Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

we dont do test rides.....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

simonthepiema...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:39 - 28 Jan 2005    Post subject: we dont do test rides..... Reply with quote

I was in a big shop today looking for a helmet (one of the large out of town stores) and got chatting to one of the sales guys/ perhaps even the owner - wasn't sure, and he said they didn't do test rides on bikes! (not that I was buying but if i was) Is this standard practice??

he said all our bikes have a warranty and are very good etc but if I was parting with 4 grand I would at least like to now I am going to feel happy on my new bike. Now I understand he doesnt want hayabusa test pilots coming in all day going for test rides and doing burnouts round the corner but if a car dealer didnt offer you a test drive ina 4 grand car youd tell him to where to go. or is it just me?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:05 - 28 Jan 2005    Post subject: Re: we dont do test rides..... Reply with quote

There are plenty of reasons for not doing test rides.

However, in my experience, the decent places normally do allow test rides. The more sales-focused places often care less about service and more about getting sales thought the door.

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 21:09 - 28 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work at a bike shop. We are not as big as CMC or Pidcocks but we are by no means small. We have a good selection of bikes. We are insured for test rides, but it is not standard practise to offer them. If a customer seems really interested then we will OFFER a test ride, the people who normally ask for a test ride are the tyre kickers. Normally you can tell them a mile off. A genuine customer will have a really good chat with the saleman and a proper good scout around the bike first, then the salesman will offer a test ride if he thinks the customer is serious enough and it may clinch a deal. The tyre kickers are the ones who give the bike a quick glance and then say, "I'm after one of these R6's, can I have a test ride, I might buy it".

DM
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:25 - 28 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scooby wrote:
If a customer seems really interested then we will OFFER a test ride, the people who normally ask for a test ride are the tyre kickers. Normally you can tell them a mile off. A genuine customer will have a really good chat with the saleman and a proper good scout around the bike first, then the salesman will offer a test ride if he thinks the customer is serious enough and it may clinch a deal. The tyre kickers are the ones who give the bike a quick glance and then say, "I'm after one of these R6's, can I have a test ride, I might buy it".

Exactly what I was about to say! When my friend was considering buying his Roadwin, he went in and asked for a test ride and they declined. However, when he returned and talked with one of the mechanics for a good 30 minutes, he brought the keys out and let him go for a ride. The next day I went down there with my friend and the mechanic let ME take it for a ride as well, knowing full well I wasnt the one buying it. They just have to be convinced Smile.

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:00 - 29 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

I took my bike for a test ride, but that was after I'd paid my disposit on the bike.

It was a Honda main dealer, and I know they do test rides.

I'd walk away from a garage that refused me to take it for a ride.

It's only them that are losing out!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 29 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I requested a test ride and was declined I would buy the bike somewhere else where I could, simple as. May even go as far as taking it back to the decliners to make sure they know they lost a sale.

True Blue
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:51 - 30 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor devines in Glasgow wouldn't give me a test ride on one of their bikes. I bought a bike elsewhere. I was in a few days later to look at some bike gear and the salesman came over straight away. " You in for another look at the bike" he said. No thanks mate, I bought one elsewhere.

I think it was about then that he clicked that I was actually serious about buying it. Rolling Eyes

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 14:10 - 30 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are various insurance reasons why you might not get a test ride, eg yesterday me and Goose were in a Triumph shop and the guy said he'd have no problem giving goose a ride on anything up to 600cc, but over that their insurance won't cover them. He did offer to call up and try and get one-off cover in the week though.

Another dealership, a much bigger one, were cool with any engine size as long as he had the licence to back it up.

I reckon the little dealers are the ones who'll struggle with the required insurance cos I bet it's damned expensive.

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 19:22 - 30 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shop where I bought my Hayabusa from let me take quite a number of bikes out for a test ride.

I just went in there with lid and leathers. Had to pay to test ride the bike though (£20/hour) but this was deducted from the purchase of the bike.

Let me ride any size bike, although did want proof that I was serious when I asked to take the busa out for a spin, just showed them the insurance quote on their web browser and show them a mini statement from the cashpoint to show I had the money for the bike in my account.

Really didn't fancy crashing though as there was a £750 excess on their policy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git

PostPosted: 21:44 - 30 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never by a bike if I wasn't able to test ride it first. Any garage that refuses are not serious about selling the bike. As for small garages not being able to afford the insurance, I still find it hard to see how my friends at DMA Racing can afford to let people take Tornados/TNTs/F4s out for demos, but they do and it nearly always results in a sale. Maybe they can't afford not to allow test rides Confused

romperstomper...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:44 - 02 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I purchased my bike I thought it a bit strange that you couldn't test ride it , I wouldn't dream of buying a car without a test ride ! Still it was the last one in the showroom and unregistered so they had a reasonable excuse !

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:58 - 02 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsychoHippy wrote:
I still find it hard to see how my friends at DMA Racing can afford to let people take Tornados/TNTs/F4s out for demos, but they do and it nearly always results in a sale.

I suspect they might be a bit more reluctant to give me a test ride, if turned up on a crashed old dr600 with scuffed leathers, compared to someone turning up on a shiny expensive bike Smile.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 88 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1