Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

GP

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Josh|RD125LC
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 10 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did Xaus end up?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bugsy46
Village Idiot

PostPosted: 22:54 - 10 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crashed at start
Rejoined
Entered Pits
Rejoined

Came last
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:23 - 10 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not true at all, these are not roadbikes. When they kick out 130db of noise, you are aware that theres a bike next to you.

I haven't had any experience of that sort of situation with 130db bikes I would admit.
However I would very much suspect that it is very hard to be able to tell where another 130db is over the sound of your own one, when you know there is this other one very close somewhere.
With the measly 105db that our bikes produce, watching the video after, I know I haven't realised that there was a bike next to me at all going into a corner (the other side in this case).

Quote:
If sete had taken that "tighter line" it would of been the DECENT racing line??!!! Rossi entered the gap that Sete left. Gibernau could of gone wider and pulled it in hard whilst rossi outbraked himself.

Sorry, by decent racing line I meant fastest line for thrack, ignoring other riders. Did think that saying 'racing line' may not be the best description.
If you stick right to the inside you're also inviting attack on the other side. His line was good enough to defend against attack because it was not possible to pass the other bike without colliding it seems.

Quote:
But hey, tough shit, he didnt. Not Rossi's fault.

I'm pretty sure the rules do apply in moto-gp as they do in other sports. It is the person trying to overtake's responsibility to get past safely. I do not see that Rossi did this.

Quote:
He did take the correct inside line??!!

Not for the speed he was going, that line didn't keep him to the corner, but meant that he would have been grass tracking if he hadn't hooked it back.

Quote:
This kind of attitude towards racing is exactly why our country doesnt have any potential GP champions anymore. There is no passion to win what so ever. How is taking someone on the last corner 'nastiness'.

Nastiness? Lets say Sete does the same thing to Rossi next time, but Rossi doesn't realise and sete ploughs straight into the side of his line. Rossi comes off, possible injured because Sete misjudged a corner. Now next time Rossi comes back and sits his bike up a bit midcorner on a fast corner, with Sete next to him.
This is why I said it could be nasty if it was intentional... grudge matches involving violence as such can't be a good thing in this sort of racing in my opinion.

This sort of attitude could see our upcoming GP champions getting killed before they get a chance to be champions.
I should note that a rookie rider in bemsee died at the last meeting. I feel glad that it sounded like he did die fulfilling a dream, but it's still sad none-the-less. Thus such thoughts may be more on top of my mind; for me it's a calculated risk and one I'm willing to take.

Have a look at some British club-racing. I've seen plenty of agressive manouvers, many much worse than this.
Infact I did something similar on the last chicane at Snetterton (we didn't actually collide; I did get in front of the other rider, but didn't turn in time). I did feel that I was at fault and apologised after. I do appreciate the stakes are massively higher in World class events (especially as mine was a fight for 21st place Smile ).

Quote:
Its being going on for decades. Obviously no one has heard of Schwantz and Rainey? Mick Doohan and Alex criville? As Steve Parish put it earlier, "this is bike racing not a bloody sewing contest". Quite bloody right,

I fully expect people to push the rules over and beyond the 'line' in any sport. Especially highly paid competitive sports like this.
However I don't see that it should absolve blame if they do go over that line.
I didn't say that I thought Rossi did it intentionally, I do think it was an accident. It was an accident he could have prevented, but the adrenaline and will to win are very easy clouds for the mind.

Quote:
If Sete had enough talent he would of anticipated Rossi's move, flung it wide, and pulled it in hard underneath him.

Are you suggesting that he should have known exactly how far behind him Rossi was? I'm not sure how he would be expected to work that out.

Anyone know why Rossi was sticking his foot out?

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 23:27 - 10 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he stuck his foot out as instinct.

If I enter a corner much too hot, I naturally stick my foot out, as a kind of stabiliser in case the front goes.

Don't know if this was the case or not.

Fantastic race, I was literally on the edge of my seat for the last lap, and I don't think sete going out was Rossi's fault particularly, it's all part of racing.

