Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Here is it..my first bike!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

sainttm
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:50 - 28 Jan 2005    Post subject: Here is it..my first bike! Reply with quote

Hi all,

Well after the run around with the last place looking at the BMW I thought I was never going to get a bike without getting ripped off...then along come John Carr Motorcycles in Derby and sold me a sweet Suzuki SV650 (naked).

It has all the right curves sounds sweet...honeslty if you could a woman like that and take them to bed yould be made lol Twisted Evil

I havent riden it yet (dam restricted licence) and no TAX, I went on the back as a pillion when test riding it and it was sweet. It was mainly through a business town and alot of stop starting but then thats what I will be doing, so its all good.

Im leaving the TAX till Tuesday (the first) that way Im not paying for Jan and missing a months worth of TAX for the sack of a few days...its really killing me though, its just sitting there seducing me...its like its saying "come ride me hard big boy" now who in their right mind ever turns down a offer like that (well me i guess cuz of the tax but there you go).

So I hope you like it, I did decided to go with the SV as it was recommend from people here and I do have to say I get a little wood on from its looks ;P

Just some general spec; *its a 650 V twin,
*70bhp (restricted to 33bhp for two years ...brill Sad ),
*Its got a cat 1 alarm (which i did manage to set off and its bloody loud),
*A scottoiler (which the dealer didnt tell me about so im not sure they knew lol),
*A pair of bumbers and the huggers on its way (its getting hand made and then courried out to me)
*ummm theres two wheels and a seat and some lights..soz thats about it Im just getting abit silly now....well sillier.

Cheers
Shane

NickD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 28 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bike! Thumbs Up

My brother had the faired version, and it was a riot to ride, he put an Art can on it ( the blue one is a pretty good match for the bike), and it sounded fantastic. I've had a couple of bikes from John Carrs over the years, and they've always been pretty helpful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 01:13 - 29 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sexy bike I wanted a naked SV650 but settled for an ER-5

I am dead jealous
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:38 - 29 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet bike Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Very Happy

Is it restricted already by the dealer?

If not, go to www.sv650.org and find some free ones from owners there.

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:44 - 29 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:

I am dead jealous

You mean 'couldn't afford a naked SV650 so settled for an ER-5' Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Going2fast
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 29 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very very nice, love the colour Very Happy Thumbs Up

G2f
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sainttm
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:06 - 29 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I am dead jealous

I looked at the ER 5 but it wasnt curvy enough for me. I have another pic from the back, going up along the bike to the front and you can really see the curves (although perspective makes the rear look much bigger than the front..its not the case there about the same).

Thanks all for the positive feedback.

The dealer did end up cleaning the front folks as they were slightly corroded but I cant remember what they said they did to it. Its was some type of polish I think, does anyone have a idea of what im on about? All I can remember was that it was a name and a number after it (I think...).

Cheers
Shane

sainttm
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:41 - 29 Jan 2005    Post subject: Help!! Crisis Reply with quote

I have just went to the bike to start it and leave it running for a bit and nothing. I rung my uncle up and told him the symptons and he said the batteries dead.

Now heres the problem, I know nothing about nothing for motorbikes. I know I need a trickle charger (dont know if theres more than one type or where to get it from), I cant get to the battery (the manual says its under the front seat yet the seat wont move).

Then theres everything else, it all hit me like a ton of bricks. I went through the tool kit that come with the bike and I havent a clue what most of the tools are for.

Oh I also have a haynes manual and thats little help (well it might help me with other stuff just not a dead battery). God I havent a clue what to do now.

Does anyone one know where I can get a trickle charger from and roughly how much they are? Also does anyone now how to get the front seat off the SV650 and get to the battery?

Im off to have a look at the https://www.sv650.org/ website now, I believe that have some how to's there but I thought I would try here first.

Cheers
Shane

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 17:57 - 29 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
All I can remember was that it was a name and a number after it (I think...).

WD40 Laughing

Someone was going to say it.

On topic, lovely bike, and an optimate is the best battery charger you can buy really, it'll set you back about £45, but is well worth it IMO.

