Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Help me Dodsi, you're my only hope!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 21 Jan 2005    Post subject: Help me Dodsi, you're my only hope! Reply with quote

... unless someone else know the 2001 onwards SR125 Very Happy

Trying to get the pads out of the front brake on the SR125 so I can clean the crap out of the pistons (turns out the bike uses a different caliper than the one in Haynes - typical!)

What is holding the pads in place? There seems to be a lip on each side of the pad which stops them coming out, but I can't see any way of removing them without dismantling the whole caliper?

I did this picture from memory, so it may be a bit dodgy, but it might refresh you memory on how they look.

Cheers!
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/dance_like_a_monkey/brakes.jpg

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 20:55 - 21 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont you have to pull the 2 pins out which hold the pads in. Or is that on the Haynes ones?

Nice pics tho Wink

Its probably different to yours but on my speedfight (AJP brakes) they are like this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 21 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your pic is similar to the Haynes one, but in Haynes it only has one bolt. There's nowt like that on mine that I can see. There appears to be one bolt-type-thing that holds the whole caliper together (it has a rubber nipple on one end, and an Alen bolt on the other) and it is on the far right of the caliper. But if I take that out, it looks like the whole caliper comes apart which can't be right (or can it?)

Grrrrrrr.

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 21:54 - 21 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually callipers are held together with 2 proper bolts. The bleed nipple wont be holding it together. Neither will the hose bolt.
DONT split the caliper as you will have to bleed the system. which is Evil or Very Mad

have you tried wiggling the pads about...

<|Binge|>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:13 - 21 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I tried wobbling them and the pads move backwards and fowards no problem, but because of the metal lip, there is no physical way that I can see to get them out without taking the caliper apart.

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 01:23 - 22 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my brembos you have to tap out two metal prongs, you just tap them out with a hammer.

Some photos would probably help..

Gaz

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 01:26 - 22 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right,

Its hard without being able to see it.

you need to undo one bolt and lift the caliper (its only a 2 pot caliper) and slide them out, you dont have to take the caliper off to remove the pad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:57 - 22 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too cold to be playing with the bike today, but I will have another try (and post photos if I get stuck again!)

Cheers!

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 02:16 - 23 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok and may the force be with you. (following on from the title of the thread)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 23 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm still stuck Mr Dodsi. Sad

Any chance you could mosey over to the Workshop forum, where I have stuck some photos, and tell me which bolt gets the pads out.

Ta very mooch.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 17:21 - 23 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok

DanceLikeAMon...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 23 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are the wind beneath my wings! Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 99 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1