Gaz

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 23:28 - 10 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

He always seems to stick his foot out before a corner, think its his way of getting his toes on the end of the peg or something.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:31 - 10 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

He did it a few times before that, that I noticed.
I have saved some front wheel slides like that before, but never that leant over. [edit]and only stuck me foot out after I actually slid[/edit]
I would have thought a knee on the deck might be a better method of saving a slide

As an aside, if this sort of practice was considered 'acceptable', then I suspect we might see the same thing happening on every last corner, every race.
If you can't get past, you go in not being able to make the turn properly, but get inside and force the other person of the track.

Last edited by G on 23:34 - 10 Apr 2005; edited 1 time in total

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 23:31 - 10 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

? I think G means where he actually trailed his foot on the floor just before the last corner, where him and Gibernau had their little get together.

Gaz

Johnny GSX-R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fooks sake, i've watched it back 3 times, the guy is entitled to take his foot off when he likes, that bike was steaming and completely out of shape and ROSSI has gone further up in my book for having the sheer courage and front to carry out such a move. He won in a similar way at ASSEN. Mr. Green

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:33 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say he wasn't entitled to Confused. Was just wondering why out of cursiosity (never say no to some tips Razz ).

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:38 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't rossi ride crossers in the 'off' season?

Probably a reflex from his off-road experience as the bike was all out of shape and starting to slide, on a crosser you would put a foot down and slide it round the corner.

Johnny GSX-R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:45 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Doesn't rossi ride crossers in the 'off' season?

Probably a reflex from his off-road experience as the bike was all out of shape and starting to slide, on a crosser you would put a foot down and slide it round the corner.

Mine won't tip over as 1 of my bellies will prevent touchdown first.

"That Rossi wants to learn some manners and do his highway code on CD rom along with 'Hazzard perseption' then get himself a proper job instead of bullying that nice Spanish boy with the big nose." Middle Finger Mr. Green Middle Finger

slowbike smallpenis
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 04:13 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Re: GP Reply with quote

DukeRed wrote:
Wow! What a finish, shame Rossi won in the end though.

Why a shame -Sete is the biggest sook anyway - I bet he sits down to piss!

Rossi is a better rider by a long short kick - Sete is a big girls blouse IMHO

gauloises
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 05:13 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: GP Reply with quote

WOW. wot a race. Its amazing how rossi always slaps sete in the face right towards the end. ROSSI IS THE BEST

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:47 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Re: GP Reply with quote

slowbike smallpenis wrote:

Rossi is a better rider by a long short kick - Sete is a big girls blouse IMHO

Sete seemed pretty composed at the pace he was at.

Rossi on the other hand had to not only really push his bike, but push him self as well. In this case, this led to more mistakes than Sete.
Sete's bike generally stayed fairly level, while I saw the front and rear of rossi's bike moving in all directions.

I's a definite skill to keep a bike right on the edge of traction and to keep braking to the very last micro second. However it's not so good if you go past those limits a few times, when your oponent doesn't. Especially if you out brake yourself... that's how Sete got back past Rossi, because he wasn't accurately judging where to brake at the time.

Especially if that

kwaka
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:53 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The antagonism in this thread is nearly as good as the last lap yesterday.
Two riders at the peak of their skill controlling 250hp at 200mph within micro seconds of each other is a world where we dont even exist.
Was Rossi out of control? - probably.
Was 'that move' premeditated? - possibly.
Had the roles been reversed in the premeditated scenario - would Gibernau have done it? - I bet he would!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:06 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get all this. It is on video. Rossi had the inside line and they were level, cos when Gibernau hit him, he hit him full on in the side, not the front or the back. In this situation IMO it is Gibernau's duty to back off. Being a Moto GP race we all knew that that wasn't gonna happen and Gibernau went off after hitting Rossi. If Gibernau had backed off, then Rossi (debatably) would have gone off and Gibernau would have won. I say debatably because I don;t believe Rossi was running off the track.

cc123
Geez a joab?

PostPosted: 10:19 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHO CARES !!!!!

I was on the edge of my seat in amazement at the TV, tell me the last time that happened to any of you when watching an F1 race.........???? Confused

Exactly!

