Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


insurance and test at 17

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

jamie192
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:51 - 24 Feb 2005    Post subject: insurance and test at 17 Reply with quote

ok insurance and full bike license are the question in here, thanks for looking.

Ok i know its a long way away, but when i hit 17 i want to take my full bike license. my sister has a suzuki gn 125 with i am going to use to take the test on and i was just wondering what riding i should practise like U turns ect to get them better and my riding ability better.

Next question, what are the chances i will be able to be insured on a 600 cc at 17? any at all?

Thanks for your time!

bye for now
____________________
Ride Fast, Brake hard, don't fall off!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Barker-CBR 600
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:06 - 24 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 17 on a 1999 CBR600, insurance is expensive and the odd place tells you they cant cater for your age.. but spend a good hour or so ringing around and you find that you get things like

TPFT - 1200-1400
TP - 950-1100

Thats on a 3.5K bike garaged with alarm/immobiliser and a years NCB. But those dont make a huge difference, its the age thing.

--------

As for practising on the bike, depends how well you reckon you can pick up on things. If you never ridden a 125 or a geared 50 then you would need quite a few trips to really get the hang of it. Remember you not only gotta be able to ride it, you gotta ride it while doing all the other things (observation, test manuvers etc).

Just practise till you can ride around safely and steadyily, and you can do a safe U turn, emergancy stop and know the bits of the bike (for the show me tell me)
____________________
Previous - Gilera DNA50 / XVS125 Dragstar/Honda CBR 600F/GSF 650 Bandit
Current - 2013 Suzuki VZ800 Intruder
'Is this a rhetorical question?'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:34 - 24 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cost bit less than 1100 on a '01 ZX6R TPFT at 17 at the start of '03. That was garaged, alarmed and in a group A postcode with CIA. with 0ncb
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:05 - 25 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember rightly, I was quoted a little under £600, TPO, for a 400cc? May even have been a 600cc, I've done so many hypothetical quotes I can't remember anymore! That was for a 17 yr old, 8 months NCB Very Happy , private driveway, rural area. Would'nt have been older than a '97. I think it might have been a Kawasaki ZX6R, or a CBR600 or summat.
The thing that really worked for me was to ring around, and quote a false amount from a different company. If one quoted me £300, I'd ring the next one and say 'they quoted me £250'. They'd say 'We'll do it for £230', I'd ring back the other company, and on it goes. You can knock a fair amount off the price if you're willing to do the work.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:47 - 25 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 18, 0 NCB, £576 TPFT on an XJ600, although this isn't your stereotypical sports bike, it's still VERY rapid.

practise U-turns, every day if you can. I used to get my bike out the garage facing the wrong way EVERY day, just so I had to do a u-turn.

and I could nail a u-turn every time, I could ride around in a small circle until petrol ran out if need be.

practise emergency stops, and then get a few hours before your test.

I did just that, 3 hours lessons the day before, got through with 3 minors.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 228 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.56 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 44.9 Kb