Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Killed or badly hurt?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Toady
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:02 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Killed or badly hurt? Reply with quote

I was reading on the 'who here has never had an accident' post and one reply caught my eye...........

Something along the lines of 'Why would you brag about how many accidents you have had, because for every one of you who brags about it there is two more who are not here to brag'.

How many people here know someone who was killed or seriously injured in an accident. My Dad was riding his bike about 15 years ago with a pillion on and came off because of a pothole or something. Apparently someone saw them both fly past the post office window! He has had to have a hip replacement and can't walk properly. Not that I am too bothered because I havn't spoken to the pratt for more than 9 years!
____________________
I can see paradise by the dashboard lights....................or at least the speedo on my NSR!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sadie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:13 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Re: Killed or badly hurt? Reply with quote

Toady wrote:
How many people here know someone who was killed or seriously injured in an accident.


I've been to many bikers' funeral, about half of which were due to illness and half due to accidents.

I couldn't even think how many of my mates have been off with injuries of varying degrees of severity, including me.

None of this has been enough to put me off riding, anymore than hearing about a car accident would put most of you off driving.
____________________
With experience comes age.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:14 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither myself.

Read it in papers but not happened to anyone that I've spoken to or had any sort of social relationship with.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:16 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far in the 38 years I've been on this planet, two people I've known have died in (seperate) motorcycle accidents, and two people who've been kept in hospital for more than a day. I've heard of other "friend of a friend" accidents, but these are people I've known directly.

Plenty of minor accidents though.
____________________
Current: CB500 Previous: CB100N, CB250RS, XJ900F, GT550, GPZ750R/1000RX, AJS M16, R100RT, Enfield Bullet

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Toady
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:17 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have got to admit though that riding a bike is more likely to result in a serious accident than a car......... I just plan to take it easy when I get my NSR on Thursday. Its these Chavs int heir Novas that worry me............lol
____________________
I can see paradise by the dashboard lights....................or at least the speedo on my NSR!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Zoffo
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 01 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:21 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Re: Killed or badly hurt? Reply with quote

Toady wrote:
I was reading on the 'who here has never had an accident' post and one reply caught my eye...........

Something along the lines of 'Why would you brag about how many accidents you have had, because for every one of you who brags about it there is two more who are not here to brag'.

How many people here know someone who was killed or seriously injured in an accident. My Dad was riding his bike about 15 years ago with a pillion on and came off because of a pothole or something. Apparently someone saw them both fly past the post office window! He has had to have a hip replacement and can't walk properly. Not that I am too bothered because I havn't spoken to the pratt for more than 9 years!


Guilty.

Two of my mates died on bikes when we were teenagers both exactly 1 year apart to the day. Not counting low speed drops you are probably going to die or be seriously injured if you have an accident on a bike involving another vehicle. Remember the add about the survival rate for kids in car accidents. Over 30 miles per hour and they a 20% chance of surviving. Good gear can help but when you actually see and accident happen (only one thank god) you realise we are kidding ourselves if we think leather and plastic is gonna save our neck.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:21 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY friend got the following in one bike accident due to a woman driver after her car stopped on top of him. She discovered that he was pinned under the car and so promptly but slowly drove the car back off him except that meant the weight of the car was on his stomach ie damaged spleen.

fractured pelvis in 2 places

broken ribs, leg bone and arms too

fractured skull

spleen removed

revived on an operating table when his heart stopped for a moment

both knee caps exposed

damaged a disc in his spine

3 days in coma/unconscious


He spent 6 months in hospital and amazed the Doctors that he was able to walk normally again. He has since then owned a few bikes and currently owns Zephyr 550.


Last edited by Scotsman37 on 18:28 - 27 Feb 2005; edited 4 times in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sadie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:22 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toady wrote:
You have got to admit though that riding a bike is more likely to result in a serious accident than a car......... I just plan to take it easy when I get my NSR on Thursday. Its these Chavs int heir Novas that worry me............lol


Toady, while I would under no circumstances want to encourage you to ride like a nut when you get the NSR, it is important not to worry excessively about the possibility of coming off.

It very likely WILL happen. We've nearly all been there, and we picked ourselves up, dusted ourselves off and got back on the bike.

