Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Crappy ride today - just having a moan

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 15 Jan 2005    Post subject: Crappy ride today - just having a moan Reply with quote

Took my bike to work today for the first time (Saturday overtime = £££).

Had to stop at the post office to get a parcel and the newsagent to get a paper, but apart from that it should have been a pretty straightforward 4 mile run to work, but no.

Stalled the bike a couple of times at a junction. wobbled when pulling away, had no control when riding at slow speeds and almost killed a woman who stepped in front of my bike without looking first and almost ran over one of the security guards at work who flagged me down! Shocked

It's only my 6th time on the thing, so I know it's just learners mistakes, and I just need more practise (I know what I'm doing wrong - still not getting the rev's up when releasing the clutch Rolling Eyes ).

And I've got the ride back home to look forward to in a few hours. Laughing

No real purpose to this post, just felt like moaning. Thanks for listening! Very Happy

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 11:31 - 15 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really will get used to it.

Throttle and slow speed control are things that come with time.

You'll gain the exact feel for your bike, you'll be fine.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

freestyler_onli
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 15 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing happened here-only mine was on my test Embarassed

The moral is-practice on the bike. I used different bikes which was a silly idea as i couldn't get comfortable with one.

Anyway, enjoy the ride home! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 12:32 - 15 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sure the lack of control at slow speeds isn't due to flat tyres? Pump them up if so. Smile
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 15 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You sure the lack of control at slow speeds isn't due to flat tyres

Sadly no. It is purely down to my own incompetence! Smile

And, loads of things are going wrong at work (I am on a break just now). Just one of those days I guess!

Rift.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:42 - 15 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

One day you'll feel feel more intune with your bike then ever....then you will post about how great it is!!! Laughing Laughing

Its life, you have to be crap at something in the early stages of development... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up keep it up chump Wink

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:48 - 15 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If youre wobbling at slow speed, it could be down to you looking just infront of the rear tyre. Look up into the distance, not directly infront of you (unless required) as it helps maintain your balance.

But yeah, practise makes perfect, I wobble my 500 from left to right sometimes, just something you get used to, from bike to bike I guess.

Unless you rev your bike to its maximum and THEN dump the clutch without any control, then you aren't going to wheelie your 125, so don't be scared to give it more revs. It may sound unnatural to you if you're a beginner to rev it like that, but you'll get used to it, and it'll become 2nd nature Thumbs Up

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 16:50 - 15 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah just rev it. Doesn't matter to much how you hard you rev it as long as you're smooth with the clutch... let it out slowly.

CWfan1981
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:11 - 15 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Instigator on this. The best thing to do is keep your eyes looking further down the road, its the best way of keeping your balance. Also practise makes perfect, dont get too disheartened with it, we all have those days, but you will have one day where everything falls into place and its the BEST feeling in the world!!! Thumbs Up Very Happy

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 15 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it was fine coming back tonight - shame I was too preoccupied with getting in the house to enjoy it! Sad

Ah well, more overtime tomorrow (which means another ride into work but this time with no other traffic at 7 in the morning! Very Happy )

Cheers for the advice. There'll be no moaning tomorrow, I promise!

CWfan1981
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 15 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

what bike you riding mate???

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 15 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

A huge...
...powerful
... hell on wheels

... Yamaha SR125 Embarassed

CWfan1981
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:57 - 15 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol... well everyone has to start somewhere. Its still quick enough to keep a smile on your face, at least for a while.

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 15 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find myself doing this face a lot too: Shocked

CWfan1981
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:04 - 15 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

does it make you go faster??? lol

CWfan1981
Two Stroke Sniffer

does it make you go faster??? lol

Stu_666
Brolly Dolly

Two words, 'Industrial estate'. I had the same problem with you stalling the bike when I first got it when pulling away from junctions or on a slope. Best thing I found was to pop along to a nearish industrial estate, say on a Sunday morning/afternoon when its deserted, and just go round and round the block several times and practice pulling away from junctions. Its good as you've got no impatient w*nkers behind you and you can get a real feel for the biting point and how much umph to give it.

DM
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:41 - 15 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu took the words out of my mouth. Finding a nice quiet spot to practice will allow you to relax and concentrate.

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 15 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem is finding the time/weather to practise. I'm actually getting a lot better, but just really need to get some road time in (I've only been out on it about 6 times since I got it a month ago!)

ian_s
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:41 - 15 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this helps but what I found switching from cars to a 125 was that you need to slip the clutch a lot more to get it to pull away. I used to stall because I would dump the clutch the minute the bike started to move and it would bog down and stall.

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 15 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, I have gone from driving for 13 years to riding the bike and it's horrible being a learner again. I'm sure that it was just as tricky learning to drive a car, I just don't remember it.

Key67
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:33 - 16 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The slow speed problem - is it when you are moving real slow, like when you did u turns? If it is, why not try the dragging the back brake trick? I find this helps me loads when moving slowly in traffic through towns etc. Just the smallest amount can really help.

If it helps, I'm nigh on a year down the line from passing my test and I still have crappy rides. They aren't as crap as my early ones though! Like people have said, it does get better and with it the smiles get even bigger! Very Happy Stick at it!

Key

Please visit my lads music site - Thanks! www.afhmusic.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

meyrick
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:20 - 16 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey DLAM,

Just read all of my old posts - that'll bring your confidence back Laughing I start work on Monday and I'm supposed to be good enough to ride there myself (through the middle of Bristol - aaah! Shocked) but it just hasn't worked out that way. It sucks that there will be no time for me to practise now, unless I learn in the dark Sick

Also, the slow speed thing could be gears. This was primarily the cause of my crash, so maybe worth thinking about. Are you changing up too soon or not changing down when you need to? I can't drive a car, but according to my dad you need to pay much more attention to being in the right gear all the time on the bike. I went nuts on the gear changes last time I went out and it definitely helps, especially round the sharper bends.

Paul Smile

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:33 - 16 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
why not try the dragging the back brake trick

I am absolutely shoite at using the back brake for anything

Quote:
Also, the slow speed thing could be gears

No, it's definitely my poor use of brake/clutch/throttle as it was happening when stuck at traffic lights and junctions, going from stop, then ride ten metres, then stop etc.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 01:44 - 16 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just takes time.

Took me a short while to get used to riding bikes.

When I jumped on my 500 thats when I got scared, had to ride it 90miles home down motorways and The only real motorway experiance I had was delivaring the SR125 to you!

I would perhaps take the bike for a long rideout somewhere with some biker buddies (if you have them) as when you get back it will just feel natural too you!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 115 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2