Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

GP

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

johnsilva
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:42 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugsy46 wrote:
Mick Doohan and Alex Criville Jerez 1996

https://www2.motogp.com/ppv_multimedia/67/67701.wmv?MOTOGRANDPRIXSESSID=ff1cf24d3598bb4d0d50bc67ff13ec8a

slightly similar although there was no contact. Check out all the fans gathered in the gravel!!!!! my god

yeah, and when Mick came round on the slow down lap, the fans tried to kill him, cos they thot he knocked off Alex.

Nice one Vale!

John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayman
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:51 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Massive horn-factor in those last two laps. Don't know why theres this big hoo-har over the fairness of the rossi win. Fair play to them both.

cc123
Geez a joab?

PostPosted: 12:59 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah.....nice highside!!! Good post Bugsy.....
Doohan never touched him. That was crazy with those fans running to the track side! Shocked

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:40 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested to hear if people think that it should be considered ok to do this at other times?
It would definitely make for an exciting last corner, but should it be acceptable behavior?

To go into a corner too fast and not be able to get past other riders, or to be in a position that they will cause another rider to collide with them because the other rider does not know they are there?

I do agree that Rossi showed that he could push the bike more. However I wonder if people would be thinking differently if Rossi has crashed, or even crashed and taken Sete out.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 14:54 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect it might not have happened if it wasn't the last corner Razz

After all, a couple corners previous Sete was on the inside line as they clashed fairings/came very close. Was that acceptable? Should MotoGP be completely non-contact? Should it sway more towards an F1 style procession?

It's a slippery slope. Personally I prefer MotoGP Wink

Also I find it hard to believe Sete wasn't expecting Rossi to come down his inside on the final corner before the straight. It was the only option open to him.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 14:56 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching BTCC yesterday on TV it was at Donington Park and the cars are basically smashing each other all the time, it's great and exciting to watch and yesterday MotoGP was just as, if not more exciting. Very Happy
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jayman
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:59 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To go into a corner too fast and not be able to get past other riders, or to be in a position that they will cause another rider to collide with them because the other rider does not know they are there?

Er...i do think its acceptable as arguably it was Rossi who kept to the racing line and sete actually went wider meaning when he tried to correct his line, Rossi was already on the inside.

It makes for exciting racing, and i think forcing another rider to go wide is perfectly acceptable as it is a skill. A good rider can force others to move for him, and keep his position concealed so the other rider does not know where he is. In this way a skilled rider could make places easily. That sete was run off the track was unfortunate and its good that he was unhurt.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:04 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice wrote:

After all, a couple corners previous Sete was on the inside line as they clashed fairings/came very close. Was that acceptable? Should MotoGP be completely non-contact? Should it sway more towards an F1 style procession?

I tried to catch that again when it was replayed, but missed it.
I seem to recall thinking Sete was at fault in the previous incident.

I don't think moto-gp should turn into F1, but if this sort of thing was considered acceptable, the way I see it; to win a race you just leave it to the last corner if you're second.
You then come charging in way to hot and force the other person off the track.
In my opinion this would lead to very boring racing apart from the very last corner. The skill is in pushing the limits but staying right on them, whether it be the limits of traction or of the rules Smile.

Quote:
Also I find it hard to believe Sete wasn't expecting Rossi to come down his inside on the final corner before the straight. It was the only option open to him.

Stay to far to the inside and you invite attack on the outside, though it did seem he made a mistake there also. But it wasn't a big enough mistake to allow a 'legal' pass to be completed, so rossi had to break the rules to get past.
If Sete had kept a really tight line right the way up to the corner, then Rossi may have been able to do a similar manouver on the outside as he would have been able to take a much faster line around the corner.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the video again G. Rossi was neck & neck with Sete going into the turn when Sete adjusted (tightened) his line to attempt to block. That, IMHO, is the classic sign of a 50/50 incident.

Jayman
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:15 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with kris, sete realised what rossi was doing, whihc was a perfectly legas pass on ther inside, tried to correct his line resulting in the collision and him hitting the rough stuff.

Josh|RD125LC
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:00 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xaus was very poor, I don't know whats up with him. Struggles a lot in the 500 series, but a superb rider in superbike. Lovely last two laps, saw the race this morning on eurosport. Nakano did a good job, nice to see a kwak doing well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayman wrote:
i agree with kris, sete realised what rossi was doing, whihc was a perfectly legas pass on ther inside, tried to correct his line resulting in the collision and him hitting the rough stuff.

