Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Paint discoloured? Any bright ideas?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

TomC
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 17 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:50 - 16 Mar 2005    Post subject: Paint discoloured? Any bright ideas? Reply with quote

Well my bikes going to be sold soon to make way for another. The decals on the plastics were a mess so I removed them, I didnt like the look of them anyway. The problem is the paint doesnt match, where the decals were the paint is in good nick, and everywhere else the paint is lighter and not as shiny. Is there anything I can use to make it look a little more even? I dont want to respray it if im selling it and I would rather not have to buy the decals but I may have to.
Any suggestions or will I have to make do?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

speedfight
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:59 - 16 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yer try Autoglym paint restorer and Auto resin polish it works a trick Thumbs Up trust me on this one. I have done the same Thumbs Up
____________________
Peugeot Speedfight 100cc (year 2000)
Polini Clutch, Malossi Multivar 2000 Variator
Malossi Kevlarf Belt, Doppler Exhaust
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TomC
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 17 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:18 - 16 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I will give that a go.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:02 - 16 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

What colour senda is it?

You could try PLASTIC RENEW

I've used the Autoglym method in the past and had very good results. I had to use some wet-n-dry for the tough bits.

Another method you could try is Sanding the plastics with fine sandpaper and then blowing them all over with a hot air gun. The hot air will melt the top layer of plastic leaving a shiney as new finish.
____________________
"because one stroke isnt enough and four strokes waste two"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TomC
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 17 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:10 - 16 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its light blue, probably not the best as some bits have got very white.
I will get some Autoglym to start with and see what that does and go from there.

Thanks for the replies.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TomC
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 17 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:23 - 30 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, well the plastics are such a mess that im not even going to bother trying autoglym, I thought I had some in the shed but turns out I didnt.

Anyway, As I dont want to have to have them painted im looking at this hot air method you speak of Cagiva gezzer. If I get them nice and smooth using some wet and dry, do you think a cheap 2000 watt hot air gun for about a tenner will do the job in giving it a nice shiny surface? It doesnt have to brilliant, but as long as it is constant all over unlike the two toned paint I have at the moment.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BFG
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:58 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

cagiva gezzer wrote:
Another method you could try is Sanding the plastics with fine sandpaper and then blowing them all over with a hot air gun. The hot air will melt the top layer of plastic leaving a shiney as new finish.


Interesting! This sounds like a fair bit of skill will be required. Suggest practice on the undersides first?

And - watch out for petrol vapour - a hot air gun can easily ignite it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

TomC
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 17 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:58 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yer, I thought the same Confused

I will make sure I practice on the underside. We'll just have to see how it goes and hope.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:43 - 31 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never tried it myself, but a load of yanks with quads swear by it. Paint renovator does an excellent job, so it could be worth a shot first if you're not sure about the airgun.
____________________
"because one stroke isnt enough and four strokes waste two"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 186 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.62 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 59.32 Kb