Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bandit 600 Information.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 08 Feb 2005    Post subject: Bandit 600 Information. Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

In about a weeks time I'll be advertising my Aprilia RS125 to fund a bigger bike in time for my birthday in April.

Anyway, I had my heart set on a CB500. Looks gorgeous, very reliable and from what I've heard, is great for touring. Well I've been thinking and reading up on the Bandit 600. It looks gorgeous too and doesnt cost much more than a CB in similar condition (mileage, year etc.) Plus theres the added power.

What I'd like to know is why are these bikes considerably cheaper when compared to the Hornet? The riding position doesnt look any different to that of the CB so I imagine it would be comfortable for distance travelling, but would the Bandit be capable of these long journeys? (As I plan to ride to Belgium in the summer.) Are there any common problems with the older models?

Also, one more thing, will I be killed on insurance compared to a 500?

I dont really have much knowledge of the Bandit so I'm off to google some more. All information/advice is well received.

Thanks in advance. Thumbs Up
Keith.

Barker-CBR 600
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:32 - 08 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm i always thought you had a bigger bike already Keith, you seem to always be the one in the know on most matters!

When speaking (argueing) with an insurance lady about restrictor kits, top speeds and bikes types she told me the following :

Insurance companies look first at the cc of a bike.
Then at the age of a rider.
Then at the 'class' of the bike.

Then stick on all the extras of NCB, Garaging etc.

So i would say your probably looking at least some form of increase on a Bandit than a CB. However i think they are both in the same category as eachother so the increase might not be suprisingly high. Especially on older bikes.

If only i had the specifics. All i can say, sports bikes insurance Thumbs Down expensive.

On DAS or restricted?

(cause the companies dont take into account the restrictor kits.

So they will make a big huff about the sports exhaust adding on 5 mph... but no money off for a kit that takes 50mph off the top speed! Evil or Very Mad )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 23:52 - 08 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bandit is 1 or 2 Insurance groups lower than the Hornet. Basically a Hornet is 95BHP and a Bandit is 78BHP. The Hornet is a tad higher than the Bandit, but the Bandit is a long bike.

To be honest mate from reading what most people on 500cc commuters are saying seems like you get bored after a few months of ownership. That's why I decided to plunge for a 600, more of a long term bike.

As for insurance, When I am 17 I will have 1 years NCB, it will be garaged and had a Meta 357 alarm and immobilisor (this helps a lot) I live in a good A rated area and as a stupidly high guideline I did a quote on Bennetts and got an online quote of £1000 TPFT. I reckon I can get loads off when I start ringing around every insurance company.

Riding to Belgium should be a doddle on a Bandit, it is a 600 so basically not only will it be comfortable but the 600 lump will be able to cope really easily. Check the mileage on the Bandit irespective of age I have seen some S reg Bandits with only 9000 miles on the clock for a scratch under 2K.

Would you prefer the faired or unfaired version.

My verdict. You own a RS125 right now you will find a 500 rediculously boring (after a while) I think you would be better off with a 600. Karma

By the way, what is your budget? Smile

HTH
Jon.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:02 - 09 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys.

The budget will be around £1700, I'm after the un-faired model, prefer it to the S, but I wouldnt be too fussed if I had either.

I'm on a restricted license, passed my 33bhp test last November, so still got a long wait to be on a big bike.

By the time I insure the bike, I will be 18 and have 2 years no claims (well I hope I do anyway. Shifty )

After riding Dodsi's ER-5 a few times (which is restricted) it does have plenty of get up and go but your probably right, I will get bored of a 500 twin quite quickly.

I just done an online quote then with me as an 18 year old with 2 years no claims and it came out has £600 TPO, for a 97 model valued at £1500. If thats anything like the real thing, I'll be rather pleased. Smile

Looking on bike trader and ebay, a 6 year old model around 10,000 miles will cost about £1500, which would be perfect. Mr. Green

Anyway, thanks for the advice guys, its appreciated. Thumbs Up Smile

Barker-CBR 600 wrote:
Hmm i always thought you had a bigger bike already Keith, you seem to always be the one in the know on most matters!

Laughing You must be getting me mixed up with Kickstart, the other Keith. Razz

Last edited by Keith on 00:08 - 09 Feb 2005; edited 1 time in total

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:05 - 09 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, right enough, you'll get bored with a 500cc bike mate.

