BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bandit 600 Information.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

El_Bandido
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:30 - 16 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

29000 miles is too high for 1795. I looked at one with 15000 for the same price (also with all the trick bits like the german one you saw)

parallel import shouldnt cost anymore to insure and the mileage is much more reasonable. get the blue one Cool

SV has a good write up like Robchester says. Only reason i didnt choose one was i thought the exaust looks a bit lost on them Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 16 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only been to Tom Conway motorcycles so far, up in langley Moor, just outside of Durham. Tilistons is way too expensive, as is Armstrongs. Every time I've been to Graham Charltons, all the bikes have been pretty poor and over priced.

Tom Conway is a right cheeky bar steward! Rode up there yesterday in the worst weather in a long time so they could value my bike.

£750!! Evil or Very Mad

He said he only offered that due to the warranty which has to be sold with the bike. Said he could guarantee that the bike will be back a week later with engine problems. Thats funny as mine has ran sound as a pound for the last 7 months, since I bought the thing! Needless to say, the bike come back with me. Didnt really like the atmosphere of that shop anyway, they're all really cocky and off putting, the complete opposite to Teasdales Motorcycles down in Thirsk (If you've been there.)

I've had some interest in my bike privately so I may still go back up there for the imported Bandit. Lovely bike, but I'd much rather give my money to a better shop.

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the SV. Much prefer the Bandit/Hornet and a few others.

I done a quick insurance quote for the Bandit and being a parallel import made it £2 more expensive. Laughing

Cheers for the advice. Will keep you posted when I find something decent. Thumbs Up

Robchester
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:01 - 16 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my GS from Conways. I know what you mean tho, its as if they know everything while you know nothing. I think theyre too expensive actually for what theyre selling. I was up there a fortnight ago and didnt fancy anything. You tried Whites in Darlington? Might be a bit above your budget mind.

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 16 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not been to Whites before, heard about it, but not been. May go for a run over this weekend, see what they have to offer.

I may be able to afford a little more in about a month, got a job interview tomorrow, hopefully all will go well and I will be with a half decent job. A month or two or saving will up the budget considerably if I can get this place at Wickes in Portrack. Razz

Some of the stuff in Conways wasnt bad. I was impressed by a few things and thought the price tag on the imported Bandit was quite decent, they just had a terrible attitude. Kept questioning why I bought an Aprilia in the first place, then criticised me for buying a Derbi when I was 16. Always thought they were right!

I found it funny how they said they hate Aprilia's and dont deal with them at all, yet they had a load of RSV's on the shop floor! Laughing

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 17 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robchester wrote:
In relation to your hunt, what dealers have been to? There are loads of Bandits out there - i saw one in Graham Charltons over Portrack Lane on my way to work. Theres plenty kicking about in the private ads at the moment as well.

Just been over to Graham Charltons..

My goodness, that bike is a stunner!

N reg, 8500 miles, UK bike, red and in completely mint and standard condition, absolute stunner of a machine and never been dropped, not even scratched. £1995. I'm going back over tomorrow with a deposit tomorrow then I'll pay more towards it when my RS is sold this weekend!

So glad I decided to stop over, I dont think I'll get a better deal than that. Even happier I didnt part with my cash at Tom Conways.

Thanks for the heads up on that one! Cool

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:15 - 17 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, hate to burst your bubble kieth, but is that a really good deal?

Mileage is very low which is always good, but the bikes, what, 11 years old? To only drop £1100 in 11 years is hardly called depreciation at all! Mind you, Im not too clued up about bandit prices but is that really good?

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 17:26 - 17 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the best deal, but that is based on age. If it really is 8500 miles then that is a very good deal. Smile
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 17 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

instigator wrote:
Mileage is very low which is always good, but the bikes, what, 11 years old?

Laughing

Its 8 years old. N reg is 1996. I think its a great deal, considering its coming from a dealership which is not very cheap. Also comes with fresh tyres, new MOT and warranty.

Has a few little modifications. Stainless steel radiator cover, rear hugger and a few little bits and bobs, but the rest of it is bog standard and an absolute minter. I was impressed when I seen it.

Also noticed that the bike originally came from Teasdales Motorcycles as it still had their logo on the bottom of the plate. Cool

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 19:12 - 17 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

All hail Keith! Another member of the BCF Bandit clan! Dance!

There are loads of us now. Laughing
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 17 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somerset Scratcher wrote:
All hail Keith! Another member of the BCF Bandit clan! Dance!

Laughing Not just yet. Will be going back tomorrow to put a deposit on the bike. If nothing changes, a lad is coming to buy my Aprilia on saturday morning so that money will go straight to it. Dont think they'll want to be turning away hard cash! Wink

I'll get a photo of the beast as well. Drooling

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:05 - 19 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be tempting one more member to join the clan. Over the recent days, i've been thinking, my XR WILL NOT GET me 100 miles comfortably from whatever uni I chose to go to back to london for my holidays, so i'm contemplating getting a 98 Bandit 600N. I've seen plenty my way in assorted conditions and sub 20k miles on it for 1500 quid - the same price as i'm selling my bike for this summer. Only downside is that my old man seems to dispute the idea that a 600 is too big and that i should be happy with a 125 - well he can go fuck himself - I WANT A BIGGER BIKE AND I WANT IT NOW!

