Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ric
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 02:37 - 04 Apr 2005    Post subject: which tyres? Reply with quote

basically i got a massive screw in my rear tyre

Took it to kawasaki as a last resort due to time and every1 else beign busy

any way the good old kawa boys um'ed and ah'ed where it was ok and did it in the end,
the plug is well blatent and they said i should think about getting a new tyre

so ive done enough miles and im begining to get a bit nervy about it and want to have some tyres scrubbed in for the new weather

i have a 090 and 010 for the life of me i dont kno which is on the front/back (the wavey tread is front the angled tread rear)

So i am goin to get a new rear definately

shall i get a new front too?

whats the deal with mis-matched pairs etc

cheers

johnsilva
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:32 - 04 Apr 2005    Post subject: Mixing Tyres Reply with quote

Hi mate, don't worry about mixing tyres, as long as you dont change the size at all and dont mix x-ply with radial. You should be fine! Check ebay, there are usually some cheapo tyres for sale there.

I got an Avon Azaro on the rear and a Dunlop GPR on my front and the bike is great, although i wouldn't mind summink a bit more sticky on the front.

Hope this Helps

John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WishayKillie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:39 - 04 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Pireli Diablo's on my bike a standard and when my rear needed replaced I replaced it with a Pireli Diablo Corsa (softer compound I think). Never had and problems but suppose it's basically the same tyre Rolling Eyes .

personally I wouldnt mix different manufacturers tyres. But I know people who have and have never had a problem.

BTW the Diablo Corsa is an amazing tyre far more grip than my capabilities could take me Very Happy . Getting the matching front one today £88 + £30 fittment ouch (plus my K&N air filter and new front pads)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 12:42 - 04 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed from Dunlops to a Pirelli Dragon on the rear and a Metzler (something) on the front. I can thoroughly recommend them Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fire_Eyes
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:14 - 04 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

WishayKillie wrote:
I replaced it with a Pireli Diablo Corsa (softer compound I think). Never had and problems but suppose it's basically the same tyre Rolling Eyes .

I believe the Corsa are better than the normal Diablo tires. There is an even newer model, Diablo Super Corser (gay name I know) but a friend highly recommended them.

Jrod
Page 3 Girl

PostPosted: 13:19 - 04 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to no but I would. You will notice how nice the new tyres feel especially when you get a full set. IMO go for 010 on the front and 020 on the rear (or and 010 on the rear, it's up to you!)

I have 010 front and rear. Thumbs Up

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 14:02 - 04 Apr 2005    Post subject: Re: which tyres? Reply with quote

Ric wrote:
i have a 090 and 010 for the life of me i dont kno which is on the front/back (the wavey tread is front the angled tread rear)

Sounds like 090 front, 010 rear. I had that combination last summer on my nc30, worked quite well. I was suprised the front 090 outlasted the rear 010 by quite a margin, though. Eh?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:11 - 04 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Generally I would not be too worried about mixing tyres. For ultimate performance they probably will not be as good as a matched pair, but for general road use I have only had an issue once (with the RS with a Dunlop rear and a Michelin front).

Pirelli and Metzler are the same company, so quite possible that the tyres Anna has are essentially a matched pair.

All the best

Keith

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 14:13 - 04 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith's correct, the tread is even matched Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

cc123
Geez a joab?

PostPosted: 14:15 - 04 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've mixed my tyres and didn't notice any difference...
In fact I'd say the Dunlop I've got on the rear is grippier than the Avon.

Avon Azaro 49 on the front, Dunlop 207R on the rear.

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 04 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

WishayKillie wrote:
I had Pireli Diablo's on my bike a standard and when my rear needed replaced I replaced it with a Pireli Diablo Corsa (softer compound I think). Never had and problems but suppose it's basically the same tyre Rolling Eyes .

personally I wouldnt mix different manufacturers tyres. But I know people who have and have never had a problem.

BTW the Diablo Corsa is an amazing tyre far more grip than my capabilities could take me Very Happy . Getting the matching front one today £88 + £30 fittment ouch (plus my K&N air filter and new front pads)

£30 !!!!!! Shocked

cc123
Geez a joab?

PostPosted: 14:34 - 04 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme, is John H fitting your tyre?

Jrod
Page 3 Girl

PostPosted: 14:36 - 04 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

£30 ain't bad to fit front brake pads, air filter and tyre. Confused

£5 for pads
£5 for filter
£20 to fit trye (assuming it was still on the bike)

Although I get mine fitted free. Wink

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:39 - 04 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read it as £30 tyre fitting plus the others. Oh well Confused

WishayKillie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 04 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry It was

£15 tyre fittment

£10 Air filter Fitting

£10 Front Pads fitting

So £35 all in Very Happy not bad for labour charges

The Tyre was £88 Pireli Diablo Corsa 120/70 R17

Johnny GSX-R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:29 - 04 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i never mix tyres.

