Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Women only trackdays?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Topic moved: from UK National to General Bike Chat by Korn (8 Apr 2005 - 13:36)
View previous topic : View next topic  

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 28 Mar 2005    Post subject: Women only trackdays? Reply with quote

Jeanette has been to every trackday with me that I've done and is vaguely interested in having a go herself. The biggest thing that puts her off though, is that she's worried about people saying she's slow, aggressive male riders etc.

I remember seeing an advert sometime last year for a female only trackday at Silverstone. Can't remember the organiser though. Does anyone know who does these or if it's a common thing? I haven't seen any others advertised (and I virtually live on https://www.uktrackdays.co.uk Laughing ).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell her to have a look at the bikegirl website (I think its www.bikegirl.co.uk but I've not been on there myself for ages) as they have put together a womens race team, and someone on there will probably know.

MementoMori
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:08 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah babyyam beat me to it.
I found this:

https://www.bikegirl.co.uk/snippets/events/silverstone_171004.html

I know it was an event last year but you can see how things happen and there might be some information there or you could contact Silverstone I guess to get info

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 09:32 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

So getting cut up by agressive female riders is alright then? Laughing

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 09:43 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not send her along to one that were all doing and when more of the females of the forum are riding on track?

Plus why the hell should she care if shes slow on track its not a race day and most track day organisers give out novice bibs for the nervous etc which warns other riders to stay away. Plus their is always the tution on a track day.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:55 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

There are plenty of slow people on track days. For example, I might be there.

However if she is still worried and you do find a women only track day then let us know as we know someone who might be interested.

All the best

Keith

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 11:56 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

A novice-only trackday would make far more sense.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:14 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:

Maybe, but the person we are thinking about is very nervous.

All the best

Keith

Fruit'n'nut
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:39 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:

I'd far rather go to a novices-only trackday than a "normal" one Thumbs Up

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 13:57 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, my 2p on the matter:

Arrow It's your first track day. You are meant to be nervous.

Arrow The novice group is called the novice group for a reason. It's full of novices.

Arrow The majority of trackday companies offer brightly coloured bibs for the extra nervous. Wear one - it means the people coming to overtake you will know you're nervy and will give you plenty of room. It also warns them that you might do something unpredictable.

Arrow Nobody is singling you out. Nobody cares how fast you go or how slow you go. The only person putting that pressure on you is yourself.

Arrow Instructors are available, for free, at every trackday. Use them.

Arrow Ride for yourself. You will find that you get faster than you were at the beginning of the day. What everyone else does is irrelevant.

I honestly don't see how a women-only or novice-only trackday is going to change anything at all - you are still going to be on a track with X other people who you don't know, some of whom are faster than you, some of whom are slower, some of whom are considerate, some of whom are dicks.

A trackday is not a race, there is no minimum expectation level, you don't have to be 'on the pace' - the whole point is just for you to go out and have fun riding your bike, and generally learn a thing or two about it in the process.

To be blunt, if someone's that intimidated by the concept of sharing a wide piece of tarmac with 30 odd other riders, all going in the same direction, it makes me wonder how they can cope with riding on the roads, cos that's far more of a headfuck when you really think about it.

Penny Coin Penny Coin

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 13:59 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like giving Men only trackdays, the furoré that would happen would be amazing.

I can see some company called Diamond, giving women CHEAPER women only trackdays though. Evil or Very Mad
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nc30 chick
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:21 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bendy, I wanted to do a female only track day but have now come to the conclusion that I dont care anymore and as long as I ride for myself then it doesnt matter. If I get slaughtered by men on the track, who cares! I dont. Im there to gain confidence on my bike and to ride for myself.
Im now waiting for a suitable date to come up for either castle coombe or Brands now that me and hubby can do. Very Happy

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:23 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very scared on my first trackday. I had a slower bike than most and had been riding for a fairly short amount of time. It was a big fast track with lots of R1s and Blades scooting about.

I was third from last every session, but it gave me loads of space to breathe. The faster riders were ahead and two slower ones were behind. So what? I had a whale of a time once I was out there. No one intimidated me, no one cut me up and no one overtook me recklessly.

The only time I have been intimidated on track was at my first Cadwell trackday where I was cut up by three bandit 1200 riders who should have been in inters. I believe they got a warning after that session. Even so, I held my ground and did not fall off. It may also have been to do with the fact I was riding a 955i and 'fair game' as such...

Still I'm here to tell the tale, and so are all other members of this forum who have done trackdays. Confident or nervous, Male or female.

Just do a trackday is my advice! Smile

jay12329
Dr. Evil

PostPosted: 14:48 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first track day i was on a 33bhp hornet, after owning it only 3 months. I was also at cadwell park where a few months before one of the top riders in world motorbike sport almost died. I was shitting myself. I was the only person on a naked bike, and to make it worse i missed the first session so didn’t have a clue where i was going. After the first session of toddeling around a track i had a huge smile on my face, even tho i didnt get about 60mph i felt so much freeer than on the road.
I was extremely slow, only got 4-5 laps a 20min session. And i was much slower than everyone else there, i survived and a year later i am riding in the intermediate group.
You dont need to be on a fast bike, you dont need to be a fast mega confident rider. You just need to go at your own speed and be happy within your own limits.
I am an externally nervous person, and was physically sick before my first session. I was shaking sat in the holding area. But as soon as i got on track i concentrated on what i was doing and let everyone else get on with what they were doing.
HTH
J
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:55 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do occasionaly find people being tits in the novice group; if this is the case, then do tell the instructors or other officials.

