Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Car driving instructors rant

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 21 Mar 2005    Post subject: Car driving instructors rant Reply with quote

I've finally had it with learner car drivers. Not so much the drivers themselves, perhaps, but the instructors that accompany them. Why do they insist on letting their student do 20mph on a 30 road? They all do it. I can imagine many are nervous; I was while doing CBT, but I was not allowed to drop below the speed limit. I got a 'catch up' or 'quick as you like' if I failed to reach the speed limit quickly enough, but it seems the speed limit rules of the road do not apply to those undertaking car lessons. Not only that, but they do not even try and get to the speed limit in any amount of hurry. How do they suppose they can pull into a busy junction without knowing how to accelerate promptly. The second road I was taken on was a four lane A-road in busy traffic. I was shitting it, but still managed to negotiate it without any problems and no tooting of horns behind me.

'Overtake them then' I hear the reply. Well that's exactly what I would do, except I'm very rarely right behind them. There's always one or two cars between me and the novice. It's not really possible to overtake on a 125 in a controlled way unless the road is straight and clear. I've seen plenty of larger bikes pull infront of the first car ahead and pull back in, wait for the next clearing and go for it again until they're clear of the obstruction. I have the option of dropping two gears and deciding if I can pass two cars before that bend gets too near and I can no longer see far ahead enough. By the time I've sorted this out, it's too late and I'm already at the corner (well, the learner is anyway).

Car instructors, make your students do the speed limit at all times Mad

[/rant]

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 21 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's anything like my CBT, it wasn't made abudantly clear that accelerating from 20 mph up a hill in fourth wasn't really a clever idea. Hence, I ended up going about 25 everywhere, desperately trying not to hit any kerbs, and wondering how the hell you're supposed to go round corners by 'leaning'.

It's not the students fault however, I don't know if they're advised of the best gear to be in at all speeds, or if they're actually told to keep up to the limits. They might be too timid too want to thrash the machine too, I certainly was, resulting in upshifting too early and generally going nowhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Vespa
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:45 - 21 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Vespa on 22:53 - 31 Oct 2005; edited 1 time in total

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 21 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, but if you're siting next to someone in a car, you can see what gear they're in and how fast they are doing. A little incouragement from the instructor wouldn't go amiss. They are learning to drive to pass a test. If they do 20 in a 30 on a test, they fail.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 20:58 - 21 Mar 2005    Post subject: Re: Car driving instructors rant Reply with quote

fuzz wrote:
They all do it.

Another BCF member generalising yet again. I am currently doing driving lessons and I keep getting told off for going TOO fast Razz so not ALL of us learner drivers do it Rolling Eyes Laughing

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 21 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yams, I meant the instructors not telling their students to speed up, not the students all being too slow. Rolling Eyes

In the words of Mr Myagi "Teacher say, student do."

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 21 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My driving lessons suck. Slow car. Wide car. Sharp brakes. Too many pedals.

A few more lessons and it might all be over. I hope.

I keep going to fast as i'm less aware of the speed in a car. Add to that my lifesavers all the time...

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 21:05 - 21 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

cagiva gezzer wrote:
My driving lessons suck. Slow car. Wide car. Sharp brakes. Too many pedals.

Unlucky Very Happy I get to drive around in a newish Almera 1.8 SRI Razz Very Happy

Fruit'n'nut
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:07 - 21 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I frequently see driving school cars dawdling along on main roads round here too. When I learnt to drive, I didn't get instructed to drive anywhere except round a quiet trading estate until I was good enough to get up to and maintain the speed limit of the road I was on.

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 21 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow & wide by my stds. Its a new Mini TDI. £25ph makes drinking seam really cheap!

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 21:44 - 21 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My driving instructor wouldn't let me go below the limit if it was safe to do so. He insisted that I do maximum safest speed.

On my first lesson I was driving down the dual carriage way at 70mph.

Second lesson accidently ended up on a motorway. Rolling Eyes

Good instructor, passed first time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 21 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I didn't get instructed to drive anywhere except round a quiet trading estate until I was good enough to get up to and maintain the speed limit of the road I was on.

Quote:
He insisted that I do maximum safest speed.

None of these types in the South Birmingham area however Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:59 - 21 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they must teach them at some point because the people pass their test eventually. You will fail if you don't "make progress when you can".

When I come up behind a learner driver, I sit behind them at a safe distance for a bit and slowly move about in their mirrors. I do this until I see either the driver notice me or the instructor notice and comment upon it to the driver. I like to hope the instructor takes the oppertunity to give a "Now there is a motorbike behind you, notice how you need to use both mirrors to keep him in sight, he will pass in a minute, notice how he disappears into your blind spot when this happens." type speil.

Maybe wishfull thinking on my part.

haGGard
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:42 - 21 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm taking my first driving lesson this Thursday. I wont be going slow though Twisted Evil Wont be breaking the speed limit too Wink

I wouldn't say im nervous though Smile I've had some experiance driving a car. Everytime i drive one i get all excited for some reason Razz Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A J
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:25 - 22 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are just nervous and no one drives exactly at 30 anyway but they cant realy go above with the instucter sitting next to them.