Sure, my bike's gonna be "restricted", but it'll also have a list of goodies such as
1) Acerbis cyclopse headlight (OR any insectoid front fairing/headlight)
2) Bellypan (if not provided already)
3) Undertray with integrated LED's
4) Akrapovic "road legal cans"
5) Suspension lists
Funnily enough, i fail to understand why an SV's insurance is much cheaper when i feel that the bandit has been around for longer, has a 50cc defecit, is a simpler bike, is easy to maintain and is just as common as the SV?Is it the fact that it's got 2 extra cylinders?

It maybe a fantasy, but i reckon this summer, it'll become a reality. I can see why bandits are popular amongst lads our age, and now i'm beginning to understand why.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:09 - 19 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titot182 wrote:
4) Akrapovic "road legal cans"
Funnily enough, i fail to understand why an SV's insurance is much cheaper when i feel that the bandit has been around for longer, has a 50cc defecit, is a simpler bike, is easy to maintain and is just as common as the SV?Is it the fact that it's got 2 extra cylinders?

Akrapovic road legal cans? What are they? Very Happy

As for it being a higher insurance group, as you know, the SV650 is a c. 70bhp V-twin doing c. 125 mph, whereas the Bandit is a c. 77bhp inline four doing the same speed. The SV is group 9, group 10 with fairing, the Bandit group 10, group 11 with fairing.

The higher horsepower and the way it is delivered count against you. Inline fours tend to produce peak power high up in their rev ranges, whereas V-twins tend to produce theirs somewhat lower down. Interestingly enough, the peak torque produced by the SV is greater than that of the Bandit, and lower down in the rev range.

Personally, I'd prefer the sound and delivery of a twin, and in theory at least, they're easier for 'real world riding' whatever that is, with better possible acceleration.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 11:40 - 19 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me likes sudden interest from all quarters for the Bandit. Laughing

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 19 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'll be making a few little modifications, nothing crazy, just an end can and maybe a belly pan. Just make it look and sound that bit nicer.

Which brings me to yet another question.

Will a typical race can, such as an ART, need any carb modifications? From what I've been told, a can with the same dimensions as the standard will not need rejetting, where anything smaller probably will.

It will be a good few weeks before I buy one, but I figured I might as well ask the question now and save some time. Smile

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:42 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Bandit has just landed! Its restricted too, just need one hell of a polish, which is going to be tomorrows task.

I took her for a quick spin in the street and I have to say, that thing has so much pull, I love it! Very Happy

It sounds strange while its idling, but as soon as you give it some throttle, it roars! Dont know whether a race can will be necessary, but we'll see. Wink

Will be about a week before I can take it for its first real journey, need to find the funds for insurance, which is £660 fully comp with carole nash, quite impressive considering I was only getting quotes for £1200 TPO with other insurers! Mr. Green

She's gorgeous, just need to make some real space for her in the garage. Could leave dads FZR1000 in the garden.. Thinking Laughing

Thanks for the information ya'll provided, its made me a very happy chappy! Thumbs Up

Wonderb0y
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:38 - 02 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you've convinced me to get a bandit now... After seeing one parked next to My DT for the last couple of weeks it has made me even more anxious to get one...

Cheers Guys

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 18:17 - 02 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fine, we all know Bandits are hard to resist. Thumbs Up Mr. Green

Wonderb0y
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:24 - 03 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
That's fine, we all know Bandits are hard to resist. Thumbs Up Mr. Green

I was looking at your bike... must say it looks really nice, did you buy it new?

Also what was it like going from a scooter to the bandit... or did you have an in between bike, you know the different power ratios??

Ta

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 17:19 - 03 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, second hand with only 40 miles on the clock. Very Happy

I haven't passed me test yet but have rode it a bit out the back, not on the roads and I must say there is quite a noticeable difference. I'm sure as long as i'm sinsible I'll be able to complete the changeover. Thumbs Up Very Happy

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 05 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goodness. Rode the bandit for the first time yesterday and its just insane, even in 33bhp state!

Has loads of pull in every gear so it took some getting used to compared to the old RS. That just had power above 8000rpm and could be controlled far easier.

Amazingly comfortable considering I'm not a very short person, also very well balanced. I was expecting it too feel heavy but once its upright, it stays that way very well. Only had it to 80mph so far, and that was at something daft like 7000rpm, damn restrictors, but they'll be staying in the bike til I get used to it.

I just wish I got myself on a big 4 stroke a lot sooner, far better in every way. Had a crazy grin all the way to college! Mr. Green <-- Just like that. Laughing

I'll be getting a 'race' can next month me thinks, purely for the sound. Top of the list are ART, Viper and Scorpion, the budget ones you could say. Now from what I've been told, a race can with the same dimensions as the stock can will have no difference in back pressure, therefore shouldnt need a re-jet. Could someone confirm this? I dont want to be getting a race can if theres the higher risk of dropping a valve due to poor fueling.

Thumbs Up I love my bandit! Very Happy Laughing

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 20:05 - 05 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, in top gear the top speed is only 80 with restrictors in? Shocked Sad

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 05 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
So, in top gear the top speed is only 80 with restrictors in? Shocked Sad

According to the restriction documents, it'll do 92mph @ 8000rpm or something daft like that. Pretty slow compared to the RS, but that will soon change when they are yanked out. Razz

Robchester
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:53 - 07 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Keith on getting the bike - glad i could be of service Smile.

I took mine out for its first "proper" ride today up to Durham then down to Barney and back home - 90 miles in total. Cold on the way back but the bike is awesome. Such an improvement over my old GS it pulls strongly throughout the rev range and theres no surprises (which i like) as the spread of power continues right through.

The race Scorp without plugs was annoying but once i popped them in, i didnt notice it as much. Im still considering swapping for an emarked can (to satisfy insurance).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 58 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2