|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Mr C |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mr C World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Feb 2003 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:50 - 27 Mar 2005 Post subject: whoops, totalled the 12 |
 |
|
Well first, the upside - here I am to tell the tale
What happened?
not a clue, all I can say is complacency probably played a part.
All I can remember is taking a fairly steady start, nailing it through the quarter and settling into the bubble as normal, rev out in 5th, glance down at the rev counter, change up, look up and fuuuuuuck I'm heading straight for the left hand checker board
these are new...
big fuck off black and yellow things so you can't miss them (har har)
so I think I'm further left than I am right so I'll go left and miss the timing gear all together - have you ever really tried to swerve a bike travelling at 180mph plus - it just doesn't happen, the bike slowly started to pull left but with only a couple of hundred yards to go, it wasn't going far enough
I hit the left hand checker board on the left hand side (yes, somehow I was THAT far off line - I can't explain it, I've done dozens and dozens of flyers at Elvington, why was I so far off line
now I dunno how fast I was going but it wasn't far to the redline in top on 18:43 gearing, so my guess would be high 180s to low 190s ...
I must have shut off instinctively but I don't remember braking as the guys said my ticket was 160mph at time of impact
I physically went through the board, must be 3 feet wide and 6(?) feet high, mounted on what I don't know, a steel frame, dunno..?? Apparently I also hit the battery and lights which were under the board
anyway there's this almighty bang and I'm convinced I must be off, if not at impact then very soon after
but no, miraculously the bike stays upright, the front is shaking violently but still upright
now given that the impact must have lost 20 or 30 mph I'm still travelling at 130 + with the front of the bike shaking wildly and the trees approaching rapidly ... so I think "hmmm... looks like this is gonna end rubber side down after all, better get the anchors on sharpish", pull the lever and - straight back to the bar
ARSE
so now I'm riding a quivering wreck of a bike at over 100mph with no front brakes
so I apply the rear and luckily (considering the rad is spewing it's guts all over the track) that's enough to bring me to a controlled stop right on the corner
phew
So I kick the sidestand down, slip into neural and hit the kill switch, calm as you like, sit for a moment and then get off to inspect the damage
WOW
the front of the bike is totalled, no plastics left at all, clocks hanging off, screen resting on the tank, faring sidepanels completely gone, headlights in bits, but worse...
the front wheel has a huge chunk missing and the right hand disc has been completely torn from the carrier and is hanging loose, the caliper has sheared off completely and is hanging by the lowering strap and brake line
then I notice a shard of plastic stuck in my leathers just above the elbow so I pull it and it comes out covered in blood ... luvly, no pain though, none at all
I've got me lid and gloves off by now but I don't notice that my middle finger is starting to swell - It's not broken but must have been saved by the hard knuckle on my glove which has a big scratch and a few fragments of yellow on it, as does my helmet
so that's it
I have no explanation for why I was so far off line, probably just a lack of concentration
just goes to show that what we do demands 100% concentration
PS and I did a test run as well to see if the track was dry enough and safe to run on, so I can't even say it was because the boards were new
PPS three stitches where the plastic shard penetrated me leathers just above the elbow, a swollen right middle finger and a scratch round me neck that looks like I've been garrotted
a very, very good day indeed  ____________________ 187.3bhp = 201mph |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 23:53 - 27 Mar 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Pics please Mr C!
Really glad to hear you are Okay, sounds like a nasty 'un!
Wise man he say "If you crash its not so bad if someone captures it on video!"
I hope the damage is not too expensive!  ____________________ British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TheShaggyDA |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TheShaggyDA Repost Police

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mr C |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mr C World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Feb 2003 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Gazdaman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Gazdaman I did a trackday!!!

Joined: 12 Aug 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mr C |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mr C World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Feb 2003 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:56 - 27 Mar 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| steveh |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 steveh World Chat Champion

Joined: 24 Aug 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| tokarev |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 tokarev World Chat Champion
Joined: 20 Jan 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 23:58 - 27 Mar 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Wow! That sounds really bad. It's good that your ok, going at that speed it could have been a lot worse.
At least you've got a cool story to tell in the pub!
Gonna put any pics up? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Robby |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Robby Dirty Old Man

Joined: 16 May 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Fruit'n'nut |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Fruit'n'nut Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 11 Feb 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 00:07 - 28 Mar 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Sounds like you were very lucky to get to a controlled stop, from your description of the damage to the wheel and brakes
Glad you're alright  ____________________ Power Ranger  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| tatters |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 tatters Exxon Valdez

Joined: 05 Jan 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 00:13 - 28 Mar 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Glad your ok, hope the bike is fixable
(with that cut on the neck you look like that guy of highlander ) ____________________ Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| yambabe |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 yambabe World Chat Champion

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 00:13 - 28 Mar 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
So glad to hear that the damage is minimal to you - poor bike though.
Take it easy eh? xx ____________________ Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Nighteyes |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Nighteyes Dirty Bint

Joined: 05 Aug 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 00:17 - 28 Mar 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Glad your ok........My hat goes off to you for keeping it together while going through that! ____________________ My Precioussss!, My Bikes, The Lord & Master, Canis Lupus!
39. Something nice about the person who sent this to you? She's beautiful, funny, and has a huge heart.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stevo as b4 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stevo as b4 World Chat Champion
Joined: 17 Jul 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 00:23 - 28 Mar 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Bad luck eh! Glad to hear your ok man! I cant imagine how much of an 'Oh shit' moment you must have had when you realised you had no brakes to speak of at that speed!
At least before the smash the 12R was doing the job it was designed/meant to do so well!  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| scottiel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 scottiel Trackday Trickster

Joined: 07 Feb 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Turbo Busa |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Turbo Busa Nova Slayer

Joined: 06 Sep 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 00:27 - 28 Mar 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Bollox, glad you're ok Dave  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| White Noise |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 White Noise Mr Dudwee

Joined: 17 Dec 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 00:37 - 28 Mar 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Sounds like a fucking nuts off! Glad to hear that you are well
How much is laundry bill going to be? triple figures
WN ____________________ Buy my wife: 96' Yam XJ600s (Diversion)
Wing Commander White Noise - SE Clique
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ..... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ..... Quote Me Happy
Joined: 15 Jan 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 00:43 - 28 Mar 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Unlucky mate - Done very well keeping it rubber down Please tell me someone there had a video camera
But hope the damage isn't too bad when you get to have a look.
What did people who saw the accident say? After it all had happened and they realised no harm done to you I bet they ripped the piss out of you for hitting a big yellow board  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 00:47 - 28 Mar 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Very nicely saved .
A lot more skill displayed than in your average drag race . |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dom |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dom World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 Sep 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 01:14 - 28 Mar 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Wow, I bet there aren't many people who can say they rode through a head on collision at 180, then came to a controlled stop, put the sidestand down and didn't end up in intensive care or worse.
Nice one.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Fortuna |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Fortuna World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Oct 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Kickstart |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Kickstart The Oracle

Joined: 04 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| divuk83 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 divuk83 World Chat Champion
Joined: 27 Nov 2003 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| california_rookie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 california_rookie World Chat Champion

Joined: 08 Aug 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 08:38 - 28 Mar 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bendy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bendy Mrs Sensible

Joined: 10 Jun 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 09:55 - 28 Mar 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Well held sir.
Glad you're alright.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 21 years, 189 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|