Great racing right at the end, some rubbing, a few overtakes...
Sete is upset but I don't see either riding complaining to the Moto GP officials about the move so sets up a great 2nd round at Estoril! Very Happy

bugsy46
Village Idiot

PostPosted: 10:48 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sete seemed pretty composed at the pace he was at

yeah, exactly why rossi beat him to the line

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 11:09 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed the actual race, just watched the highlights though and that was pretty amazing action. You could see Rossi wasn't going to let it go without a fight, I don't think he expected Gibernau to put up such a good challenge, both of them definitely got their money's worth of racing from each other.

In the end first across the finish line wins, all else be damned Razz

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been watching the last 2 laps again and again this morning at work Mr. Green.

Firstly, what an amazing end to a fantastic race. Really edge of the seat stuff and great for the sport Thumbs Up

As for the incident on the last corner - well, from what I can see it was always going to end in tears for one of them. We all know Rossi is a win or crash rider so full credit to him for going for that gap. I can't believe Sete didn't hold a defensive line on that last bend - he knew he'd have the engine for a drag race to the line.

As for blame, I'd say 50/50. These things always used to happen in the good ol' days of F1 - where two drivers legitimately went for the same piece of track at the same time. Unfortunately one person usually comes off worse which is a bit of tough luck in racing.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 11:12 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Re: GP Reply with quote

G wrote:
Sete seemed pretty composed at the pace he was at.

Rossi on the other hand had to not only really push his bike, but push him self as well. In this case, this led to more mistakes than Sete.
Sete's bike generally stayed fairly level, while I saw the front and rear of rossi's bike moving in all directions.

Exactly, Rossi's bike was notably slower so he had to push it harder, thus deserved to win. At the end of the day he was the fastest rider and wouldn't have been able to put a move on Sete in the first place if it wasn't for that.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^

Precisely, Rossi won because he was faster on a slower bike. Makes Gibernau look slow.

tintin
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:33 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the way poor old Ste made such a big deal about the way he had to hold his arm? For god's sake these guys fall off bikes at 100mph and jump up, does he really think he is fooling anyone that he hurt himself badly when they only banged together at about 30mph! I loved the look Rossi gave the camera when they were climbing up the stairs to the Rostrum and Ste had to stop to rest for a moment, brilliant.

"Did diddums hurt it when that nasty big boy Rossi bashed him, let Mummy have a look at it, I'll give you some Calpol and let you sit on the sofa with your comic until Daddy comes home and then you can tell him all about it"

Quotes:
Gibernau, “We set a really fast pace throughout the race and in the end I slowed down a little to see where Valentino’s strong points were. We pressured each other hard and in the end I have the peace of mind that I did everything I could and that in general we’re already at a high level at the first race."

"In the end I slowed down a little to see where Valentino’s strong points were".
Is he seriously trying to say he let Valentino through, come on!

Rossi - "It was a hard battle with Gibernau. He was very fast today and rode very well. I got in front with two laps to go but unfortunately I made a big mistake in the middle of the last lap on the braking and Gibernau got past," said the six-times world champion. "We passed each other again, we touched two or three times and then at the end I passed him at the last corner. For sure it was a hard move and for sure Sete is angry - but this is racing."

Personally I'm glad Rossi stuffed him on the last corner, it's all down to who has the biggest balls and that's racing. Rossi was a bit cocky at the presentation, but it's all about mindgames, he needs an enemy to focus on, it will also always mess with Ste's head.
If you want to see something really deliberate go back a few years to Cappirossi winning the 250 title in Rio (I think), when he really did knock off his one remaining rival in the last race of the season.

bugsy46
Village Idiot

PostPosted: 11:49 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick Doohan and Alex Criville Jerez 1996

https://www2.motogp.com/ppv_multimedia/67/67701.wmv?MOTOGRANDPRIXSESSID=ff1cf24d3598bb4d0d50bc67ff13ec8a

slightly similar although there was no contact. Check out all the fans gathered in the gravel!!!!! my god

Andy99
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:27 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the foot off the peg goes,Rossi did that every lap into the last corner and i've seen not just him but quite a few riders over the years do this.
Going into left handers they remove the foot from below the gear lever then replace it on the peg above the gear lever. Don't forget most GP riders have upside down gear boxes compared to road riders ie move lever up to go down the box,so going into a corner their toes will be under the lever in order to change down gear.

Just call me General Crazypaws.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 17 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5