If we are totally honest, we wouldn't do it if (to us, anyhow Rolling Eyes ) it wasn't an acceptable risk. We all have limits to which we will/can push ourselves. You just need to find out what those limits are.

For me, bungee jumping, sky diving or base jumping would be a risk too far.
____________________
With experience comes age.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:24 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother got his leg torn open from knee to groin. It wasn't his fault.

It's not about to stop me or him from riding though.
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

loply
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:35 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a reasonable balance of safety:fun and stick to it. Never let yourself go slightly beyond the barrier.

Like if Im out on country roads and the road is clear I will use 100% of the road, completely in the opposite lane at times.

But if I couldnt completely see the clear road ahead of me I would stay completely in my lane and wouldnt take any chance what so ever. I think I have a reasonable balance which means that any accidents involving me are almost certain to beyond my control.
____________________
Yamaha SZR660 Caution to the wind, the throttle pinned!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:42 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://images.google.co.uk/images?q=tbn:lgjcDRrdHHIJ:perso.wanadoo.fr/mike.werner/BlogPics

Not unless you carry an armed pillion passenger with you to shoot anybody who gets to close! Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Toady
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:02 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

or............. fit a crash rail around your bike like they have at the dodge'ems so you just bounce straight off....... it could work!!!
I'll come up with the initial design and get back to you all! Wink
____________________
I can see paradise by the dashboard lights....................or at least the speedo on my NSR!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:16 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine was driving his car in traffic when the car in front of him hit a bike that was filtering... The rider went straight over the top of the car and hit Tony's windscreen.


He was pretty upset by this, especially as both him and his son ride bikes. I had a phonecall from a very shaken and upset Tony a couple of days after the accident to ask if I was alright as he had been having recurring nightmares seeing me/his son/other biking friends bounce off his car.


A truly ghastly experience, and for anyone riding with someone who is involved in an accident, I cannot imagine how upsetting or painful it would be. I just never wish to be in that situation.
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Josh
Traffic Copper



Joined: 21 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:26 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one that I know so far, and I know a fair few bikers, 20 years old, decent guy, had worked with him for a year or so and we got along, we didn't socialise out of work, pretty different personalities really but we got on at work and he was always nice to, well to every one we worked with, old or young, just thoroughly nice.
Tuesday I hear from someone at work that he died as a pillion when a car hit him at some point over the weekend, next day I see the roadside memorial to him literally just outside my work, see a picture of him and an ever increasing pile of flowers, it hasn't changed the way I ride, it hasn't affected me much other than of course I feel bad for people who knew him better and so on, tragic accident indeed, it's strange and he died in hospital but I always nod at his roadside memorial when I turn onto the road my work is on, my personal way of respecting him I guess.
____________________
04 Suzuki GSX-R 600 K4 - Sex on wheels :>
https://img58.imageshack.us/img58/6178/sig6dc.gif
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:29 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toady wrote:
You have got to admit though that riding a bike is more likely to result in a serious accident than a car


Have a look at the people that drive cars with similar performance to bikes; and I'm talking those that get them for driving rather than just so that they are 'seen' in a Ferrari or whatever.

Let a load of teenagers and people in their young 20s have fast expensive cars and I'm betting the accidents will be a lot nastier.

Not say that bikes aren't more dangerous as such, but a lot is also to do with attitudes towards riding.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

flat spot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:51 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best friend for over 20 years was killed on a bike last september.
Took a left hand bend to fast and hit an oncoming car. Died instantly of head and chest injuries.
It won't stop me riding a bike but I'll miss him always. He was 32. Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:19 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The worst accident in which someone I know (or three people in this case) has been involved, was 'The Accident' of April last year.

And it was a car accident.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:26 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a morbid, depressing topic. Thumbs Down

People die, for all sorts of reasons.

Sounds to me like you're either a safety nazi trying to gather information or a troll looking for tales of horror to revel in.

Why confine our tales of death & injury to bikers? Why not just outright ask us for our most gruesome death & injury stories?

Sorry, I know I'm usually placid but Toady you've really pissed me off with this.
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mrchips
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:30 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of someone who broke his back in 9 places riding into a tree on a Blade about 10 years ago.