Good thing with bandits is that their restrictor kit shouldnt cost £150. More like £50 as its in the exhaust Thumbs Up Not the usual washers method Very Happy Very Happy

Thumbs Up to a nekkid 600 bandit

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 00:06 - 09 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think you should go 600 route then, your budget seems right, you will hopefully have 2 years NCB. Doesn't matter if it ain't a Bandit, the Fazer and Hornet are all the same basically. Smile
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 00:08 - 09 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

instigator wrote:

Good thing with bandits is that their restrictor kit shouldnt cost £150. More like £50 as its in the exhaust Thumbs Up Not the usual washers method Very Happy Very Happy

My K4 model was done in the carbs, the replace the actual carb head to restrict fuel flow instead of chucking a washer in. They say that it protects the engine much more than actually "restricting it".

Still would have cost £180 fitted. But I blagged it for free. Cool

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:56 - 09 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

They replace the carb head?

Take it you get the standard 70bhp one as well???

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 09:20 - 09 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, looks just like a rubber insert. I'll take a piccy of them later. Thumbs Up

jay12329
Dr. Evil

PostPosted: 13:02 - 09 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hornet only makes aroun 84 real bhp and runs well restricted. I havent ridden any of the other nadek 600's but i found the bandit a little heavy when i picked it up. But the bandit is older so you can get one much cheeper than the early '98 hornets.
HTH
J
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 09 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to worry about getting the bike restricted unless the insurance company ask for evidence. I'll still get it restricted at some point for the sake of the certificate but its not a high priority thing, even if it was 33bhp limited, it wouldnt be limited more than a few hours! Laughing

I've googled around for information and it does sound like a pretty good bike, much prefer one over the CB but it depends how much cash I have to spend. The RS should be on bike trader this weekend, so with any luck, will be sold in a week or two! Very Happy

Thanks guys. Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:25 - 09 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have a 1200 Bandit, not a 600, but they are very similar bikes.

Main reason the Bandit is cheaper is because they have been out longer and a more cheaply built. Air / oil cooled engine rather than liqued cooled, steel swinging arm, etc.

Watch out for oil cooler. They are hideously expensive new from Suzuki (~£450). Think the 600 has the same exhaust issue as the 1200, where most of it is stainless steel except a join under the engine that is quick rot mild steel.

Frame paint is not that good, and indeed the general finish is not great. I had frame paint crack off from my bike at 6 months old.

The rear caliper is a pig. The pads are held in with a couple of steel pins which seize in place. Take them out and put some copperslip on the pins on a regular basis. The alternative is to budget on a replacement caliper each time you want to replace the rear pads.

And if you find the 600 slow then there are big bore kits available. Think you can take it out to 884cc which should make it fairly rapid, although your insurance will sting.

I would say a 600 Bandit would be fine for long journies, just that without a fairing much over 80 gets tiring. I took my 1200 to Belgium when I worked there, and took it down to the south of France a couple of years back. M1ke took a CBR250 through France last year and survived.

All the best

Keith

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:32 - 09 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, Keith.

So in other words, they are decent bikes but will drop to bits from poor build quality if they arent taken care of.

I've just put a job application in so if I get it, I may have more to spend on a bike. Just means I'll be able to afford one in better condition and lower mileage. Newer the better as I need reliability more than anything.

Just keeping an eye out on bike trader and ebay finding out what they go for, most of the 'good' ones tend to be £1600 to £2000 ish.

My dad also approves of a 600 and he said himself that I'll get too bored of a 500, might as well get more for my money.

Thanks all. Thumbs Up

El_Bandido
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:11 - 09 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picking up my bandit tomorrow. I looked into it a lot and really wanted a hornet but they cost a fair bit more. My bandit has 3600 miles is 4 years old and is from a dealer with warranty etc = £2.5k.

I saw some nice ones around 1500-2000

Everyone says you will get bored of a 500. I got bored of the gs500 i learnt on after a few days. The bandit is a much better made bike.

The Honda is probably a better bike but you wont get a good one for the same money.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:42 - 10 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Unreliable and falling to pices are not always the same thing.

The Bandit should be generally very reliable pretty much however you treat it, but if you abuse it then it will not look very pretty.

Personally I would be tempted to pick up a cheap tatty Bandit for a while. Not much cash, should not loose much and gets you used to the weight. If you like it then either buy another one or spend a bit of time and money tidying it up (eg, frame paint is not great, but then £150 should see it all powder coated and cover the cost of new steering head bearings) and getting it how you want it.

All the best

Keith

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 10 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good idea. Thumbs Up

I've just advertised my Aprilia on bike trader so with any luck, I'll have a fair bit in the wallet in about 2 weeks. If I get what I'm asking, I should have around £1600 (Advertised for £1750 as the same models in similar condition were going for considerably more than that.)

After that, its bike hunting. Will hopefully have a Bandit or similar in time to insure for my 18th in April, but the Bandit is top of the list.

