Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


MarJay's Evil Plan Part 1: Clip on catastrophe!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:42 - 06 Apr 2005    Post subject: MarJay's Evil Plan Part 1: Clip on catastrophe! Reply with quote

Hi y'all.

After a fitful and maddened conversation in IRC, I decided to post a log of my eevil plan.

It all started when I began to think about the riding position on the Daytona. I was riding back from lydden practicing my body positioning for hanging off of the bike when I realised that my Knee down issues may be related to the bike's riding position.

The tank on the Daytona is very wide and so I am unable to hang off to the right because my left knee is stuck behind the left side of the tank. I realised that this was not a problem of the tank, but a problem with me sitting too far forward on the bike. I tried to sit further back in the seat, but was unable to do so. This was because I am on the small side (as many of you know).

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=14454

The clip ons are such a stretch from the seat that I have to sit on the very front edge of it in order to ride.

If I could move my bars back slightly, then perhaps I would be able to hang off sufficiently to be able to GMKD.

As you can see, the Daytona clip ons are made in two pieces. This is very convenient. Other '97 -'99 Daytona owners on T595.net have tried a similar modifications, but I have been unable to find any clear pictures.
Here is what my clip ons look like now:
https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=14453

There are a couple of possible configurations that I am looking at. One is simply to swap the Brackets labelled A.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=14452

This image shows my bikes bars on full lock. I would like to try to position the brackets on their respective sides, except at the bottom of the top yoke rather than at the top as in this illustration, to put the bars more into a position labelled B.

Being that the bars would be at full lock in that photo, I am sure that the bracket would fit in the gap between the top yoke and the tank. I have measured and it should leave a few MM of clearance. The bars will be angled straight (as long as the brackets fit like that) so I would have no trouble with trapped thumbs etc.

I suspect that I will find I cannot acomplish this due to clearances or whatever, but its an interesting thought nonetheless.

The first configuration I mentioned definitley works, and that is to swap left and right brackets so that the clip ons point upwards instead of downwards... this looks OK but does not really achieve what I am looking for.

If I can't do either of these, then I will either have to shell out £200 for some LSL risers, or GMKD on the TT600 Very Happy !

So.... am I mad? Smile
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wave2k
G's Stalker



Joined: 06 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:15 - 06 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i looked at pics of other people doing KD
i tried to hang off the bike more aswell as
getting my arse lower down the bike
BINGO a planted knee down
____________________
Ducati 1299 Panigale
2009 Corvette C6 z51
RS125->CBR400->RXS100->GSXR750K2->Ducati749S->CBR600RR5->TL1000R->DRz400->RSVR1000->Honda VTR SP1->CBR400->GSXR1000K6->Honda H100->CBR600RR3->Ducati1299
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

R4nger
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:07 - 07 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eat some spinach Razz Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:58 - 07 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it'll make the right bar further away and thus transfer the problem to the left hand side.

Just lean the damn thing further, your peg's not on the floor yet!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:39 - 07 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure your actually hanging off correctly.

You need to rotate your hips around the tank, rather than just shift sideways.
Hang off, and try to kiss the mirror, and stick that knee right out.

Helps aswell if you can see pics of yourself doing it!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:59 - 07 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at these:
https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=14584

Here I am in bar reach position on the Daytona. As you can see the wide tank prevents me from hanging off easily.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=14583

Here I am in bar reach position on the TT. As you can see I can hang off much more easily because of the higher bars and narrow tank. Here my knee would be sticking out a lot further, only there is a Daytona preventing it from doing so! Smile
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man



Joined: 21 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:03 - 07 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=154875547

jobbed. Laughing
____________________
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:07 - 08 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a problem with the bars, I think you need to move your left leg away from the tank.

Take note of my pic, it looks like I'm hanging off both sides, but you end kinda with your leg over the seat, allowing you to hang off much more.

And I agree, you could lean the bike more, my pegs touch down first.

Gaz

https://www.gaz-racing.co.uk/bike/Toe-down.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:45 - 09 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the bar thing didn't work. The brake master cylinder would need moving somewhere... which would be near impossible.

Gazdaman,

In your pic you are hardly leaning forward on the bike. You can move back far enough in the seat to slide off of it wthout the tank getting in the way.

I'm stretched clear across my bike and can't move my arse further back in the seat... hence I can't move my hips around the tank enough to hang off properly.

I believe that on my TT600 it will be easier, we shall just have to wait and see!
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:52 - 09 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your top picture all you need to do is slide you bum off a bit more and push your knee out/down, you dont need to get the bike over any further.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=14454

Bike at same angle..

https://www.penson.dabsol.co.uk/sponge/images/knee_down_2.jpg
____________________
Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino



Joined: 31 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:36 - 10 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you buy some normal risers it will bring the bars up and a little closer. Or you could just hang off and stop making excuses Razz
____________________
Back on a Blade. Just feels so right.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stew
If it's good enough for top race teams...



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:29 - 12 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will be able to do it Marjay, just need to get yourself into a position that you feel comfortable with. After all little Capirossi manages on what is probably the biggest MotoGP bike in the series. Cool
https://www.ducati.com/docs_eng/downloads/wallpaper/gp4/36_800.jpg
____________________
"Unlike public school you don't need to have your arse up and your head down to go a long way...."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 182 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 1.82 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 77.79 Kb