May even be that the people don't realise they are scaring other people.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 15:01 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit off topic, but do you ever find Bandit 600's doing the tracks at all? I know you get Hornets buzzing around but they are more powerful than a Bandit, just wondering if it is worth doing. Smile
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

jay12329
Dr. Evil

PostPosted: 15:02 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon you get gs500's, cb500s, hornets, bandits, fazers. You can track day anything!
J
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 15:05 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Me like a lot. Cool

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

As other people have said you will be nervous anyway doing your first trackday, no matter what.

I was totally shitting myself in the morning before my first session at donington and I was shaking like a leaf and couldn't stop going to the toilet every five minutes, but as soon as the first session came I went out on track and soon found confidence and began to learn the track.

And think about it with your helmet on, no one knows if you male or female nor do they probably care.

Also I'd like to point out you can do a trackday on any machine bar a cruiser probably, look at me I did it on a 500cc 'commuter' bike.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:25 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
A bit off topic, but do you ever find Bandit 600's doing the tracks at all?

Seen all sorts doing track days, from Bandits through to Pan Europeans and including 60+ year old Vincents.

All the best

Keith

Fruit'n'nut
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:42 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:

Arrow The novice group is called the novice group for a reason. It's full of novices.

Exclamation

Define "novice".

I did one track day last year, with a certain company who put each rider who hasn't ridden a particular circuit before in the novice group regardless of experience. It will take a couple of sessions to weed out those who really should be in Inters or even Fast.

In the meantime you have a mixed group of nervous novices and much faster riders - meaning there's a big differential in speeds. In my book that's not good.

(I accept that's maybe just a comment on that particular company - I don't know if there's a similar rule across other TD-providers)

Bendy wrote:
To be blunt, if someone's that intimidated by the concept of sharing a wide piece of tarmac with 30 odd other riders, all going in the same direction, it makes me wonder how they can cope with riding on the roads, cos that's far more of a headfuck when you really think about it.

I think road-riding is a lot easier tbh. It's less physical effort, tends toward being slower in terms of absolute speeds reached or attempted and if you encounter any dick-head riders, they're gone in a flash instead of coming past you two or three times a session ...

On the plus-side, the road surfaces are MUCH nicer on-track! Very Happy Thumbs Up

Just my opinion btw, not having a dig at you Bendy Smile

(I'll be doing another trackday one day too, but not for a long while yet.)

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:54 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I did one track day last year, with a certain company who put each rider who hasn't ridden a particular circuit before in the novice group regardless of experience. It will take a couple of sessions to weed out those who really should be in Inters or even Fast.

I forget which company, but I read something about that one and how it was to be avoided. This was in relation to a fast club racer who was put into the Novice group despite specifically requesting not to.

Choosing a good company is definitely worth while.
Haven't done any 100% days, but they always used to be well run. European superbike school seem to be pretty good.
Focused events have got better since we first did a track day with them, I reckon.

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 19:58 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's any problems with "women only" days. Many women just feel more comfortable doing something new in the company of other women. I don't think its an inferiority complex thing. Just because the women that post here are confident around guys doesn't mean all women are.

Out of interest do the girls here who don't like the idea of a women's only track day (Bendy, Laura, nc30 chick) hang aroud with mainly girls or mainly guys? I would reckon it would be the latter.

At the climbing centre I go to there are regular "women's nights" and they seem quite popular. Smile

btw I'm a bloke Razz

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 20:01 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major_Grooves wrote:

btw I'm a bloke Razz

...on Tuesdays... Laughing Razz

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 20:11 - 29 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fruit'n'nut wrote:

Define "novice".

Someone lacking in confidence or skill.
A true novice (1st timer) should be in a bib, the rest of the group should be made up of the nervy and slow... I'm doing my 10th trackday on Monday and I've booked into novice cos I'm really rusty from the winter and the confidence is a bit low.

The majority of companies let people define their own group and will only move them if they're clearly wrong. The likes of ESS use proper timing to do that, with great results. Highly recommended for newbies cos of the way they grid you.

Yeah, you can get people in novice who shouldn't be (want to be a big fish perhaps), but on the bigger circuits, you shouldn't see them very often in a 20 minute session. And if they're really bad, report them and they'll get a bollocking. Thumbs Up

Grooves... my issue is with the idea that a women-only day will be less intimidating than a normal day. Women can be arrogant dicks who ride like wankers too. So unless it's actually run as a novice-only, ladies-only, come-and-have-a-go kinda thing, it's just as possible that you'll get cut up by some bird that's got the red mist. The days are so rare that you could spend years waiting for one instead of just doing a 'normal' day.

And as far as 'doing something new in the company of other women' goes - that's cool. But does it need to be every single rider on the track? Why not just organise a few other ladies that want a go and book together?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 25 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2