Everyone with a new bike manages to run the battery out by starting it up in their garage.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sainttm
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:15 - 29 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it wasnt WD 40, I know that one..ive got some of that for the ignition. Which is OK now its just the battery.

NickD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 29 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the fork bottoms you can't go wrong with Autosol. Thumbs Up

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 19:35 - 29 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike has an alarm too and I am not allowed to ride it til I have passed my test so every couple of weeks I let my Dad, who is covered TPO on any bikes, ride mine a couple of miles to bring the charge back up and it doesn't cost £45 either. Very Happy
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

sainttm
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:45 - 30 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somerset Scratcher
Quote:
My bike has an alarm too and I am not allowed to ride it til I have passed my test so every couple of weeks I let my Dad, who is covered TPO on any bikes, ride mine a couple of miles to bring the charge back up and it doesn't cost £45 either.

Yeah I wouldnt say thats a bad idea lol. I will however be using it most days (weather permitting).

I have just contacted the dealer and they said that they can do one of two things, I owe them some money for the delvery of the bike so I can keep it and get a charger myself or alternativily if I have no luck finding a place that sells them (or getting ripped off) I can send them the money I owe them and they'll send out an optimax charger.

Does anyone here use the optimax chargers? I understand from wha the dealer told me they have a connector that remains on the battery and has an attachment that just gets tooked away when not in use.

Sounds like the best plan, only snag is that I have to wait till tomorrow to find out if the suzuki dealer sells them.

GreyHam
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:38 - 31 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant wait to get a bike like that myself

naked bikes are so much sexier than sports replicas

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 31 Jan 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, not sure what has more appeal - naked SV or Naked Bandit - both do the same job... Confused

Bike's paint looks lush but make sure u treat it to WD40 in winter otherwise it'll corrode like shit. I guess that goes for all bikes.

Akiraprise
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 01:17 - 01 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice bike you have there, not long till you get to ride it now Smile.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sainttm
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:32 - 01 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hmm, not sure what has more appeal - naked SV or Naked Bandit - both do the same job...

True, but I have to say that the SV just called me, I seen the bandits and they didnt really do it for me..not sure why its like you say they are the same bike and do the same job. Espeically now that the bandit has a 650 engine aswell, you could have argued that the sv had abit more grunt but ild imagine theres next to nothing in it now.

GreyHam
Quote:
naked bikes are so much sexier than sports replicas

So true...I want to see the guts of the bike not some pritty thing thats all fancy.

Cheers for all your comments, much appraicated.

I am off at lunch to TAX the bike (hopefully) and then my neighbour was kind enough to sort out my battery and will fit it before I get back from work if he gets chance. What a star he is.

Doobrey
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:06 - 01 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an optimate charger, and yes, you do get 2 connectors that you leave on the battery. When you want to charge, just plug it in and off you go...No messing with removal of the battery or anything.

Doobs.

sainttm
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:28 - 01 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

well Ive finally done it..Ive took the bike out for my first ride since passing my test.

God did I stink, I am so rusty. My clutch work was poor, accelerated far to quickly (something to do with the bigger bike i would say).

I am going to go to work on it tomorrow but I have to concentrate more.

That said I did enjoy going down the dual carraige way doing 70 (which was MORE than fast enough for my first time out on my own lol).

I have decided to give the £40 to the dealer I owe and then get them to send me the optimate with the hugger.
Jammy-G This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Dan 4RR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:02 - 02 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.

I really like the bike you have purchased, especially the blue colour. Thumbs Up

sainttm
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:12 - 02 Feb 2005    Post subject: Rist Ache Reply with quote

Well isnt this just a whinny thing to say. My right wrist/hand is aching from riding the bike (no offer excercise with the hand...so no sly jokes please).

Does anyone else get this or did but managed to cure the problem. If so how did you get over it?

Also Im getting some glitch with the ignition, I stall the bike or just go to turn it on and the ignition wont responde. I know that suzuki's have to have the clutch in before it will start, so its not that and the battery is fine now (thanks to the neighbour).

Cheers
Shane
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 89 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1