BCF: Bike Chat Forums

50---> ????

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

jon88
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:45 - 08 Jan 2005    Post subject: 50---> ???? Reply with quote

hi, im a new member on this forum but am on quite a few others allot, curently im on a peugeot jetforce (scooter) unfortunatly, i was going to get a rs50 but the insurance was too much, any way in june i want to get a rs 125 a mito or a bigger bike eg. a vfr or zxr 400, but i havnt ridden a geard bike apart from my mates rs125 but only slowley never got into 2nd , so do you guys recon that i will get the hang of gears easy?? i can pull off every time on my mates bike and dont think changing up will be a problem but its changing down that i think will be a problem.
also do you recon its a good idea to just get through my test and onto a 400 or something as fast as possible or take my time and spend a year or 2 on a 125??
thanks jon

AdamBoyle
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:56 - 08 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends. If you have a 125 for a year then it'll knock down the insurance on your 400. I found getting the hang of gears on a bike really easy but then each person is different...

Im not trying to slag of RS125s because there'll be a war, but dont count out an NSR125 either. They look just as nice IMO and they're more reliable for longer if you pick up a decent one to start with..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 16:52 - 08 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I'd set foot in a car or on a bike I was worried that changing down would be hard.

Don't worry, it seriously isn't!

It might be a good idea to take another CBT on a geared bike, depends if you can come by £100 as easily as that, that'd let you get a days practise on a geared bike and not having to worry about anything.

Otherwise, head down to a local car park/industrial estate with a biker and just keep at it.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jon88
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:15 - 08 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah theres no real worry about the cbt, because my mates dad owns the local bike shop so we can just use the training bit they got, the advantage my mate has is that he is on the company insurance so he is going straight to a 650cc when he passes his test, obviously he is going to fit the 33bhp ristrictors lol
thanks for the help anyway
jon

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 18:35 - 08 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pah, I was dead worried about gears for ages as I only have a moped. Last Sunday, jumped on my Dad's Hornet 600 with no experience on bike over 50cc and gears.

In under half an hour I was powering my way up too 3rd, admittedly I am a very quick learner.

The hardest part is realising that the lever on the left isn't your rear brake. teehee. I kept stalling it cause I was letting the clutch out too quickly, changing up and down is really easy as well. Thumbs Up
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

shellshock
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:50 - 08 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

After driving for 13 years EVERYTHING about a bike scared me, but personally I found gears to be one of the easiest things. Practice is the way to go IMO, it is largely common sense, you can hear when you need to change gear, and as long as you the bikes sequence it ain't too hard.

And I would go straight for the 400, you've obviously got some road experience, and TBH I went from a RS125 to a ZXR400 and find the ZXR way easier to ride, but you might want to consider the insurance thing that Adam said and get some quotes first.

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 11:25 - 09 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't jump froma 5hp scooter to a restricted 33hp 400, it's just a recipe for disaster. I'd say you get a rs125 and get used to gears for a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 13:19 - 09 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youngun, nothing wrong with jumping from a moped to a 33BHP bike as long as you are sensible about it.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

shellshock
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:30 - 09 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

youngun' wrote:
I wouldn't jump froma 5hp scooter to a restricted 33hp 400, it's just a recipe for disaster. I'd say you get a rs125 and get used to gears for a bit.

Youngun, are you seriously suggesting that you wouldn't be able to do yourself some damage on a RS125 ??????? I know I nearly died twice on mine, by not understanding the 2t power Laughing

ebo
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:28 - 10 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gears are fairly easy to master after you get the hang of them it just takes practice. 125s are ideal to start with, they give you a good look at and life on a roadbike, braking and cornering, road conditions etc. At the sort of speed lower level speed that you might take corners on a bigger bike but oviously they've not really got any top end. (110 mph good in our leage... lol.)

I own a aprilia mx 125 (same 33bhp engine as the rs) so no offence to others in the 2t leage Thumbs Up

jon88
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:11 - 10 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

hay thanks for the help guys, @ youngun i see what your getting at mate but thinking bout it i would be just jumping onto a rs125 that im only gonna b keeping at 15bhp for a few weeks anyway then thats 33bhp anyway once its got that nice little povervalve Very Happy

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 00:00 - 17 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

shellshock wrote:
youngun' wrote:

Youngun, are you seriously suggesting that you wouldn't be able to do yourself some damage on a RS125 ??????? I know I nearly died twice on mine, by not understanding the 2t power Laughing

Nope, i didn't say that. I said a 400 is a recipe for disaster, and a 125 is a bit tamer.

Kye
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:43 - 17 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I find a 400 is more tamer than a 125 stroker, I have a 400 and have riden several 125's, and can say that mine is a damn site easier to ride because of having power everywhere, whilst the 125's are very on/off with the power, which can prove detrimental to someone not expecting the power to come in so quick.

Once you're off your 50 and ride a variety of bikes I'm sure you'll understand. Thumbs Up

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 21:50 - 17 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm off a 50 now mate..........73.5 actually Laughing

I've ridden many 125's, although not a 400 so i don't know. I once rode a 500 but that was when i was about 13, and i basicaly let the clutch out, went forward about 20m then stopped.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 17:42 - 18 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young'un if we follow your philosophy then I am already dead. 50 ---> 600. Razz

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 04:30 - 19 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

youngun' wrote:

The way I see it is...

Moped riders are always coming off and crashing because its a moped, They sling it about, dont care about their riding skills. Under take and all the rest of it...

RS50 riders are the same because its still a moped...

Now on a 33bhp ZXR400 or somthing along those lines, you wont be coming off from your stupidness. If you do crash, It will be 95% of the time down to a true accident... On a 400cc bike its a bigger bike, requires more concentration to operate meaning that you dont have the time/option to fuck about and undertake etc...

I say go for it mate Thumbs Up And just take it easy...

Also, gears become second nature after a week or so...

<|Binge|>

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 19 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know someone who pottered about on a Speedfight for a few years and got his test built up a good ncb and bought a Triumph Trident 750. He has managed alright.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 103 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1