Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Taking girlfriend as pillion

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

RickHolt
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:36 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Taking girlfriend as pillion Reply with quote

When the weather picks up a bit I think my girlfriend will be riding pillion with me a few times. She doesn't drive or ride at all yet. I was thinking it might be worth paying for her to go and do the CBT. Even if it was only on a scooter. Just so she knows more about what is happening. Does anyone here think it's worth it? Only downside I can see is that she'll want to be in control more while she's on the back, oh and the 100 quid.

She will never make real use of the CBT.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonT
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:42 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt its worth the hasstle. Pillions need no real training, just ask her to sit like a sack of spuds and thats all she needs to know really.

You might want to just mention how you would like her to get on aswell, some people prefer the pillion to throw their leg over and sit down and others prefer them to put a foot on the peg and swing over.

It would be serious overkill to have her do a CBT.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NickD
World Chat Champion

I've always found that the more a pillion knows about riding, the worse they are, with experienced riders often being a complete pain in the arse. I would guess it's because they can't help but anticipate your actions. Personally I think it would be a waste of money, just give her the 'sit still, hang on, shut up' speech, and see how it goes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparky
Trackday Trickster

Yea i personally think thats a good idea that mate, like you say she will understand more whats going on and that will help when you try and explain why you want her to lean etc.

i would do it. Thumbs Up

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 11:44 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you asked her for her opinion on the matter?

Why not take her on the bike first and then see how she feels?

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 11:52 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nkd666 wrote:
I've always found that the more a pillion knows about riding, the worse they are, with experienced riders often being a complete pain in the arse. I would guess it's because they can't help but anticipate your actions. Personally I think it would be a waste of money, just give her the 'sit still, hang on, shut up' speech, and see how it goes.

Have to say I agree with Nkd666 on this one.

RickHolt
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:21 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
Have you asked her for her opinion on the matter?

Thumbs Up Laughing

Quote:
Why not take her on the bike first and then see how she feels?

Yea looks like that's the best option, just wasn't sure if her doing the CBT was a good idea or not, thought i'd ask for your opinions.

While we're on the topic of pillions, can you take pillion on track days? I've never seen two up bike racing, other than side car racing.

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 13:43 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickHolt wrote:
can you take pillion on track days?

Nope.

mattgt
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:24 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not worth it really. I normally give em a little talk before, like lean etc, dont drive. Or you could just strap her to the tank so she doesn't move. Give her a CBT and next minute she'll be wanting to drive. Dangerous mate.

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:54 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fail to see the problem. Give her a pillion ride to see if she likes it, then if she does, encourage her to do the CBT and ultimately get a full licence. That's normally the way.

El_Bandido
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:01 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

my mate went pillion on my bike the other day. hes riding a 125 at the moment and said he was terrified because he wasnt in control. I think its better if she doesnt have any experience
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 15:25 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattgt wrote:
Give her a CBT and next minute she'll be wanting to drive. Dangerous mate.

Absolutely.

We can't possibly have our girlfriends doing these horribly unladylike things such as riding motorbikes or having their own personal transport. What about the cleaning? I want my dinner on the table at 5 o'clock sharp and I won't hear of it any other way.

Keep 'em barefoot and pregnant I say!

mattgt
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:34 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you imagine!!!
The line "im just going out for a spin" won't have the same meaning as she'll just say "yeah, I'll come with you" or "oops, sorry I already reckd your bike on the way back from the shops" or even worse...

She'll install loadsa boxes on the back of your bike, saying hers is too small to carry her shopping.
hell

Barker-CBR 600
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:46 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing @ Bendy.

What i'd give for my girlfriend to buy a bike, hell what i'd give for her to let ME buy her a bike...

If it was me buying kit, i'd try and spend as much as i could on it for her, ESPECIALLY since its me taking her on the back. There would be no worse feeling than coming off and her protection lets you down when yours doesnt.

Maybe its worth say you chipping in that £100, and her chipping in any shes willing as well? Also encouraging her to get her own gear is more likely get her more into biking in general.

I mean a CBT looks alot more accesible if you can just turn up an ride...

Will87
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:27 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get her to do CBT, the worst pillions are the ones who ride normally, i know it from having a mate who rides on the back of my bike.

My dad agrees i am worse as pillion simply cause i ride when compared with my sister who only sits pillion.

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 28 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride and im a very good pillion apparently. Just relax and let them get on with it.

Took my GF out last year after she begged. gave her the whole speech about what to do but she was no good. She wriggled everywhere, kept sitting up etc etc. No good. Plus we worked out a system for 'your going too fast' which included tapping my leg when it got too lively. Turned out of the end of the road very gently in second, and crept towards the 40 limit. At thirty she was giving me a dead leg.

Basically take her out for a test and see how she reacts before you go spending any cash in case she turns out to be scared, or as I called her at the time 'A f@cking fanny'

good luck

Wink

paulyzf600
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:46 - 05 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it would be a waist of money unless she is going to use it.
The best way for a pillion to be is just relax and don't try to lean the opposite way to the bike but if they just sit there then they won't anyway!. Oh and getting on the bike, I took my brother somewhere on my bike the other week (he is also a rider) and he got on by standing on one ped and then swinging over this puts all the weight onto one side of the bike. Just make sure she does what you say and all will be cool!

TL1000
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:08 - 05 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nkd666 wrote:

Id have to agree. I gave my uncle (a very experienced rider) a lift home when his bike broke down and he was the worst pillion ive ever had the misfortune to carry. He was looking over my shoulder all the time and trying to lean it into the bends.

I told him next time he can f#@king walk.

Fruitcake
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 04:17 - 06 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps one evening go down to the local supermarket car park (after its closed) and have a little slow ish run round there with her as pillion and see how she does, yeh she'll need a helmet but is unlikely to come off (proberbly best with some protection, perhaps borrow some leathers?) just get her to hold onto you tight ish so her body movement follows yours?

what am i on about, i've hardly riden a motorbike!

my knowlage comes from too much mountain biking and motor vehicle engineering (and quite randomly salalom canoeing in a 2 seater, both have to lean with the boat at the same time)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 58 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1