Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Getting redex in the carb

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

AcID ZeR0
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 26 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:41 - 11 Mar 2005    Post subject: Getting redex in the carb Reply with quote

I don't feel confident taking the carb off to clean it but I'd love to put some redex down it I've got two types of redex to hand the fuel one and the carb one I was wondering where do I put the carb one?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mr jamez
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:44 - 11 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure they are all just fuel additives?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:44 - 11 Mar 2005    Post subject: Re: Getting redex in the carb Reply with quote

AcID ZeR0 wrote:
I was wondering where do I put the carb one?


In the carb! Whistle Laughing

Can't really put it anywhere else Confused but I thought all redex was just fuel additives? Confused

If you do need it to go in the carb then;

You don't need to take the carbs off, just lift the tank off and pour it in the carb as described on the bottle .. however much/how etc.. but that's how you get to the carb.. tank off!
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:50 - 11 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pouring neat redex, straight into the carbs? A slightly pointless idea. It'd all just go straight into the engine and miss out the carburettor clean stage all together. It'd also all just immediately burn away.

You want to pour it into a full tank of petrol and run the bike as normal.

If there is a carb cleaning fluid that you just pour into the carb, then I've not heard of it (which doesn't really mean much), but I'd think it'd be for use when the carb is in pieces.
____________________
I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:20 - 11 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is for the standard normal petrol redex.... (which i'm assumeing you have)

Its all on the back of the bottle... get the bike warm, set it to
fast idle (2000rpmish) take the air filter off the bike, start it up, pour a big load of the stuff in very slowly, filter back on, idle back to normal..

If you just want it in the carb stick it in the tank, 1/4 of a bottle for the first go...
____________________
>RidingSkills<->Tech Tips<->MyBikes<
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:45 - 12 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If there is a carb cleaning fluid that you just pour into the carb, then I've not heard of it (which doesn't really mean much), but I'd think it'd be for use when the carb is in pieces.


Redex, oddly enough. Prior to it becoming this petrol additive stuff it was just used to either bathe carb bits in when you had it stripped, or alternatively pour into the open carb tops and leave standing for a few hours. No idea if they've changed the formulation or anything in the last 6 years though, there may be different variants of strength aimed at different usages.
When a bike is left standing for long periods (varies from a couple of months to a year or two depending on environment) the petrol in the carbs turns into a hard varnish like substance, particularly in the carb float bowls and needle seats. Running a bike in this case is nigh on impossible.
The red stuff is great for removing it, certainly easier than fresh petrol and a small stiff brush.

To this day I still twitch when I see GS1000 carbs in pieces Sick

**edit:
Two ways of putting redex into a standing carb, either remove the airbox and use a funnel to pour it into the carb housing, twist the throttle to open the butterflies and move the needles to get the liquid all through, or take the top off the carbs without dismounting them from the motor.
____________________
I'm immortal. Well, so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 208 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.74 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 50.56 Kb