Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cadwell Park Trackday Report

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 13 Feb 2005    Post subject: Cadwell Park Trackday Report Reply with quote

Had the trackday with Focused Events at Cadwell on Saturday. Now, as I live near Oxford (180 miles from the track) and my brother lives in Boston (30 miles from the track) I decided to head over to his on Friday night. I haven't bought a trailer yet so I had to ride, and since I haven't had a good chance to test the GSXR750 since I bought it I thought I'd take that, even though I bought a GSXR600 with the purpose of using it on the track. Just had to be careful not to smash the 750 up!

Well, it started badly when I got held up in a meeting in London and didn't get home until 7pm on Friday Evil or Very Mad By the time I'd packed everything into the car that Jeanette was driving up (tools, wet tyres etc) it was 8pm. And raining. It rained the entire 150 miles to my brother's house and only seemed to stop when I arrived at 10:30pm. Needless to say my sparklingly clean bike was now filthy.

Got up at 6am on Saturday and headed to the track for sign-on at 07:30. It was still drizzling which was becoming worrying as the roads were drenched... which caused me to wheelspin at 60mph Shocked By the time we got to the track it had stopped. It was still extremely windy which I was happy about as I hoped it might dry the track.

Anyway, the first session was wet and consisted of my wobbling round trying to learn the corners and avoid the biggest puddles. Since Cadwell is a very undulating track it means that nice rivers of water were crossing the track in places. Nice.

The second session was damp with a distinct dry line appearing Very Happy The only problem was the wind, which on the far side of the circuit attempted to blow you into the fields everytime you rose the hill leading to it. Third, fourth and fifth sessons? Completely dry track! Very Happy Learnt the track a lot more, got some good wheelies over the mountain (whoever designed that is a genius!) and had a lot of fun. It started drizzling again on the sixth and final session but I really didn't care. Great day out!

I also felt vindicated in my adherance to my "no racing / no red mist" attitude. On one lap as I came out of Mansfield (the horrible downhill tight left hander) and towards the chicane a Fireblade came past me. Now as I had the racing line he was completely off it, on the opposite side of the track. I gave him space and let him go (as I do anyone who passes me). Because he was off-line he had to cut really tight into the right-hander of the chicane. As he tried to pull the bike left he clipped the apex with his front wheel and the bike went down. The Blade slid off the track on its side and he slid up the track on his arse, with me bearing down on him. Luckily I had room and time to stop, which I did. I waited until he came to a stop (hoping no-one would rear end me) and then went round him. If I had given chase into the chicane after he passed me I have little doubt that I would have hit him, his bike or crashed trying to avoid them.

Another point of note was three KR1S bikes in my group. And true to form... two of them blew up before the end of the day!

Went back to my borther's last night and then rode back home this morning. 450 miles in a weekend on a GSXR makes you ache, I've learnt that today.

Jeanette somehow managed to take 275 pictures with her new Canon EOS 300D, so I'll put them on the web once I've finished sorting them. I've resized some of them below (the wheelie one is from Picman).

Now all I need is a trailer for a return visit in the Summer Twisted Evil

(Sorry for the long post Embarassed )

https://www.damons.dsl.pipex.com/images/misc/cadwell1.jpg

https://www.damons.dsl.pipex.com/images/misc/cadwell2.jpg

https://www.damons.dsl.pipex.com/images/misc/cadwell3.jpg

https://www.damons.dsl.pipex.com/images/misc/cadwell4.jpg

https://www.damons.dsl.pipex.com/images/misc/cadwell5.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 13 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like good fun. Thumbs Up Nice photos too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy99
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:57 - 13 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a braver man than me,booking a cadwell track day in Feb and riding up there from round here. Sounds like a really good day,how busy was the track?

Just call me General Crazypaws.

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 13 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it was a gamble weather wise, but it paid off Thumbs Up

There were about 25-30 bikes out on track in each session, which was fine.

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 13 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Website update. More higher res pictures here if anyone's interested.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 10:48 - 14 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, like the photos too.

jonboy
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:08 - 14 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the temperature like silver? Have any problems with hands going numb at all?

BLOFLY 636
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:31 - 14 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats some really nice photos there and nice selection of gear I have exactly the same jacket gloves and boots! the pants are almost identicle! Laughing I am going to my second trackday on the 7th of march here in Australia with a new pair of Pilot Power tyres fitted! woohoo! I have to pay $175 for 6 hours of shared track use but only will be 60 users all up Very Happy

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 14 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonboy wrote:
What was the temperature like silver? Have any problems with hands going numb at all?

I'm normally fine with the cold (I don't own a coat for example) so I was okay mainly. It was about 8-9 degrees C, but extremely windy. I started noticing my fingers becoming numb during the last session and it took me a while to warm up once I got back to my brother's. I'd rather it was cold than wet though!

BLOFLY 636 wrote:
I have exactly the same jacket gloves and boots! the pants are almost identicle! Laughing I have to pay $175 for 6 hours of shared track use but only will be 60 users all up Very Happy

It's good kit (although I haven't crash tested it!) Six hours of track time!? You'll be knackered! Are there many tracks for you to go to? Over here there's probably 12 good tracks, and I can get to maybe 7 of them in under 2-3 hours - living centrally has it's advantages.

BLOFLY 636
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:49 - 14 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are there many tracks for you to go to? Over here there's probably 12 good tracks, and I can get to maybe 7 of them in under 2-3 hours - living centrally has it's advantages.

no not yet at the moment there is only one small track that takes me about 1 minute and 7 seconds to lap but good riders can do it in about 59 or 58 seconds here is a pic of the track Very Happy I posted it in another topic here a little while ago! but if all goes well Bunbury" my home town" will receive a $32 million race track dedicated to formular nippon racing Thumbs Down but hopefully we shall get some trackdays for bikes here is a link to check out if you like Very Happy https://www.bunbury.wa.gov.au/eoi/bic/BunburyInternationalComplex.htm
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 65 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1