Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Info of bikes im intrested in buyin

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hellsknockin
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:43 - 25 Jan 2005    Post subject: Info of bikes im intrested in buyin Reply with quote

Hello from a new member and a new rider.
I recently passed my CBT and am using a 2nd hand CG125 which is working wonderfully ("S" Reg).
Had it since I passed the CBT back in November and now im iching for more. Well what i mean really is that im more or less 6ft tall and the CG125 is like abit cramped to drive so im looking to get a new bike. I use my bike mostly for getting to and from work which is around 25miles round trip a day, 5 days aweek. As its not very nice weather out around where i live atm i'm not driving much on weekends but i am looking forward to summer Smile
At the moment i am happy sticking with a 125 as i am still learning but im wanting to get a bike that fits if u understand my meaning, ive been asking around at work and everyone's Honda mad, there are at least 6 bike users where i work and a good 75% of them say Honda for 125 bike use. I have been looking at the Honda CBR125r which I believe took over from the nsr125? which a friend has at work but he's ran it so hard its dieing a horrid death which is a shame Sad and the other bike ive looked at is another Honda, the Honda XL125 varadero.
Now to my questions...

Firstly... the price... now in my local Honda dealership they have both a CBR125r and the Varadero, the CBR looks meaner and cooler in my eyes, faster and more stylish but the CBR is around £1000 cheaper than the Varadero??? that just seems weird to me, ok i may be new to bikes but a faster,sexy bike cheaper than a slower not a sexy bike just seems weird to me, can any1 tell me what makes them so different in price pls? I was going to ask the salesman in the shop but he was busy with another customer and i had to get home.

Second question... Now this question is a typical i want to look cool and not look silly and be left at the lights watching everyone else go past me laughing at my CG125 kind of question Smile Again with the CBR125r and the XL125 Varadero in mind what are the speeds that i can expect out of these machines? now the CBR125r has 6 gears so i imagine 6th must be a nice cruising gear for 60-70mph? with a top speed of?? 75-80mph i ask this cause i have briefly looked on the web but have not found anything stating the top speed on these two machines but i did find out from hondas web site that the CBR125r has a higher Bhp than the Varadero which hopefully means it'll pull away at lights abit faster than my current CG125 Wink

If anyone can answer these two questions that would be great, i havent set my mind on either of these two machines im just wanting something with abit more how can you say, PHAR??? than my current CG125 if possible.

I will be later on taking the full licence but for the time being it is a means of transport getting to and from work and i need something abit better than my CG125 learning bike.

heh was a big first post Smile i imagine these same kind of questions have been asked before but i hope someone finds the time to reply with their ideas

paulodd
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 01:12 - 26 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome mate.

First off - Cor another CG, there must be a large group of us now, we shall take over the world Very Happy Twisted Evil Wink

And secondly i don't know too much about the CBR or the Varadero but i personally wouldn't go for the CBR. Many people on this site would agree that the CBR isn't as great as its cracked up to be, and its not a great bike for the taller people like yourself.

Just a suggestion but why not keep your CG for a little longer, take your test sooner and then get a slightly bigger bike like a restricted 400 or 500? OR just get a second hand older 125 like a MZ until you take your test. I have herd that the MZ is a good 125 if your 6'+. There is no point buying a brand new bike if your going to take your test in the near future and then move on to a bigger bike. Unless your made of money and wish to buy me a new bike as well Very Happy Praying

Let us know what you decide to do Thumbs Up

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:46 - 26 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.

Stay clear of the CBR125. You'd be best going for a second hand RS/NSR, if you are staying in the 125 category.

At least they have a little more go about them.

The CBR sells well in the UK, largely down to teenagers thinking they are 'cool' and with parents that can splash out that kinda money on a first bike. But in reality it's a poor successor to the NSR. It just doesn't compete both in looks and performance. You'd be better off with the CG that the CBR.

But really you should save your money and get your test done and get something bigger - you'll thank me if you do. I'm sure other forum members will agree here.

Hope this helps,

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:25 - 26 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Pretty much agree with what mark says. You could pay for your test, buy a kawasaki er5/gpz 500 suzuki gs500e or even a honda cb500, get it restricted and insured and you'd still have a couple of hundred left over to spend on what you wish.

Arrow £1000 bike

Arrow £150 test and training (hopefully)

Arrow £600 insurance (can vary but this is quite high)

Arrow £150 restriction.

total = £1900 give or take £250

OR

Arrow £2400 CBR125 Sad

That way you wont get hit with depreciation when buying a new bike (cbr125....I mean, come on Wink) and you'll have a bike that you wont get bored of AS quickly.

Thumbs Up

Makes financial sense, thats for sure Cool

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:48 - 26 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boys are right. Put up with the CG and book your test. All 125's are small apart from DT and other trailies. No point in up grading from a 125 to a 125, doesn't make financial sense as said above.

Book your theory and sort some lessons.

(Hang on to the CG, they're for forgiving when you fall off!) Mr. Green

Hellsknockin
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:22 - 26 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for the replies so far, same thing i've been told by other people at work, but its the 5 day aweek being cramped on the CG125 which has just gone into service 10,000 mile mark as it's playing up (slows down to 40-45 in 5th!) to tell the truth im very happy with 125's in general which is why i wasnt to bothered about getting a bigger bike, but i will take anything everyone has said here and rethink what i want out of a bike cause like every other bike user they in the end want a bigger bike Wink

Steve

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 22:40 - 26 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give it a month and your CG125 definately won't be 'enough' for you.

My MZ 2 stroke eats CGs at the lights and I'm bored of it, I want more acceleration and more speed.

Just stick with the CG, get your test done, and get a cheap ~600

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 96 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1