I agree. I reckon Sete realised Rossi on the inside and leaned in further to block him.

From the video it's easy to see that it was Sete who turned into Rossi.

That's why Rossi wins championships and Sete doesn't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Johnny GSX-R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh|RD125LC wrote:
Xaus was very poor, I don't know whats up with him. Struggles a lot in the 500 series, but a superb rider in superbike.

What 500 series Question Confused

tater
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:40 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont understand how sete could be at fault he was in the lead and was taking the racing line, the gap up the inside did seem large but if you actual look at the sereval videos clips eg apriliaforums you can see that sete line makes him come into the cerb, i was a last ditch attempt/dive at overtaking sete.

I dont have a problem with contact, i race mx and there is plently of bar bashing compared to road bikes but there is a line between fighting for a line and pushing someone off the track and possibly making them crash.

I think the issue is not that rossi made a mistake and hit sete its that he deliberaltey keep pushing sete till he was off the track, if rossi had just kept turning on his supposed line sete would not of ended up in the gravel which there was no need for him to be pushed that far.

Its more what rossi did after the contact that pisses me off!

and for all the people that are saying stop moaning to sete he had practicaly won the race when another ride pushes him off the track then rubs his nose in it, if it was me rossi would be out for about 2 months with a broken jaw.

bugsy46
Village Idiot

PostPosted: 17:41 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Josh|RD125LC wrote:
Xaus was very poor, I don't know whats up with him. Struggles a lot in the 500 series, but a superb rider in superbike.

I think he means the 9 stroke 670cc series after the 3rd rule change Shocked

Wink huh?? Wink
bugsy46 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

tater
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:49 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes someones alittle touchy about rossi, rossi was in the wrong plain and simple so come out from brown nosing rossi and realise the truth and think of a more constructive comment Middle Finger

bugsy46
Village Idiot

PostPosted: 17:55 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Its more what rossi did after the contact that pisses me off!

what was that?

tater
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:03 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that after contact instead of letting off he continued to run wider and wider right against sete till he had to sit it up and go onto the grass, the blatant rubbing setes nose in the fact that he had forced him off the track and not regretting the contact.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:28 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Look at the video again G. Rossi was neck & neck with Sete going into the turn when Sete adjusted (tightened) his line to attempt to block.

'Neck and Neck'; depending on the angle it looked like Rossi was either level with or slightly behind when they collided.

This does not constitute a clean pass. If he had been half a bike length in front, it might have been different, although still not that a clean a pass.

As it was, it was not a clean pass, because they were next to each other. The rider attempting to overtake did not manage to do so cleanly or safely.

Sete's line would naturally Apex at the curb; at this level I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be slopy enough to miss the curb completely.
I'm sure Rossi knew this as well.

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think this thread should be closed now Laughing

Rossi won, Sete lost - not like it was a title winning race so get over it.
bugsy46 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Flame). Unhide this post / all posts.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:24 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

As that jibe was directed at me, could you answer the question I posed earlier?

Quote:
I would be interested to hear if people think that it should be considered ok to do this at other times?
It would definitely make for an exciting last corner, but should it be acceptable behavior?

Is there anything wrong with people doing a manouver like this every race?

For the record, I don't 'Support' either rider. I watch racing because I appreciate the skill and the 'Art' that is way above anything I will ever achieve. As with most other sports I don't 'support' any side, unless I'm feeling particularly emotional Smile.

Hennessy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:40 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree with G, I suppose it would be intentional if this move occured in every race... As we've sorta clarified that most ppl think that what happened is ok to do? And that it was just an incident and not a monouver to try and elude one from a race.

Furthermore, I love this sport because of the "skill" and "art" that makes this sport what it is! I believe Rossi is an amazing rider and has so much talent to offer, yet if he commited this monouver more than once in a race, would it be reasonable? Does every rider need to think like this to head for the finish line first?

-Hennessy

bugsy46
Village Idiot

PostPosted: 23:17 - 11 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reference to G's question..........................

At the end of the day it was a racing incident, nothing more, nothing less. Its something that rarely happens in motogp. Rossi has taken people on the last lap MANY times before with no problems what so ever. If it was such a big deal Sete's team would have appealed against it. Ask yourself this G....................

How many times has this debate sparked up concerning Valentino in the past 5 years?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 36 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5