one had flicked the engine cut-out switch, and then the eureka moment struck - it was still in gear! Amazingly, when I actually did start it, the battery was sound and it started up first time!

The only good thing to come out of this (apart from the fact that I hope I never do it again) is that I realised the stupid mistake myself, rather than when the breakdown guy got here.

Tune in tomorrow for the next installment of Novice Cock-ups. After all, there are plenty more for me to try - running out of petrol, dropping the bike, forgetting to remove the lock before I pull away..........
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

robbiehall
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 21 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:45 - 30 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optimate chargers (or similar Intelligent ones) are good. You can get a wire harness to attach to the bike and simply plug in when your bike is tucked up in the garage.

Rob
____________________
The older I get, the faster I was.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

satans_BIG_helper
Nearly there...



Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:55 - 30 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbiehall wrote:
Optimate chargers (or similar Intelligent ones) are good. You can get a wire harness to attach to the bike and simply plug in when your bike is tucked up in the garage.

Rob

Ditto... work a treat just plug it on to the connector fixed to your bike and it does everything the battery needs Wink Or if your tight fisted like me bump starting is the way...

Luckily my battery has not gone so flat that the bike fails to start Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

freestyler_onli
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:09 - 30 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im charging my battery. I hope i haven't fucked the bike up in another way cos i love it to bits. It's only a 125 but i like it! Bloody cold weather!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Steve H
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Oct 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:15 - 30 Dec 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optimate trickle chargers are fantastic, mine's on the bike as soon as the cold weather appears! If you've got a local Hein Gericke they're selling the Oxford Products version of the Optimate for half price at the moment as it's just about to be superceded by a newer model.

I bought one for my Dad for Christmas and it does the same job as the Optimate for less than £20.00 Thumbs Up
____________________
Mellow Yellow
The BCF Top TEN - 2010, 2009, 2008, The Original.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Craggles
Traffic Copper



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:58 - 04 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear you sorted it!

I remember sitting there for a few minutes wondering why my bike stalled as soon as I put it in gear... sat there messing about with the clutch cable etc...

Then I put the sidestand up and had no problem (apart from a very tight clutch)!

The GPZ dosn't have a sidestand switch so don't get that anymore... just have to make sure its up before I pull off!

Craig
____________________
If this signature is blue, you're riding too fast
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 276 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.46 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 55.02 Kb