Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

So, I'm going on a track day......

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

Key67
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:42 - 07 Mar 2005    Post subject: So, I'm going on a track day...... Reply with quote

Shocked and wondered if some kind soul can give me a bit of guidance!

It's my first time out (dunno which track yet, wifey bought me a trackday voucher for Christmas) and wondered what I need to do/ take with me?

Question I ride a Hornet, should I use this or hire one of theirs?
Question I've been told that I need leathers that zip together all the way around - is this true (mine don't BTW)?
Question I passed my test nigh on 12 months ago, this worries me 'cos I don't intend to hammer it round - will I feel a prat and spoil it for others?
Question Do they take into account that people like me may go to a track day?
Question I live in Wakefield (W.Yorks) - anyone suggest an easy track that's fairly close?

I'll listen to anyone with advice and/or tips! Feel free to answer any other questions I may have missed!

Thanks

Key

Please visit my lads music site - Thanks! www.afhmusic.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 07 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Use your Hornet - you'll know what it can/can't do. Do you want to spend the day riding the track or learning the bike?

2. Yes, it's true, although I've never seen them check.

3. Nope, just go in the novice group. It's up to others to get past you (as long as you're not weaving like Schumacher!)

4. Yep.

5. Croft probably:

Croft Circuit
Croft on Tees
North Yorkshire
DL2 2PN
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 22:50 - 07 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use your hornet because like you said you are going to take it easy so the chances of you binning it are small.

Don't worry about going slow - it's a trackday not a race. The faster more experienced riders will pass you easily enough. You could always do a day that is split into novice/inters/fast.

Yes, you do normally need at least two piece leathers that zip together.

Main thing though is to enjoy it Thumbs Up

EDIT: looks like silver got there before me Mr. Green

jay12329
Dr. Evil

PostPosted: 22:55 - 07 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which company is the voucher for? Some of us may be going on a track day soonish which you could join us for.
As for rideing the hornet do it! Get yourself a set of R&G crash mushrooms first, just incase!
I love my track days and would be happy to take you along to one, so your not trying to find your way on your own.
HTH
J
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jay12329
Dr. Evil

PostPosted: 22:57 - 07 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Croft and Cadwell Park are the closest to you. Both of which are v.good tracks. IMO
J
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Stew
If it's good enough for top race teams...

PostPosted: 23:00 - 07 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have to use the voucher with a specific company, as that my determine your choice of track/date.
Use your Hornet, hiring a bike adds loads of extra expense that IMO isn't neccesary.
You are usually told that you need leather that zip all the way around although mine have never been checked and could probably have got away with just a partial zip, so long as the look stuck together. Obviously a zip that went all the way round would be better and could probably be added to your jacket and trousers at a leather repair/alteration place.
Don't worry about how fast other people want to ride, you will soon feel comfortable and anyone who wants to ride faster should also feel comfortble enough to overtake when required. Ride at your own pace and just enjoy being on track. Thumbs Up
Croft/Cadwell/Oulton Park are probably going to be your closest tracks. Question

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 23:07 - 07 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall alex getting black flagged at cadwell because he forgot to zip his leathers together!

Mr C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 08 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadwell Park is a superb track.

I once saw a guy at Cadwell with his leather jacket gaffer taped to his leather jeans Shocked but yes, you really should have zip togethers at least (good advice for general road riding as well)

remember the track is a far, far safer environment than the road

- superb surface and grip
- nothing coming the other way
- nothing puling out from junctions
- no oil or diesel spills (or if they are they are cleaned instantly
- someone watching your every move for your own good
- emergency cover on hand if the worst does happen

so having said all that, best piece of advice I can give you..

do the sighting laps in the novice group for the first session and just have a wobble round, everyone in the novice group will be doing the same - that's why it's called a novice group, nothing to be scared of or ashamed of

and then, collar one of the instructors for some one to one guidance - on all the track days I have done the instructors are always underused and usually just cruising round embarrasing wannabe racers in the fast group

they are there to help, use them Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:46 - 08 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

In Yorkshire you are fairly close to Cadwell which is popular with people on here. Also worth thinking about from where you are is Oulton Park, such south west of Manchester.

As above you should be able to get your leathers altered to zip together all the way round.

Biggest problem I had on the track is the habit of doing life savers.

All the best

Keith

cc123
Geez a joab?

PostPosted: 11:53 - 08 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good tips. I'm going to give track riding a pop this year on my own bike. Knockhill is closest to me so I'm guessing thats where I will be going.

How do you judge what group you will be in? Is it best to do the novice group on your first few track days to get used to the track environment and sight the track out?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:03 - 08 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice for your first trackday, you'll move groups if appropriate and just because you're fast on the roads when out riding with your mates doesn't mean you'll be fast on track. You want the stay in the novice group until you're faster than most of the group.

Mr C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 08 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

good advice Ste

if you go out in the novice group and are markedly faster then the rest after a couple of sessions then usually you will be moved

the marshalls are normally pretty good and can spot obviously unsuited riders - like super fast in novice groups and/or the odd wanker who thinks he shoudl be in the fast group because he has the latest R1/blade/gixxer whatever but goes round corners upright Rolling Eyes

groupings can and do change throughout the day

cc123
Geez a joab?

