Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Thinking GPS ready for the touring season?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Touring & Exploration by Korn (9 Nov 2005 - 18:47)
View previous topic : View next topic  

chrisb
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:20 - 10 Feb 2005    Post subject: Thinking GPS ready for the touring season? Reply with quote

Hi people,
Like me you may have considered purchasing GPS navigation system for your bike. I thought it would be useful for touring both in the UK and Europe, also for organising club ride-outs. Last summer my wife and I took our Harley over to the Basque country, in this beautiful but very rural country it took us virtually all day to find our mountain hotel, mind you once found we had a fantastic time using the hotel as a base for long day trips out on the bike. I thought then that a GPS would have made life so much easier, so last month I embarked on a mission to find the best value GPS for our bikes (HD Softail and GPZ 500).

It needed to be waterproof, rugged enough to withstand the vibrations of a bike, easily to change between bikes and the car, small enough to carry around when leaving the bike, easy to use and above all reasonably priced. The most expensive GPS I fond was the one used by BMW at around £1200 but the more commonly used one seemed to be Garmin's Steetpilot II, this is a very nice unit although a little on the large side. It has also been supsuperseded a number of smaller touch screen models starting from around £650 which means it is no longer in production, the good thing with this is that people upgrading, so cheap ones can be bought on ebay for around £300 but check you have the most up to date software currently V.7 and that the GPS unit is the deldeluxedel, otherwise you should look to pay around the £150 mark.

This was about the price I was looking to pay, I was happy with Garmins pedigree for making outward-bound equipment, It certainly sense as far as choice of manufacturer was concerned. Many others like TOM TOM or those with memory cards are often not waterproof! Then I came across Garmin's latest model the Quest, this pocket size unit is aimed at cars, cycles, walker and motorcycles, although Garmin has yet to product a 'powered' handlebar mount, this is due out in March. The battery lasts about two hours so you can use it with a single short trip using the Cycle mount for now then charge it with the mains adapter.

The functions are easy to get to grips with and are clear to follow, it contains most of the ready installed info most GPS have like cashpoints, fuul stfullns, Hospitals (always a good reason to convince the wife) attractions etc. Lthoughalthoughnot a touch screen this did not concern me as I have been through two PDA's that developed dead areas to their touch screens, besidedbesideould really only programme it when stationary. The screen is small but very visable, though the speaker for the voice guide is integral with the cigarette lighter plug useable only in the car, it does provide and very audible bleebs on the approach to turns on its own. All in all I was impressed enough to purchase one and so far have not been appointed although I would advise you to shop around, I paid £330 inc postage online and an extra 20 quid for the bike mount, I then found a company selling both for £320!

Chris Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 10 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently bought a Garmin Quest for just the same thing you're describing. I've yet to see the bike mount, but I've been told by Garmin that its out in mid-Feb.

Nice size, ideal level of detail, right down to street level when in towns and cities. And waterproof!

The batteries will last longer than 2 hours, but it depends on whether you have the brightness turned up all the way.

I paid a bit more than you, and I haven't got the bike mount yet, but in the car its fantastic.

I think a pushbike mount might actually fit my bike better than the motorbike one will do, but have to look at one first. Great with the cd that comes with it with the whole of Europe fully mapped! Can't wait to try it on the bike in the summer.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 10 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been useing a garmin 3+ for a while, its excelent appart from the mono screen, just to much of a pain to see Sad (its being worked on though Wink )

Garmin are the only company that makes them rugged enough to be put on handlebars and bounced about on a motorbike, dropped in water, used in -10 conditions... all the many fun aspects of bikeing Very Happy

They dont seem to have made one yet but its worth waiting till https://www.ram-mount.com/ramgps.htm make a suiteable gps mount, believe me its very worth it, the bycicle mount might be fine for a push bike, i woulnd't truse that for a motorbike myself... touratech will no doubt be makeing them soon enough too...

89CBRChris
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:34 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also just got a quest for the same reasons.

havn't got one but ram have got a model out for the quest however garmins one will apparently have a headphone socket for the voice instructions which I think i am going to wait for.

https://www.ram-mount-uk.com/ram-hol-ga15.htm

I'm using the standard garmin handlebar bike mount for my little 250 commuter and it suits it fine, was a bit of a tight fit to get it on the handlebar but its pretty secure, on the CBR I put the quest at the front of my tankbag map pocket and it seems to work fine from there for now but I am definately gonna get the Garmin Kit when it comes out.

will post a pic of the mount when I get a chance. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:53 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link for motorcycle GPS systems;

https://www.adventure-motorcycling.co.uk/

89CBRChris
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:17 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres the quest mounted using the handlebar bracket to a CD250u.

works like a treat Thumbs Up

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it easy to pop the Quest unit out of the mount on that Chris?

Just wondered whether it ws a pain in the arse taking it off the bike when you park up on a rideout etc?

I've e-mailed Ram to see what they recommmend for my bike. Waiting for a response!

eddie_gumshoe
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:35 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is an interesting discussion as I am in the throes of deciding whether to go gps ( the garmin quest is the only one for bikes ) or whether to stick with me trusty tuffmaps !

not so bad in the UK but navigating zurich is a pain ... is switzerland covered on the Europe mapping cd (as it is not actually in the EU) ??

swaffs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:02 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, I've been thinking about this for a while and have gone a slightly different route.

