Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike transport - how do you do it?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Black Knight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 11 Mar 2005    Post subject: Bike transport - how do you do it? Reply with quote

Im really wanting to do a day at Cadwell on the FZR. AFAIK to prep the bike all I need to do is tape up/remove lights mirrors etc.

My main point is how to get down there. Im in York so I imagine it no more that 90mins travelling but then theres the problem of prepping her when I arrive.

I do have a Luton Van and have used this to transport her before but its always been a bit of a bodge. I've scuffed/scratched fairings before and on one occasion the bike fell onto its side which didnt do much good Sad

What im really wanting to know is how to strap a bike up correctly so Its secure on a long journey and not gonna get damaged.

Thanks Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 11 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

We took 3 scooters down to the pod in a luton last summer. No scuffs or anything. Don't use centre or side stands. We just used cushions and big polystyrene blocks and ratcheting tie downs to fix the bikes to the sides of the van. We also cable tied the brakes.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Black Knight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 11 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the quick reply Dave!

Can you explain how you tied the bikes down exactly? where you threaded straps through/around. When I see people with trailers the straps go from bottom up and over then bottom again. Ive always attached straps as high as possible. is that the right way to do it?
What do you mean about cable tieing the brakes?

P.S if you ever need a Luton give me a shout buddy, I think I mentioned to ya before I've gone into house removals. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 11 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tied the bikes to the slats on the sides of the van not the floor and put the blocks of polystyrene between the van and the bike and under the straps. For the brakes we just pulled the levers back into the grips and cable tied them in place to stop being able to roll anywhere.

As for using you and your luton as my chauffeur/personal bitch, I might take you up on that Very Happy Fancy doing Santa pod on the 22nd of May?

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Black Knight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 11 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

divuk83 wrote:

As for using you and your luton as my chauffeur/personal bitch, I might take you up on that Very Happy Fancy doing Santa pod on the 22nd of May?

Dave

Personal bitch? You cheeky f**k Razz I'll bitch my foot right up your a**e when I see ya!

Yeah its certainly a possibility matey. Im on nights that weekend but could always book leave. Remind me about it nearer the time an i'll see what I can do Wink

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 11 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe Very Happy I have already booked quite a lot of days off for sprinting this year. I am off to the pod for the scooter hijack in August and will be doing all the straightliners rounds I can. Will have to meet up for a pint or go out for a ride out at some point.

Dave

Black Knight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:13 - 11 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes mate defo, You still got my number, i'll PM you it.
My baby's down at Stuart Rafferty's this week getting a few lil bits done. But Im free most days at the mo so give me a shout whenever.

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 11 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My number is in my profile on this site, but I have no days off till mid next week. Will give you a ring/text etc then.

Dave

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:39 - 11 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Order a couple of new sets of clutch plates now if you are taking an FZR on the drag strip. The clutches are not know for lasting a long time. However, at least an FZR clutch takes little time to change. Getting the fairing off is the bit that takes longest.

However if you fancy that then Elvington is far closer to York.

We use a bike trailer for the bike. I would not recommend tying over the bike as all you are doing is compressing the suspension and not providing any support from one side to the other. Get some heavy duty tie down straps. I normally use a couple of the pull tight ones to roughly hold the bike in place while I tie it up, then use some ratchet ones to secure it properly. One strap up to each side of the top yoke, another one to each rear footrest hanger.

All the best

Keith

Black Knight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:45 - 11 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one KS, heplful as usual.

Not taking it on the strip mate, just fancied doing a trackday, either way she's only got a headlight fairing, I like to show off her sexy body!

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:59 - 11 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Nah, take it down the strip. Bit of fun, and very local for you.

To be honest I would be tempted to just ride it there from York to Cadwell. If you pick a day when more from here are going then there should be plenty of help with preparation, pictures, suggestions, and if the worst comes to the worst bodging it back together for the journey home.

Here is my FZR600:-

https://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~ogri/J78CAL.htm

All the best

Keith

Will87
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:26 - 11 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad and i use a trailer, we have two, one for a single bike and the other for three bikes. All work quite well with rachet straps. However i have seen bikes in vans on centre stands tied down with something resembling an indian rope trick Very Happy.

Mr C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 12 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

motrax do a superb yoke cuff that has heavy duty ratchets with it

for less than 20 quid it's gotta be worth it

I drag mine around on the trailer all over the place with the bars secured like this and two other ratchet straps attached to the subframe mounting brackets

Kaben
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:21 - 12 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubble wrap is insanely cheap. use it to cover the fairings to prevent scratches.

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 03:36 - 12 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaben wrote:
Bubble wrap is insanely cheap. use it to cover the fairings to prevent scratches.

Just make sure the bike is well cooled down before you start sticking bubble wrap around things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

strag
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:49 - 12 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is worth using a paddock stand as well as the things mentioned above.

Kaben
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 12 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

binge wrote:
just make sure the bike is well cooled down before you start sticking bubble wrap around things.

Good point, didnt think of that Embarassed

Mr C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 12 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

acer wrote:
It is worth using a paddock stand as well as the things mentioned above.

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

don't ever do this, they are way too unstable to use in a van

my mate's supercharged zx12r fell off a padock stand in the van (it was all ratchet strapped down as well) scratched his loverly polished stretched swing arm to buggery

he was not happy

get a motrax yoke thingy, it's all you need in a van, really

BLOFLY 636
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:46 - 13 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't tie the strap arround the throttle grip like I did when I strapped the bike down because I have just realised that the throttle is now a bit hindered and tight Confused I think I may have damaged the throttle roller bush thing inside the grip Crying or Very sad

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:58 - 13 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we had to bring back the MZ, we had a mate with a custom built trailer. Not much really, looked like a conventional trailer wiht the top removed. Just a groove down the middle for the tires to go in and then two heavy duty rope ties + clamps to hold the bike down, looping around the trailer. Held the bike superbly on the extremely bumpy and crap island roads.

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:15 - 13 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an R&G tiedown (which is similar to the one mentioned by Mr C) - see the pictures below from their website. Cost is about £15. Attach a couple of ratchet straps to that on the trailer and then a couple more on the back of the bike. It's surprising how stable it is.

Mr C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:18 - 13 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's it

that's the very boy

don't bother with any other cack handed strapping, roping or bungeeing

there is your answer in a picture

they are truly superb Cool

BLOFLY 636
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:47 - 13 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLOFLY 636 wrote:
don't tie the strap arround the throttle grip like I did when I strapped the bike down because I have just realised that the throttle is now a bit hindered and tight Confused I think I may have damaged the throttle roller bush thing inside the grip Crying or Very sad

Oh no wait it was just the rubber had slid down and was rubbin on the bar end Rolling Eyes oh thank god for that Laughing

clemsta
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:24 - 13 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i put my bike in the back of the van i don't use the centre stand, i get a big plastic bread tray from a bakers and support the middle of the bike with it (lower fairing off). It's much wider than a stand. Then i put ratchet straps over the handlebars and a ratchet strap over the backend. I put a folded towel over the seat and strap it over the seat to stop any damage. Its always very stable and i've never had any damage yet.

Hope this helps

Adam

Mr C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 13 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem with using supports like paddock stands and centre stands is that if you brake hard and the bike is not prevented from moving slightly forward then it will rock off the stand (this is much worse on a paddock stand) of course, once it's off the stand the straps supporting it are no longer in tension and th ebike is free to wobble about

usually with the paddock stand caught up in the swingarm, chain, rear brake etc

it's a terrible idea, don't do it Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 49 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2