Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Learner 125 advice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 20 Jan 2005    Post subject: Learner 125 advice Reply with quote

Hi im a new member Very Happy and am looking for some help on which learner legal bike to choose for around 600/700 quid. Im not really bothered about getting a racing replica like the Nsr,Mito Rs etc just something that goes with minimal fuss and got mpg. Im looking at something like the Honda cb 125 or Suzuki GN 125 or Yamaha sr 125. Advice on these would be greatly appreciate. I currently own a Aprilia SR 125 racing Scooter at the moment so what will the transistion from a scooter be like ?

kev98
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:45 - 20 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldn't be that difficult to change from a scooter to a bike after an hour or so you will get use to the gears.

If your not intrested in a sporty bike you should have a look at the Honda CG 125 its cheap to buy and run. Very nearly Indestructible and cheap insurance

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:47 - 20 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had look at some but dont like the idea of having front drum brakes! Its a really silly thought but its just me! What are Yamaha sr 125's like?

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 20 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an SR125 (bought it off Dodsi who posts on this forum).

It's not the fastest bike in the world (I think it's a little slower than the CG125), but it will still do around 60mph on a good day. You get 90ish mile to a gallon, it has the front disc that you mentioned, plus - and this is my favourite bit - it is electric start, so you don't have to mess around kickstarting it every morning!

The Hondas are quite little bikes and with me being 6 foot and 17 1/2 stone I felt I would look a little daft perched on one. The SR's are a little wider and sturdier looking, but they are also slung quite low, so they are fine for little people as well.

I know there are some SR haters, but all in all, it's a nice bike to be learning on.

Here's a pic of mine:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/dance_like_a_monkey/bike.jpg

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:27 - 21 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i like them and have seen a R reg one in Bradford on biketrader for 795 quid,with 5,000 miles on it. Which looks to be a good deal.
Are they reliable runners? Because one of the main reasons im selling my scoot is the fact it needs lots of tender loving care and is prone to drive belt Snappages and also i want to do my bike test this year and move onto something bigger like a bandit next year.

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:34 - 21 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only been riding if for about a month, but have had no problems so far (the front brake is binding, but apparently that's just been caused by crap on the road).

The fact that riding schools mainly use either the SR or the CG should tell you something about how reliable they are!

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:18 - 22 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

What reg is yours? I've seen a R reg one for 800 quid in burgundy colour,looks quite nice.

Jrod
Page 3 Girl

PostPosted: 03:47 - 22 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the bike I did my test on. For that I shall always love the SR as she did me proud. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:59 - 22 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines a 2001 '51' Reg. Got if for £900, which I will make back when I sell it in the summer and get a big boy's bike!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:05 - 22 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you thinking of doing your test soon, if so the 4 stroke is ideal.

I actually thought along the lines you said, I actually intended to keep my 4 stroke for two years. However I soon wanted more power and got a NS125 2 stroke. These can actually be got for around that price and you probably want get bored so quickly.

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 12:57 - 22 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wouldn't be against a front drum when it's wet!

When it's raining heavily my front disk is nigh on useless. Whereas my rear drum is as poor as it always is.

The only downside I can see to not having a front disk on a small capacity bike would be you can't use a disklock.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:01 - 23 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most 4stroke 125's like the GS/CG125 will not feel as fast accelerating or as quick as your Aprilia SR. If your looking for something cheap, that performs reasonably well, your ruling out most 4stroke options really. If you want a road bike in the commuter style specifically then i would look for any of the older 125 2strokes like the KH125 or GP125, but an older sporty 2stroke like the RD/TZR, MBX/NS, or AR or RG125 would also be worth considering. have you thought of a trail bike? If your interested in a trailie, it opens up a far bigger choice of certain popular machines like the KMX and DTR, which IMO are the most versatile and fun to ride 125cc bikes your likely to find at a reasonable price.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:45 - 24 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the bikes you mention will give you the reliability and MPG you are after. Though I would recomend the GS125 suzuki above the GN as it is lighter as it hasnt got all the costom bits on it.

As for drum brakes, on a machine like the CG/GS etc they are more than good enough. My GS brake was good enough to stoppie on (my instructor showed me, not tried myself) so that was enough for me. Also the linings last forever!
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:51 - 25 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,thanks for the advice,im seriously considering a kmx 125 which is for sale by a lad on this forum. What are these like bearing in mnd its a G reg?

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 18:01 - 25 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they're lovely bikes.

Nice 2 stroke aswell, and they're pretty nippy, don't expect massive top speeds, but the acceleration should be pretty damn good.

G reg is nothing, but obviously do take someone with you when you look at it to make sure all is well. Buying old 125s is always a risky business, they will have been thrashed by nearly every owner.

BEWARE WHOEVER BUYS MY BIKE!

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rift.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:09 - 25 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about supermoto/trail...??

there fun, quite hard goin bikes (they can take the road with great enjoyment and live to tell a tail bikes) and when your really really good at riding you can wheelieee everywhereeeeeee!!!!

its up to you in the end though, whatever takes your fancy!!!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 25 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously check all the normal wear and tear items, such as chain and sprockets, wheel bearings, suspension, brakes etc etc.
KMX's are a great 125 and actually very robust. They are tough, and dont tend to suffer alot of damage in spill's compared to a sports, or roadster 125. The down side of them being tough and thier off road image is that they are more likely to be trashed off road, and taken on MX tracks and other terrain thats not suitable for them. The Biggest issue with DT/KMX's and most desirable trailbike 125's is the theft issue. I would never buy one of these bikes without alot of history, unless it was a known stolen recovered bike with the paperwork to prove it.
Powervalves can wear out and break off, which will not cause any engine damage other than poor running. brake discs and the rear shock tend to wear out quickly, and also ive known a few have burnt out rectifiers and other minor problems. Steering head bearings also can go quickly due to lots of wheelies etc..
Best thing is to take someone with you who knows a fair bit about bikes, and have a big check list of what to look for. Take a test ride to make sure the clutch, gearbox, and brakes are working ok. If you find anything thats worn or needs work doing, use it as an excuse to knock some money off the price until you feel that its worth what your paying, against whatever you might need to do to it.

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 25 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is i dont know anyone reliable enough,bike owners i do know are teenagers on their RS's. If somebody from the Northwest is willing to ride down with me and have a look at this KMX pm me.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 97 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1