Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The Long Way Round...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Touring & Exploration by Korn (9 Nov 2005 - 18:55)
View previous topic : View next topic  

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

nat4 wrote:

I've been helped when I'm stuck before and it doesn't detract from what you are doing. Thats my 2 cents anyhows.

Just one of those things, use the best available equipment and take any help you can get! if you refued the help it dosent make you big and clever it means your a frickin' idiot Very Happy

If they phoned for a helicopter to carry them accross the difficult bits that would have been cheating Very Happy

The majority of adventure riders going through that way tend to go arround it, without a suitable dirt bike i'd do the same...

It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy to think people alover the world will make that much effort to help out a complete stranger, ive been broken down before and watched 30 cars go past without expressing any interest at all Rolling Eyes

stinkwheel wrote:
I once saw a couple of Dutch kids on those mad wee pedal and pop mopeds they ride over there. They both had tents on the back and were up near Inverness

I get the feeling allot of the engine designs were never altered since they were "aquired" way back when... but then thats not allways such a bad thing...

https://wmuma.com/moped78/

utter madness Very Happy

edit: sorry bout that, cut out the wrong name Razz

Last edited by mr.z on 21:03 - 26 Feb 2005; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:56 - 26 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero - if you are going to quote from somebody's posts make sure the next time you do it right because I didn't say that as it was Nat4 ! Thumbs Up

hornet lover
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:17 - 16 Mar 2005    Post subject: WOT A FILM Reply with quote

Cool shit hot dvd, 7 hrs of bliss, only watched it twice non stop,
soooo good, booked a trip to Ireland in 2 weeks to Ireland with two other biking friends + wife Thumbs Up

Kaben
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:13 - 16 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

the book is really good too. read the whole thing in two days! gives a better insight into what went on than the DVD's. I know everyone gripes about them having a big ass backup team, but you can go on touring trips in africa with similar support.......just makes sense unless your a great mechanic/linguist/blagger.

As for them losing power brakes on the cameramans bike, it was because they didnt take the contacts off the battery, and shorted the system out when teh electric welder touched teh machine.
TBH things like that going wrong make it more interesting, and that little "red devil" shitter of a bike kept up fairly well despite it breaking down alot.

The whole thing really inspired me, and im am going to definitely tour europe, then do the trans american highway (from south america to alaska) if i can get my bro to come along too Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Johnny GSX-R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:23 - 16 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad is '68' and has just done the 'Arctic Circle' on a 2000 model CB500, on his own Shocked ... He did Norway, Sweden etc in the snow and howling gales. He was armed with a Hein Gericke Voyager suit, Frank Thomas Aqua boots & Gloves, a couple of maps (NO GPS), a knackered holdall bungied onto a Rentec rack and his silly old scenile head. The year before he did Europe and Russia on it. In 1999 he did Europe on a single cylinder 650 Honda SLR trail bike,, daft old git he is.

A guy was laughing at him one day, this guy had a Gixxer 750, he was saying " What do you ride that shit for, ya can't go far on one of them things".
The guy asked my dad if he'd been to 'Blackpool' on it, to which my dad said "NO", the guy said " There ya go then, just shows ya, you can't do F*** all on it". Rolling Eyes
My old fella replied " But i have just done 4000 miles around Europe and Russia on it, if that counts!" Cool

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 16 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny 'XX' wrote:

My old fella replied " But i have just done 4000 miles around Europe and Russia on it, if that counts!" Cool

Owned. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Robchester
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:26 - 16 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny 'XX' wrote:
My dad is '68' and has just done the 'Arctic Circle' on a 2000 model CB500, on his own Shocked ... He did Norway, Sweden etc in the snow and howling gales. He was armed with a Hein Gericke Voyager suit, Frank Thomas Aqua boots & Gloves, a couple of maps (NO GPS), a knackered holdall bungied onto a Rentec rack and his silly old scenile head. The year before he did Europe and Russia on it. In 1999 he did Europe on a single cylinder 650 Honda SLR trail bike,, daft old git he is.

A guy was laughing at him one day, this guy had a Gixxer 750, he was saying " What do you ride that shit for, ya can't go far on one of them things".
The guy asked my dad if he'd been to 'Blackpool' on it, to which my dad said "NO", the guy said " There ya go then, just shows ya, you can't do F*** all on it". Rolling Eyes

Your old fella is a ledge Cool

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 08:07 - 17 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, inspirational.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 38 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2