BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Test fails???

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 00:49 - 28 Mar 2002    Post subject: Test fails??? Reply with quote

Im gonna be takin my test soon(if i can ever be arsed to call and book it!) and wanna know a coupla points.
On the emergeny stop is changin down a fault?
And is two fingered clutch and brake bad as well?

Viper
Get off my bloody bike!

PostPosted: 01:05 - 28 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

They dont like to see to 2 fingered braking ~ as 'apparently' it lacks your control/power.

On emergency stop, i was told it was an instant fail to change down whilst braking. ...
But on my test, i did accidently change down into 1st gear as i came to a stop. Embarassed At this point i thought i had failed. Crying or Very sad So when the examiner said to pull away again, i just made it look like i was clunking down through the gears, ...and i did actually get away with it and still pass! Wink

My instructor said i was bloody lucky! 8)

Its pure habit that i change down whilst braking sharply. As to be honest, if I ever have to emergency stop, 9 times out of 10 there WILL be someone behind you that hasnt see you stop.
And i would rather have that ability to pull away, than watch the dumb driver in my mirrors, plough into you from behind!! :o
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 01:26 - 28 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, thats all crap. Evil or Very Mad
You stop quicker if you change down(engine braking, thats how i always stop) and if tou still have 2 fingers on the bar then you have more control.

Thats how I see it anyway.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:35 - 28 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO they are at least partly right... While I could do two-fingered stoppies on the nsr you don't get nearly as much 'feel' as you do with your whole hand.
Also if you absoloutly *have* to stop, say becasue a truck has just pulled acrross the road, one the back wheel probably won't be doing much as it should be just at the point it's about to lift and two you don't want to be distracting yourself with messing with the gears...

Zimma
Wheelie Junkie

PostPosted: 11:13 - 28 Mar 2002    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

on my test i was told that it was fine to change down while doing an emergency stop, although there wasnt much point cos they dont care either way.

during my test i changed down anyways .. i didnt fail so nevermind Smile

and mcjamweasel, when doing an emergency stop on the test the engine braking wouldnt help at all, because your not letting the clutch out while changing gear, all you have to do is pullin the clutch and slam the brakes without locking either wheel.

obviously in real life situations, when coming to some lights i always use engine braking, it makes a luuurvely sound on my zxr, oh and just to be sure im using the maximum braking potential i do some backfires too Smile
(hitting the kill switch slows the bike down even more than engine braking) Very Happy

anyways, basically the test is easy, and always remember, its a game and yo uhave to play by their rules for 40 mins, you will do stuff in the test that you wouldnt dream about in real riding Smile

NSRboi
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:22 - 29 Mar 2002    Post subject: Emergency stops Reply with quote

I wouldn't be too concerned about changing down in gears when stopping suddenly. The examiner will be looking to see that you can bring your machine to a swift CONTROLLED halt. You must react quickly to his signal, using the brakes correctly (apply the front brake just before the rear), stop the machine as quickly as possible without locking either wheel. I have seen no mention in DSA literature that its not permitted to change down in gears, but common sense says that its not a good idea if it delays, interferes, or effects your control or stopping your machine (in an emergency). Best advice I can give is CLUTCH IN, FRONT BRAKE, BACK BRAKE. If your only doing 25-30 miles per hour in a built up area, its not necessary when stopping suddenly to change down in gears anyway, I cant imagine that would serve to impress the instructor anyways.

As for the two finger clutch thing, the same things goes. The test instructor wants to see a confident, controlled ride under various traffic conditions. He may interpret this as not full control of your machine if he notices it.

I am doing my driving test on the 23rd April. I've been riding my NSR for the last 7 months. Its easy to pick up some bad habits. Get plenty of lessons before your test, and do things by the book.

A good site for general advice on this is at https://home.clara.net/survivalskills/the_test.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 21:15 - 29 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Best advice I can give is CLUTCH IN, FRONT BRAKE, BACK BRAKE.

Actually, the "proper" way (according to my instructor) is FRONT BRAKE, BACK BRAKE, CLUTCH IN, STOP...you shouldn't touch the clutch until you have almost stopped...I reckon it's more natural to pull the clutch in from the start, but...

...I'm also a fan of coasting to junctions and lights etc...which is f*cker, 'cos I'll fail for doing that in a test... Evil or Very Mad

Anyways...

Tin

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 04:04 - 30 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always leave the clutch until the last minute, engine braking and all that (not that theres much on a 2 stroke 125!) and thats why I downshift as well.

zaknafien

PostPosted: 14:05 - 30 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

i usually ease off the revs (helps you stop) then hit the front brake then back brake then clutch.

Is that engine braking?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TJ NSR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 30 Mar 2002    Post subject: my way Reply with quote

for an emergencystop i was tought in car and on bike you should brake then pull in clutch, and thats the way the examiners wanna c it.

normally when riding i front brake then clutch and change down, pulling in the clutch when braking makes it slower as u got less control over bak wheel.

speedfreak

PostPosted: 11:57 - 31 Mar 2002    Post subject: breaking Reply with quote

Hi Very Happy I have just got a second hand nsr I love it its a pocket rocket Wink I havunt done my test yet but when i did my cbt we coverd stops and i was told that u did nit even have to use the clutch u could stall the bike and that would be fine and would not fail u. As for 2 fingerd stoping that woulkd count as a fail i belive Crying or Very sad . If u can be arsed to take the test good luck.
You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 3 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1