On my CBT it was like trenchel rain and we had to go on a dual carrige way and when we were travilling at 40 i couldnt see anything because of the rain but i was too afraid to take one hand off to put my visor down but it was an experiance. and i was the oppiste i for some reason didnt like changing gear so i didnt and i was ragsing the B#lix off of that little champ.

I did it with my brother and we decided to have a little race on the dual carrigeway completly stupid but it was a battle of wills until the instructer told us to stop farting about.

zip70
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:00 - 22 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why do they insist on letting their student do 20mph on a 30 road?

well thats bollox, when i was learning to drive my instructor made it clear that i was to make progress through the gears, and not hold the traffic up by going up to and sticking at the limit!!

i think it is more the fact of nervous learners going too slow, not the instructors making them Wink

Kaben
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:28 - 22 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

my instructor made a point of going up the gears quickely (with correct acceleration obviously and revs for each gear). He had a go at me when i was taking so long to go up the gears lol!

so its a bit of a generalisation, but i guess some instructors are more clued than others. If a learner is on his first couple of lessons, you gotta cut them slack as it can all be very daunting.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 10:08 - 22 Mar 2005    Post subject: Re: Car driving instructors rant Reply with quote

fuzz wrote:
...Why do they insist on letting their student do 20mph on a 30 road? They all do it....

Too much generalisation there Thumbs Down
When starting maybe not getting through the gears quick enough but the instructor I know takes pupils to a private area to practice this first.

As said if you are deemed not making sufficient progress (that'd be doing 20mph in a 30 limit) when traffic/conditions allows then you fail the test.

Now IMO what you should be worried about on your 125cc is those drivers who've passed yet do 45-50mph in a NSL (that's also a test failure BTW). They're even harder to pass. What makes it worse is that these drivers often continue at that speed when going from NSL through 40 & 30 limits Rolling Eyes Mad

Just some thoughts Karma
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 22 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so maybe a big generalisation, which is not something I'm usually prone too honest Shifty but the point was why did I have to do the speed limit at all times on my first nervous ride out on two wheels, but nervous car drivers can get away with it for a short time?

When I said they all do it, I meant if a learner driver is going a bit too slow, I have never seen them pick up the pace, so the instructor is therefore not telling them to speed up.

0ni
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:05 - 22 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If an instructor doesn't push a student forward and make them reach speed limits and make progress, that person is going to take longer to get to test standard and/or fail and have to come back for more lessons.

More moola $$$

In my bike lessons I was fairly reserved, keeping to speed limits etc Didn't have much choice until I was complaining of lack of speed in national speed limits..

..."Drop a gear, get your head down, rag the tits off it."

I think bike instructors and car instructors are a much different breed.

bigedyant
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:43 - 22 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have taught a good many people to drive , you are unlikely to know what a difficult job it is to do.

Pupils don't always do what you tell them, so even telling them to speed up doesn't always work. They can be panicked by the least bit of a thing so the last thing that is needed is one of us bikers or anybody for that matter, peeping and trying to force their way past. And to have a go at the instructor is just plain ignorant.

Please be patient with learner drivers, and remember not everyone is as natural a driver as you.

Bigedyant D.S.A.A.D.I. - Driving Instructor & Biker

jimster
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:17 - 22 Mar 2005    Post subject: Lol, sometimes true but usually not! Reply with quote

Clearly this isn't true - I think learners go slightly below the correct speed (say 28mph), and as most people are going 33mph, they get a long tail. I know I did, and that was even though I went at 30 in a 30 zone when I was learning, otherwise my instructor would tell me to speed up!

Even now I've passed my test, whenever I drive I do 27-30mph and I still get loads of people hammering up right behind me, then braking and skidding, swearing and tooting their horn as they try and avoid tailgating me. It's really annoying, but maybe I should learn to go a bit faster on motorways Laughing

Seriously though, I think the tailback problem is caused by the majority of people edging over the limit than learners going at the correct speed. And they're only learning after all.

Bomberman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 22 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaggis wrote:
They might be too timid too want to thrash the machine too, I certainly was, resulting in upshifting too early and generally going nowhere.

I was too. After more than a decade of driving cars, I was terrified by the almost painfully loud noise the engine made Shocked Convinced I was going to make it go pop all the time. My instructor kept on "Give it more revs!" and I was thinking, are you mad? Are you deaf? Very Happy
Course, now I have my 2 banger, I realise that the SR was very quiet indeed Very Happy

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 19:51 - 22 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i felt sorry for the poor bugger who went down the A507 (aka baldock buntingford road aka 4 miles of beautiful twisties on wonderful conditioned road traversed by buses, trucks and people on very powerful sportsbikes with death wishes), obviously bricking it. Doing literally 20mph down a NSL i do 100 down most of. Slightly concerning.

Never mind. Good for tormenting at least.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...

ginguar
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:25 - 22 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My driving instructor annoys me sometimes. I will have a car hammering towards me which I know isn't going to stop and he will say "don't worry it's your right of way" and I am thinking well yes but that isn't going to stop the laws of physics.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 36 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2