PostPosted: 12:46 - 08 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do most sessions usually consist of? Track time? Time learning the track? Is it a timed session or so many laps?
And what are Pace days? How are these different to normal track days?

Knockhill's first bike track session is the 11th of April. 75 bucks for a half day (3 hours) or 135 for a full day (10am-5pm). I'd probably rider there and back. Is there usually a fuel supply at the track or do you fill up before hand? Probably a stupid question but I've never done one before!

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 12:57 - 08 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel depends on the track. Some do, some don't.

A normal trackday isn't timed, there are no set number of laps. You go out for 20 mins and come in. Repeat each hour until home time.

A PACE day is timed, and you are sent out in groups according to your times rather than by how fast you *think* you are.

On both, you ride at your own pace and get out of it what you want to get out of it.

Key67
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:13 - 08 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and thanks to everyone that replied to my post Thumbs Up

Sorry it's taken a while to get back - busy day!

It's obvious that lots of you have been on track days and the advice given is great. It's nice to see that others also have questions about how things are sorted on the day! I'm feeling more confident on my outing now!

I will do the day on my Hornet though I have a dilema as to whether or not to go for new leathers or have my old ones altered (they do have a zip at the back, though they don't match) - that's down to cost mainly!

The voucher is organised through a company called Tracktime Promotions - anyone heard of 'em/used 'em?

Thanks again for the advice!

Key

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

scottiel
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:28 - 08 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trackdays can be great, but can have there darksides.

I will be posting on this later tonight, keep an eye out.

jay12329
Dr. Evil

PostPosted: 19:40 - 08 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only track day planned with Track Time Promotions (TTP) this year is cadwell park on Monday the 25th April.
You welcome to come along, i'm going to be there with a group from my local hein gerike store, and i think stu from here is also going to be there.
See my post in O&E's https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=43111

HTH
J

Key67
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:45 - 08 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the invite J

I'm going with a neighbour of mine (has a CBR600RR - Drooling ). Both wifeys got together to get us the days so it's his first time too!

When I next hook up with him I'll see what he says. If he fancies it I will PM you if that's ok. The only fly in the ointment is that the voucher is a £120- one, but I'm not to 20 squid if there's someone there who can give us more guidance! - Especially a fellow Horneteer! You do realise though - I will be slow! You might regret the invite!

Key

jay12329
Dr. Evil

PostPosted: 21:21 - 08 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then only thing IMO you must do is get yourself a set of R&G protectors! you may not plan on going very fast but things can happen!
On a brighter note, if your slow it doesnt matter just go at YOUR pace, there will be faster people about there will most likely be slower people too. All you need to think about is yourself and the guy in front, the person behind has to get past you, you dont have to let him past.
Your welcome to camp in my garden the night before/after. i'm about 30mins from the circuit.
J

Stew

PostPosted: 22:57 - 08 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah come along to Cadwell on the 25th April, I'll be there and hopefully my YZF will be too (it generally doesn't like trackdays). Very Happy

Key67
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:00 - 08 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

J - thanks again for the offer! Thumbs Up

The bikes does have some crash protectors on it already - dunno if they're R&G though. You might be able to tell from a picture of my bike?

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=29138&highlight=

Just been out to the garage and I can't see any markings on 'em! They feel pretty solid though!

Been reading some other things about trackdays - what's the score with mirrors, lights etc - take mirrors off when you arrive and tape up all lenses? Is there somewhere safe to leave all the bits you might take off?

Key

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 08 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not R&G - they only come in black or white whereas yours are blue.

Remove your mirrors, or tape them up, turn them round etc. My personal preference is to remove them - it's one less thing to break if you crash.

Taping up your lights etc. means that if you do crash there's less chances of hurting yourself on the remnants and leaving crap all over the track.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jay12329
Dr. Evil

PostPosted: 23:20 - 08 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The look like motrax magic mushrooms to me. I can say how good R&G are after coming off at silverstone. Motrex arnt known for being frame friendly!

As for mirrors they unscrew realy easily from the hornet, jsut leave them with your bag/in a car mine come off at every track day. I've never know anything go missing on a track day, but i'm sure someone will have a car to dump your bits in if you like.

You should tape up your numberplate, and headlight. Its up to you if you tape indicators and break light.

HTH
J

Stew

PostPosted: 23:47 - 08 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually remove my mirrors and number plate before I go out on track and tape up my headlights (usually use sticky back plastic which matches my bike for extra tartiness Razz ).

I also have non R&G crash bungs on my bike (motrax ones Confused ), but hope that they will help in a low speed spill, I figure there's not much hope of saving stuff at high speed anyway.

jjonth
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:59 - 09 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakefields not so far away from where I live, Huddersfield and there are quite a few curcuits close by.

Donnington,
Oulton,
Croft
and Darley are all about an hour and a quarter away from where I live. Im off to Donnington next Friday to get back into the swing of things lol and run the new bike in if I have it by then. Then im racing the week after that.

Cadwells a couple of hours away and so is Mallory, although Mallory isn't that good lol
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 51 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1