Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ireland trip

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Touring & Exploration by Korn (9 Nov 2005 - 18:47)
View previous topic : View next topic  

P
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:43 - 02 Apr 2005    Post subject: Ireland trip Reply with quote

Hello people....

I'm currently planning a 3 day trip round Ireland for later on this month. So far this is the provisional route:

Either Troon or Stranraer to Belfast then...

Belfast->Dublin->Waterford->Cork->Bantry Bay->Limerick-> Galway->Sligo->Belfast. Approximately 700 miles. Down the east coast and back up the west coast.

I'm more interested in seeing the countryside rather than the towns and cities. Especially the south west corner of Ireland.

Does anybody think this might be unachievable and am I trying to cram too much into 3 days? If anyone can suggest an alternative, better, route I'm all ears.

Any tips from anyone that's been round Ireland would also be helpful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 02 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't call Limerick stab city for nothing. Other places of interest may be the North Antrim Coast, Giants Causeway etc.

I have worked in Cork and it took us just under 7 hours to drive down in a Transit so I reckon you may be able to do that in 5, again Galway was a 5 hour drive from Belfast in a transit but I knew cars who were doing it in 3 and a half, so all in all it should be fairly achievable if you keep her lit.

On a serious note though, bring a carry out with you because in Dublin its a fiver a pint.

ginguar
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:41 - 02 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a lovely place, just remember that all the "A" roads are like B roads. Don't expect to be able to go very fast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:09 - 02 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the posts people.

Never thought of Limerick that way before!

So what about the mechanical side of the bike. I have a Scottoiler fitted so if I adjust the chain before I go do you think it'll need re-adjusting over there?

Anything else I need to be aware of?

Ta!

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 02 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful in the North but in the south the Garda don't really give a damn. I've seen a GSXR 600 filtering up the footpath before and the gards just looked at him. They won't stop you with a UK reg because it's too much paperwork for them and they have to have a genuine reason to stop someone down there. You are best sticking to the main roads if you can because the road surfaces deteriorate the further south you go.

Other things to watch out for are Eire drivers, they collect 6 Rice Krispies tokens and send 20p away for postage of thier driving license. Learners can drive unsupervised too. Beware.

RickHolt
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:35 - 02 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrchips wrote:

Other things to watch out for are Eire drivers, they collect 6 Rice Krispies tokens and send 20p away for postage of thier driving license. Learners can drive unsupervised too. Beware.

Shocked Shocked

I always wondered why people say insurance is so cheap over there. That's kind of scary.

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 02 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a car overtaking a car overtaking a car once. Shocked Laughing

madcyril
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:50 - 02 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On a serious note though, bring a carry out with you because in Dublin its a fiver a pint

I went to Dublin in november , i certainly don't remember it being 5 euro per pint more like 3.50 .

*was drinkin guiness tho*

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 02 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a few places charging 5 euro for a bottle of poof juice then e4.50 etc for a pint. Was at a bar at Temple Bar and in the downstairs it was e4.70 upstairs it was e5!

Motkram
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:28 - 02 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed about the price of beer^, five pounds????
Go to the ROI and northern ireland fairly regularly for work, the minor roads leave alot to be desired, and the standard of driving is poorer than blighty.
Keep your wits about you and you should be ok, some beautiful scenery about, and the people in the republic are really friendly.

GP125>GSF400>VFR400NC30>YZF600R>YZFR1(1998)+KLR250>YZFR1(2003)>CBR900RRY>YZFR1(2002)>GSXR1000K1+RGV250

P
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:36 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is going further south in Ireland like going further north in Scotland? Fewer shops, petrol stations, cash machines? Dodgy road surfaces?

Wouldn't mind passing through Dublin just to see what it's like. Wouldn't want to stay for any length of time though. Think I could squeeze this in?

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cousin lost a leg in a bike accident in Cork, lorry drivers fault.
This was some years a go.

Be careful, my wife is Irish and I visit a lot, the roads are dangerous
and of a poor quality.

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Ireland isn't as bad but the south is a bit of a dive.

Regarding beer, not 5 pounds 5 euros, which equates to about 3.50 still expensive for a pint!

Most in the south are friendly and helpful yes, unless you're in Limerick where you'll probably contract AIDS from a needle asking for directions.

P
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:26 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here was me thinking it was the north that was bad and the south was good!

Shows you what I know.

hugo-a-gogo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:33 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

road from cork city to bantry is a great trip, but surfaces aren't fantastic. most a roads are fairly wide and slower vehicles move right over to let you past. avoid cork and limerick town centres tho
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous."
Hunter S Thompson
clicky 4 bikey

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was working in Cork city centre a few months ago it has cracking night life though I wouldn't trust it. That has to be said though, going down in the van for work slow lorries are curtious enough to let you in.

I would highly recommend a bit of a rake round the noth too as there are some cracking roads.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:57 - 03 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Ireland two summers ago. We went to Donegal which is the strip of Eire immediatley to the west of northern ireland.

We went from Troon on a cheap four day return ticket. Easily made it from Edinburgh to the ferry then Belfast to Donegal in a day.

The roads in eire are a strange mix of what we would call a rough B road interspersed with stretches of "Eurosquandering". You can be riding along a piece of pristine, 3 lane wide tarmac when the road suddenly becomes a shitty piece of patched up stuff with no white lines and huge potholes. Five miles later you suddenly find yourself on new stuff again.

We had a great time, stayed in the Donegal Independant Hostel for nine quid a night. We went to the town square every morning t get bacon rolls and parked up the bikes. Without fail someone came up to us every morning and invited us to some sort of social event (ranging from a beach party to a thin lizzy tribute band).

It can be a bit like going round the North of Scotland as you say so remember to fuel up. Given the shit state of some of the roads (they can be good fun because of that though), it is worth at least taking enough tools to get the back wheel out, even if you don't need to tighten the chain (you shouldn't if you have a scotoiler) there is a chance you could pick up a puncture. That is always my minimum if I am touring, the ability to remove both wheels, you can always scrounge a lift to a tyre fitters (especially in Eire, the people are very friendly) but finding a van to take the whole bike can be a bit more tricky.

Oh, and plan your route. It still seems to be the height of wit in Eire to go out of an evening and turn roadsigns round. The old joke is also true in that if you ask for directions you will often get a reply along the lines of "Well, sure, I wouldn't start from here." or "Carry on this way then take the turd left after Jims house"..

P
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:38 - 04 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning to go at the end of this month. Anyone any ideas about what the weather mike be like over there? I've heard it pisses with rain allot this time of year.

And should I go taking in the weekend or do it during the week?

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 04 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weather is hit and miss but recently in the North we've had some quite decent days, Saturday was a corker.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 19 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1