Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

track day novices

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Topic moved: from UK National to General Bike Chat by Korn (8 Apr 2005 - 13:36)
View previous topic : View next topic  

zip70
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:40 - 16 Mar 2005    Post subject: track day novices Reply with quote

Hi how crap are the riders in the novice groups at track days, and can you literally do it on any bike. do you se people turn up on non sportsbikes?

cheers

jay12329
Dr. Evil

PostPosted: 22:44 - 16 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well craig the worst rider is the world is doing a track day on a GPZ500, the worst bike in the world. Cool (You know i'm joking craig, the CBR125 is the worst bike in the world. Laughing )

Yes you can be to slow on a track day but only if you ride extreamly slowly. Any bike is genrally ok for a track day, its mostly about the rider. Last year on a 33bhp restricted hornet i overtook a R1.
Get on a day with some other BCFers and we'll see your alright.
HTH
J
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:45 - 16 Mar 2005    Post subject: Re: track day novices Reply with quote

A cb400 should be fine.

It's probably not worth it if you're really, really slow. I'd go to a roundabout first and get used to leaning, then do it Smile.

Otherwise, there is people of all levels on all bikes, so don't worry.

Even if you're really, really slow, worst case expect extra help from the instructors.

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 22:48 - 16 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You going to come along and show us all up then?

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 22:51 - 16 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would consider doing a Race School rather than a trackday. Race Schools are much better, admittedly they cost more but it's a much better experience all round.

I know a Race instructor and these days you get experts booking themselves into intermediate, and intermediate booking into novice, so when you get a genuine trackday virgin they're not on the track with all novices.

Race schools on the other hand are much better organised, and actually teach you how to ride faster not just let you loose on a track.

It's upto you though, that's just my opinion.

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 22:53 - 16 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those lovely people on the message board over at https://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/ are looking at organising an Enfield only trackday. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! Smile

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:54 - 16 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think most people would get much more from two trackdays than one race school.

If you have the money to do race schools, then go for it. But they tend to be three times the price of trackdays, with many places giving you a lot less track time.

zip70
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:57 - 16 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol ok well i am certainly going to do one, and more if it goes well this summer!! i reckon that i am an ok rider considering my bike, but i have sticky rubber on it and i have seen the pegs down on both sides this year already, so i am up for giving it a go.

just worried that i would get laughed off the track or something Razz

anyway i have plans to fit cbr600f2 forx and rear shock which go straight into the cb1 so that shoud sharpen up the handling! then its just the ground clearence!! the engine is ok, shud be good for 50 horses Razz

also got my full leather suit now Razz

cheers for the advice guys i will see you all sometime soona at a track day hopefully!

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 22:59 - 16 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I partially agree G, like I say it's just opinion. I know that the instructor I know had someone who was racing in the R6 cup and the lad had only ever done trackdays then entered as a privateer. He booked into the race school because a couple of his mates were doing it, and he thought he'd turn up and gave it the big one, thinking he was great. Once the instructor had proved a point that he wasn't as good as he thought he was, he actually started listening to the instructor, and they managed to take 3 seconds off his laptime.

Trackdays are all well and good, but they are not governed as such, there are horror stories of some idiot on a beat up CBR6 taking out someone on a brand new Blade or 999, and with no insurance there's not much you can do. But like you say, if you can afford a Race School it's best, but if you can't, then you will improve from just doing a trackday, but beware of the risks Thumbs Up

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:00 - 16 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're getting your pegs down you should probably move something. The usual thing is your body Smile.

If you're happy doing that you won't have a problem and are unlikely to be the slowest at least.

No one woth worrying about will laugh at you for being slow.

zip70
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:04 - 16 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

seriously the ground clearence is rather wank!! ince i got my full leathers i have been hanging off here there and everywhere!!! but pegs seem to go down 1st b4 knee anyway Confused

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:11 - 16 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would quite like to do a race school. But I would spend the money when I stop improving myself.

As I'm just getting back into it, I'll see how the racing goes.

It doesn't seem paying £300 to get used to track riding, when you would probably learn almost as much on a £90 track day yourself.
Remember most trackdays do have free instructors to show you the basics.

I would suggest that it's best to do a few track days first. That way you can find the 'level' you are at, and get a much better idea of your faults.
Riding on track is a very different beast to riding on the road. It will take a while to get used to, however you do it. So seems a bit of a waste of money to pay extra to learn stuff you would anyway.
Could look at it that you may be taught better from the start.

Also a lot of schools offer very little track time, for instance only 3 x 15 minute sessions for some!

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 16 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

jay12329 wrote:
Well craig the worst rider is the world is doing a track day on a GPZ500, the worst bike in the world. Cool (You know i'm joking craig, the CBR125 is the worst bike in the world. Laughing )

Mad

It will be my first trackday and I hopefully won't be that bad, aslong as I don't crash I don't care anyway. Razz

Last edited by iCraig on 23:33 - 16 Mar 2005; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nighteyes
Dirty Bint

PostPosted: 23:29 - 16 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

Exactly, so just ignore Shaun! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:32 - 16 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nighteyes wrote:
G wrote:

Exactly, so just ignore Shaun! Wink

Did he say something?

Wink

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 16 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna be laughed at cos I am so slow and when I crash at Cadwell. Dance!

Gonna be fun. Very Happy

zip70
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:50 - 16 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol maybe we should do one together mate!

whens the cadwell one and where is cadwell?

tom

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 16 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cadwell trackday is on the 31st of May, and its in Horncastle, Lincolnshire.

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:35 - 17 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first trackday is this Saturday however at Donington Park. Confused

The#Doctor#
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:45 - 17 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

While were on the subject of trackdays is there anything i can do before i go on the track to protect my bike as havent had it for long and dont want to kill the fairing if i came off on a trackday (cbr6 btw)

Thanks!! Cool

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 00:47 - 17 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

R&G crash bungs. Worth every penny.

www.rg-racing.com

Incidentally, why does everyone always worry about binning on a trackday? You're just as likely to bin on the road, and probably to do more damage in the process (more to hit).

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:47 - 17 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The#Doctor# wrote:
While were on the subject of trackdays is there anything i can do before i go on the track to protect my bike as havent had it for long and dont want to kill the fairing if i came off on a trackday (cbr6 btw)

R&G Crash Bungs!

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:50 - 17 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
R&G crash bungs. Worth every penny.

www.rg-racing.com

Beat me to it!

Bendy wrote:
Incidentally, why does everyone always worry about binning on a trackday? You're just as likely to bin on the road, and probably to do more damage in the process (more to hit).

I don't think people worry more about binning it on a track, it's just that you're not insured (or less likely to be anyway). Plus, you have something of a satefy net on a track (for the very reasons you mentioned) and so people seem to push harder. I'm generalising I realise, but I think it's fair.

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 01:00 - 17 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not in the best place to argue it, having only binned on the track and not on the road Laughing

I had bungs on my bike for the road anyway. Admittedly, I've now got a set of scraggy plastics that I'll put on for trackdays, but I'll also probably be lazy and leave them on for the road half the time.

Maybe I'm just over the 'honeymoon period' and reckon that if it happens, it happens. Scratches are like scars, they hint at experiences and stories to tell. Thumbs Up

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 10:24 - 17 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree. IME you're much more likely to crash on one mile of trackday riding, than one mile of road riding. Offset is it's a safer place to crash, you don't even have to pick your own bike up off the floor Confused
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 16 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2