I've just upgraded my phone to a P910i and will be getting a bluetooth GPS receiver (£55 on ebay) and tomtom3 software for the phone. (would also work with my current Nokia 6600)

This should give me full colour GPS;
https://www.messiahmod.com/scr_ppc_nav04.gifhttps://www.messiahmod.com/packard_bell_6.jpghttps://www.messiahmod.com/scr_ppc_nav02.gif

only issue it the waterproofing. I have find a company that does bike mounts;
https://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/3164.htm

but I need to find cover that's at least showerproof for the phone. Possibly this:
https://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/2134.htm
or at least this for protection;
https://www.pdamods.com/tomtom/p900-tomtom.html

I will update as I find out more.

Swaffs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chrisb
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:17 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re mounting kits for GPS or pretty much anything else try www.gpsw.co.uk/about/page25.html the one I bought was very well made and you can easily make mods or adapters to the basic ball and socket set up for fairings or non round handle bars etc..

Chris Surprised

chrisb
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:37 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Quest GPS mount adaption Reply with quote

Hear you can see a simple adaption to the RAM mount consisting of two filed bits of 6mm ally with three holes in them the middle one threded and a length of 6mm rod threded at both ends with a lock nut bent to suit!
[/img]

89CBRChris
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:51 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam_P wrote:
Is it easy to pop the Quest unit out of the mount on that Chris?

Just wondered whether it ws a pain in the arse taking it off the bike when you park up on a rideout etc?

Yeah its a doddle to pop back out, the casing stays around the quest and theres a little clip at the back that you pull up a bit and then slide it out, I've had no trouble getting it off even with my thick winter gloves on, then when you want to put it back on you just slide it into positions and it clicks on Thumbs Up

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

gps 3+ ram mounting... and on my cx, with cheepo digital camera used to record a club rideout...

https://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~noriba74/images/bike/tagps.jpghttps://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~noriba74/images/bike/gps.jpg
Goin nowhere (sturdy)... i had a etrex before and use the mounting for that to mount a digital camera/external camera, it even held an older vhsc camera quite happly! (cable ties if you ever try this)
As i said the only better ones are the touratech ones, for the price they bloody should be, only for serious tourers and tarts though.

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddie_gumshoe wrote:
this is an interesting discussion as I am in the throes of deciding whether to go gps ( the garmin quest is the only one for bikes ) or whether to stick with me trusty tuffmaps !

not so bad in the UK but navigating zurich is a pain ... is switzerland covered on the Europe mapping cd (as it is not actually in the EU) ??

Just looking at my software on the laptop here and it looks like Switzerland is covered in the same way as the rest of Europe, in glorious uploadable detail! Wink

I found mine on ebay, but it was an online shop on a buy it now sale, not an auction, I'd had bids on others but this seemed like a better option anyway.
Hope this helps Eddie.

chrisb
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:03 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Mounts Reply with quote

Does anybody know if they do a handlebar mount for a kitchen sink? Laughing

Mr C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 11 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

swaffs wrote:

I've just upgraded my phone to a P910i and will be getting a bluetooth GPS receiver (£55 on ebay) and tomtom3 software for the phone. (would also work with my current Nokia 6600)
s

no you won't

I have been looking into this for ages and the Symbian phones like the 910i aren't compatible with TomTom, there is only one piece of saoftware which works with the 910i and that is Wayfinder, it's a subscription service that downloads route and map data every time via GPRS

I thought it looked pants so I won't be upgrading my P900 but looking like a XDA instead to run full tomtom and the speed camera database

As far as I can gather you can't runt eh speed camera database in tomtom mobile either, you would have to enter it one point at a time Shocked

clivearmitage
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:15 - 16 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triumph TT 600, 2001 (and Mazda MX5 1.8iS)

I'm using a Palm Tungsten T3 PDA with TomTom software (great software, poor customer service) , with bluetooth GPS receiver (which I can have in a pocket or top box). I've got power running to the PDA from the battery - 12V socket under the seat which I use to charge the GPS receiver, and my phone etc too - will get the garage to wire it straight into the loom when she next gets serviced. I've got a RAM mount, and use a Aquapac waterproof PDA/mobile phone case for rainy days; although I was using a normal bank change bag for quite a while without many problems. I've just got some isolation earphones which I'll be using on the bike instead of earplugs, they seem okay but not really given them a good test yet. Without any earplugs and the volume on max, I can hear instructions below 50 mph; which is great for quick trips in town.

With the PDA, the isolation earphones and a 1Gig SD card (holding both the TomTom maps and lots of MP3 music) I can listen to my music, and the spoken directions are announced over the top.

Knowing that I can easily find petrol stations anywhere means I can stretch my tank range to it's very limits. The TomTom navigates me by quickest route, but with a bit of judiscious ignoring of the instructions, a more pleasant, tourist type route can be found.

Can't think of anything better for the summer touring holiday in France (although BlueTooth earphones with Mobile phone connection would be hyper cool).

Clive

clivearmitage
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:27 - 16 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also (just remembered) the Palm will warn me of fixed (and popular mobile) camera sites. Now that's the complete package. I think.

Clive

hustler
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:43 - 16 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/imgp1362gps6670.jpg

Thats what I've just bought. https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=45451
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 351 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1