I had a set of Avon Azzaros AV45/46 and found them good in the dry but pants in the wet, i run Bridgestone 011e on the front & 010 on the rear of my BIRD and although they don't last too long they are a good stable tyre with plenty of adhesion.

david916
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 01:02 - 05 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is generally considered best to have matching pairs. Different tyres from different manufacturers will handle differently and also different types of tyres from the same manufacturer will affect the handling characteristics of a motorbike. Imagine a super sticky Metzeler Rennsport 160/60ZR 17 tyre on the rear (Fast and direct handling for very high performance riding on normal roads, for delayed braking and rapid direction changes with a compound deriving from racing experience for outstanding grip and very fast warm up: the slick-like behaviour allows fast cornering with very high safety margins) and a Metzeler MEZ4 120/60ZR 17 on the front (Outstanding mileage and even wear make this tyre a must for long-distance, enjoyable travelling!). These are realistic sizes for a 600cc machine. However, this mix will warm up and handle differently in both the wet and dry and wear will become significant on the rear compared to the front.
Personally, for both grip and longevity I have been impressed with both Pirelli Diablo's and more recently my Metzeler RoadTec Z6's (which are Sport-Touring radial tyres with outstanding performance in all weather conditions). I have the utmost confidence in these tyres, have got rid of the 'chicken strips' on them and have scraped the right footpeg of my Bandit 600S several times and the tyres are wearing very well. Very Happy Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Thumbs Up

Fruit'n'nut
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 01:06 - 05 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

WishayKillie wrote:
I had Pireli Diablo's on my bike a standard and when my rear needed replaced

What sort of mileage did you get out of the Diablos? And the Diablo Corsas? Question

I've got Diablos on my 600 now, after starting out with Pirelli Dragon Evos. I've coming up to 4,000 miles on the current pair of tyres and they still seem to be going strong - rear not noticeably square just yet.

Cheers.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 01:14 - 05 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of Bridgestone BT45's on my bike.

AND YES I HAVE GOT A NEW REAR TYRE FOR THOSE WHO DOUBTED ME (you know who you are)

WishayKillie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:47 - 05 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rear Pireli diablo lasted about 4500 miles of fast road riding with a couple of burn-outs Twisted Evil. Replaced with the diablo corsa

And my front diablo has just been replaced after 5200 miles with the Diablo Corsa.

So now i have a matching pair and I am looking forward to see how they perform Very Happy minus the burnouts which prob took about 600 miles off the rear Rolling Eyes

IMHO I would be hard pushed to replace with anything els. But if I do say go for the rennsports I would personally replace the front and rear if changing manufacturers

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 02:07 - 05 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

For outright grip you can't go wrong with a pair of 090's. A mate of mine on a cbr400 gets through a set in about 4k km though. It just depends how hard you ride the bike and your riding style.

Although i don't know much about 010's why is JonnyXX putting one on his rear of his blackbird yet people are also putting them on a 400??? Surely if they can take the abuse from a 1100cc 200kg+ bike then a 400 isn't going to warm them up that well.

david916
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 02:44 - 05 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dom_ wrote:
For outright grip you can't go wrong with a pair of 090's. A mate of mine on a cbr400 gets through a set in about 4k km though. It just depends how hard you ride the bike and your riding style.

Although i don't know much about 010's why is JonnyXX putting one on his rear of his blackbird yet people are also putting them on a 400??? Surely if they can take the abuse from a 1100cc 200kg+ bike then a 400 isn't going to warm them up that well.

The new BT-090 has been developed specifically for mid-sized sports machines (125-400cc) that are used on road or track.

The BT-010 apparently offers more grip without the loss of handling ; the new Battlax BT-010 is Bridgestone's answer to this perpetual challenge and has been developed for a much wider range of bikes. It was designed with the latest tyre developing technologies and the Battlax BT-010 leads the next generation Battlax line by pushing the perimeter of performance criterion - grip, handling, high-speed stability, wet performance, and balance.
The BT-010 tyre range is quite large to cater for a lot of bikes:
110/70 17 Front to 150/60 18 Rear ........ smallest
130/70 16 Front to 200/50 17 Rear ........ largest

Johnny GSX-R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:35 - 05 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
I have a pair of Bridgestone BT45's on my bike.

AND YES I HAVE GOT A NEW REAR TYRE FOR THOSE WHO DOUBTED ME (you know who you are)

Good boy 'DODSI' i shall put that marker pen away now. Shocked

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 09:42 - 05 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got Pirelli Dragons on mine. The rear only lasted 3000 miles though. I've replaced it and the front is still lasting. Have a spare one in the garage for when it does wear thin though. Good tyres. I'll get them again.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 11:14 - 05 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Good boy 'DODSI' i shall put that marker pen away now.

Thats easter weekend for you, couldnt get a new tyre in time.

Got one fitted on the thursday.

Oh and fitting, balancing, new valve and disposal was £9

All I did was take the bike too them and it came back with a new tyre.

£30 is a little steep no?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 25 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2