You've all persuaded me to go the 600 route and for that I thank you! Karma

Great advice all. Thumbs Up

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 18:13 - 10 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont mean to p*ss on your fire as it were but hasnt the Bandit become the new Diversion? Whereas the Bandit has been replaced by the Hornet and Fazer, or perhaps dsirectly by the SV?
If you want a more fun bike get a Hornet, theyre very quick for not much. If you want to do longer miles then get a Fazer, onto their 3rd version so early ones are cheaper (though still seem to sell well/in demand). Or the SV if you like twins and a more race orientated riding style/position.

IMHO I think the Bandit is becoming a cheap hack/couriers bike which it's probably great at but the others are simply newer and better.

If you want a streetfighter/bike to tune though get a Bandit. Cool

El_Bandido
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:35 - 10 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ridden my bandit back and I love it already. Nearly dropped it getting it on the centre stand but luckilly my mate helped me catch it Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 10 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuben, I'd love a Hornet but they are just very costly compared to other 600's. From what I've heard and been told, the Bandit is still a pretty good machine for what I want to do/what I need a bike to do.

If I do get one, it will undergo a little treatment to make it look a little more evil, belly pan, loud exhaust, just a few little bits and pieces, make it 'mine.'

I'm off to check one out this weekend, for sale locally on bike trader. My dad loves bike shopping and it'll be a good day out as he'll be working abroad for 8 weeks come next monday. I think it was £1699 but cant remember now, will just go see it for myself and try blag a test ride! Twisted Evil

Bandido, glad to hear you got the bike, good to hear your also impressed! Just take it easy on her for a while, or she'll bite. Wink

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 20:35 - 10 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Ive got a Bandit 6 2000 model i think, mine cost 1800 and was pretty a a peach and fine for me just commuting, dont like it as a twisties bike but its winter so hey Smile,

Luke

foxbat
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:26 - 10 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought a Bandit K4 as my first big and all year round bike and its great. Good choice! I'm keen to do some tinkering with it at some stage but stock, it does the job.

I have a CBR600 for the summertime but I still love the ol' Bandit and won't be in a hurry to let her go.

El_Bandido
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:24 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

my mate popped round to see it last night and we started reeling off a list of little ways to improve it cosmetically. fortunatelly we know a guy who does brading and stainless bolts etc Cool

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:46 - 14 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings everyone..

Just been to see a Bandit at a dealership up near Durham.

I now have another decision to make.

Theres 2 bandit 600's. One is a blue German parallel import with 9000 miles on the clock. Its really good condition apart from a scratch on the right hand side engine casing. (Looked like it fell off the stand) No more damage to the bike other than that scratch. It's got a few modifications, race can, smaller indicators, a custom number plate hanger and some blue renthal motocross handle bars, other than that, its standard and pretty good nick!

On the other hand, theres a similar bike. Didnt get the year, but it was red and completely standard apart from a full nexus system and some engine crash bar things. This one is a UK bike with 29,000 on the clock.

Both bikes are the same price, £1795, but I have no idea which one to go for! I was slightly put off about the fact it was imported, but its such a low mileage and in great condition, also has all the modifications I was going to do myself. But I can pay the same amount for a completely standard UK model only with 3 times the mileage. Thinking

Would a parallel import be much different insurance wise? I'd much rather have the import mainly because it has really low mileage and all the subtle mods I wanted to do myself. Looks gorgeous too! Drooling

The dealership said that they cant offer a restriction for free, but the FI international would cost £150 and they would fit it free of charge, then remove them free of charge after a week or two of getting used to the bikes weight compared to the 125. Not really going to argue, it needs to be done and it could be a lot more expensive than that.

Knisis
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:50 - 14 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly well done on looking at Bandit's. I've just insured my Bandit with Bennett's and was asked if it was an import.

I would suggest you phone an insurance company and give them the speck on the bike.

Robchester
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:16 - 16 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

parallel import shouldnt cost you any more on insurance Keith. My GS was from Germany and set me back £180 no no claims 21yr old. Try ringing Motorcycle direct - theyve got some good deals.

In relation to your hunt, what dealers have been to? There are loads of Bandits out there - i saw one in Graham Charltons over Portrack Lane on my way to work. Theres plenty kicking about in the private ads at the moment as well.

Have you thought about the SV? I know ive just bought one but theyre actually cheaper on the insurance than a Bandit and you might find an early model for about your budget. Heres an example:
https://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/adrianonline/ForSale/
They handle much better than the Bandit (ive tested both) and theyre low on running costs. The Bandit for me was a little heavy to manouvre when off the bike although to be fair to it, it was very good in town to turn in the road, slow speed etc.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 77 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2