Edit and he made a full recovery.
____________________
Northern Irish? www.nibikers.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Toady
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:34 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see where your coming from BabyYam but I didnt ask it to get some sort of kick from hearing gruesome stories. I am just slightly nervous about riding my NSR next week as I have heard quite a few people mention accidents and I wanted to know whether dieing as a result of a motorbike accident is a common occurence. In addition to this my Dad had quite a serious accident and I wanted to hear from other people who had had similar expieriences. Surely the title of the topic gave you some indication as to the content?
____________________
I can see paradise by the dashboard lights....................or at least the speedo on my NSR!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:48 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, maybe I have over-reacted in which case I apologise, but reading what you've put I think my point is more than valid.

As a new rider, the last thing you need to hear surely is gory details about people we know who have died or been seriously injured. That will not help you improve your riding skills in the slightest.

As I see it, anyone who rides has two choices.

You can ride within your limits, taking your time, learning all the time, learning what your limits are by testing them carefully in appropriate situations.

Or you can ride like a twat, taking risks, maybe enjoying yourself but being aware of what the consequences will be if you fuck up.

What you can't do in either case is fully anticipate what the other guy will do. It's a risk you take when you get on your bike. From a personal point of view I would say 99% of the people I know who have been in major or minor accidents have not been at fault. Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone I have known who has died down to their own error, and I've been knocking about with bikers for over 25 years.

I truly hope you will enjoy your NSR, but I don't think you need to hear grisly stories to enable you to do that, you just need to use your brain when you're riding!
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Toady
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:54 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol. Yes you are probably right. I don't want to be a shivering wreck when I first ride my bike. I did fail my driving test about 4 months ago and to be honest I think that will probably help me as I have a certain amount of road awareness (not enough to pass though!). Part of me regrets starting this topic now! But on the other hand people would only post something if they were willing for others to read it. If anyone else was offended by this topic I apologise. It isn't really the most upbeat of subjects................
____________________
I can see paradise by the dashboard lights....................or at least the speedo on my NSR!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Scotsman37
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:59 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

When riding a bike

If the outside weather conditions look bad just don't ride that day.

Before starting your trip give the bike a quick once over for anything that might be wrong.

Never assume that the driver know what he is doing and so always give him room by keeping your safety distance (2 or 4 sec rule)

Don't assume when he you see a car/bike indicator flashes for left as he maybe wanting to actually turn right.

Try to observe the speed limit, if you can, but especially when nearing a speed camera or a copper at the side of the road.

On country roads you have to be wary of horses, cattle, sheep and farm tractors cutting across the road to go from one field to another. Also, the roads will not be of good quality as there maybe loose stones and the odd pot hole and therefore it's best to take it easy around corners or take it a little wider if it's not that wide a road and even on straight bits where a sheep could bolt out in front of you !

Don't try to cut through traffic lights when it's about to change to red / green as no doubt Citreon Boy will be trying to cross your path at those traffic lights. Before moving off look both ways to make sure it's safe to do so !

Never, Never stop directly behind a lorry/van because they maybe ladened with a heavy load and they tend to roll back a bit before moving forward.


Really, it's just basic common sense and if a driver does cut across your path TRY not to get to upset, as it will no doubt happen at some stage like it has to us all on here at one point.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:07 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

First year or so of riding a bike I knew 3 people killed in bike accidents. I knew loads of people who came off.

Since then there are a few people I have know who have been killed. Again I have known loads who have come off with little or no injury.

I have also known a few people (no bike related) who killed themselves. One by hanging and one with a hose pipe from the exhaust. Cannot say I worry about that happening either.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Marc_Buck
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 31 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:27 - 27 Feb 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh wrote:
I always nod at his roadside memorial when I turn onto the road my work is on, my personal way of respecting him I guess.


Thats cool, similar sort of thing, im 17 now and when we were 13 a close mate of mine got hit by a car crossing the road on his pushbike, there were traffic on one lane and not the other, he went out into the gap between to cars and waited to cross the clear lane, well all seemed clear when some twat in a fiesta comes speeding up the other lane the wrong way to pass traffic, he died. September 11th 2001.

Well anyway not a bike but a pushbike, but i pass the spot everyday and try not to filter there, just to be sure...
____________________
94 fzr600r
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 224 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.51 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 135.79 Kb