Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Import NSR 125 RR's

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

scabzilla
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:18 - 31 Mar 2002    Post subject: Import NSR 125 RR's Reply with quote

Hey guys, im thinking of importing a Honda NSR 125RR or An NSR 125R, does any one know if there are any REAL changes between the two models ??? Plus does anyone have any suggestions for dealers with cheap imports. Cheers Guys !!

Last edited by scabzilla on 19:41 - 01 Apr 2002; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:35 - 31 Mar 2002    Post subject: don't Reply with quote

DON'T GET A IMPORT!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 23:40 - 31 Mar 2002    Post subject: IMPORTS Reply with quote

This is so true, don't touch em with a bargepole. If you think about there is little point. You buy one cheaper, its resale value is less. So you don't save a deal in the long run. Oh then there's the fact that your mate on the exact same bike but UK model has had his derestricted and leaves you everytime, and you're eatin his dust with a nice 12bhp cos nobody can find the restrictors in your imported bike.

I think i've made my point....

Dan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:49 - 31 Mar 2002    Post subject: IMPORTS Reply with quote

scoobysnacks wrote:

This is so true, don't touch em with a bargepole. If you think about there is little point. You buy one cheaper, its resale value is less. So you don't save a deal in the long run. Oh then there's the fact that your mate on the exact same bike but UK model has had his derestricted and leaves you everytime, and you're eatin his dust with a nice 12bhp cos nobody can find the restrictors in your imported bike.

I think i've made my point....

quite the know all

scabzilla
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:47 - 01 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

But an import is £3000, and a Uk bike is £3900 !!!! and with insurance, i think i'll bankrupt myself. I gave the dealer a bell earlier, and he said he will derestrict it for me in the 3k charge, what bout that, sound ne better ????

Phil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 01 Apr 2002    Post subject: imort of uk Reply with quote

Scabzilla, not to sound too patronising but people on here tend to know what there talking about when it comes to NSRs and you wont find many people that think its a good idea to buy an import.

Your dealer just wants to sell you a bike and get his commision there, majority of imports are twats to de-restrict and require a new cdi and RC servo if memory servers me right.

If you do your homework you can pick a new Uk NSR for about £3,200.

Then theres the clocks and the resale value...

I think dan said it best
DONT GET AN IMPORT!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

scabzilla
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:10 - 01 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

i looked and the cheapest i can pick up a Uk NSR for is £3700, which in my view aint a REAL DEAL. You have any suggestions on where i can pick up a cheap new NSR125 UK model (2002) ANYBODY ???

Phil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 01 Apr 2002    Post subject: cheap nsr Reply with quote

Big dealers can offer you the best prices normally but thats all there good for. I bought mine from Carnells for £3,350..Them deals are out there, just gotta make alot of phone calls and twist alot of dealers arms
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 17:22 - 01 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sales people are generally SCUM, and are out there to talk out of their arses to make the sale (do I sound bitter? :-? ...I'm not referring to my NSR purchase though :P )

...anyway, for stuff like this (anything over a grand in value), it's best to take someone else along with you, and don't be afraid to haggle...also, try to visit other dealers and get quotes from them, I managed to knock off the "on the road" value (about £250) after only about 30 seconds conversation!...but I went somewhere else, told them about the quote that I got, and then got a bigger discount!

Sales "people" want their commission at the end of the day, so they are at your mercy...

Tin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dylan
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:35 - 01 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all imports are bad, some, especially from itally as some arnt restricted.(back me up on this keith). But from germany they have alll sorts of things to keep the power down. If u do buy an import and they say its restricted, make sure you get a certificate saying that its restricted, and make sure you have a letter saying that theyll derestrict it for you, for free and to how many bhp.
When i bought my bike 'restrcted' i was quite suprised when it hit 95mph. Cant trust dealers.
Dyl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 20:55 - 01 Apr 2002    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

its great having you guys hear to tell us newbs this kind of thing

how can you tell if its an import if they dont tell you?

Phil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 01 Apr 2002    Post subject: import spotting Reply with quote

The most obvious thing to spot an import is the clocks, aside from that there isn't many obvious things. An Import shouldn't have a official honda serice book. If you look at the registration document it shouldn't be an RR.

If your still not sure after all that, get the person your buying the bike off to sign a declaration stating the bike is from the uk and no where else. I'd check their signature against their credit card too but thats just me being paranoid.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:44 - 01 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dylan wrote:

Not all imports are bad, some, especially from itally as some arnt restricted.(back me up on this keith). But from germany they have alll sorts of things to keep the power down. If u do buy an import and they say its restricted, make sure you get a certificate saying that its restricted, and make sure you have a letter saying that theyll derestrict it for you, for free and to how many bhp.

Hi

Think Italian market bikes are now restricted to 15hp, but that is fairly recent. 2nd hand Italian imports are likely to be full power, but may have been restricted by the dealers that imported them (and how they do it is up to them).

Note that if you buy an import bike it may not have the correct frame stickers to say it is restricted. If you try doing you test on it the examiner may want to see that sticker, or failing that they will want a "certificate of import restriction".

German market bikes were commonly quoted as 27hp, mainly for insurance and licence reasons.

All the best

Keith

scabzilla
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:46 - 01 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers everyone for helping me out, any more info jus add it on thnx again

Dan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:29 - 01 Apr 2002    Post subject: 1 Reply with quote

scabzilla why do u have to buy new u can pick up very good 2nd hand ones. i can't remember who was selling there for £2500 on here sounded like a very good deal

retrofly
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:38 - 02 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
Fuck why couldn't someone tell me that before i bought my import, i think mines higher than 12 bhp, but its deffinatly not 33.
Go thorough again what you need to drestrict an import and how much would it cost

Luke

taz110776
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:21 - 02 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D hi
i got my 2002 nsr125r from taz motorcycles for 2995 and its a import but it comes of the same line as a uk spec so its the same as all uk bikes except the clocks

Phil.S
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 08:54 - 02 Apr 2002    Post subject: nsr Reply with quote

Really i know imports are cheaper but will cost u a lot more in the end.
i am selling my 2001 uk for £2,800 if your interested.
otherwise you can get a 2002 for £3,200ish all u have to to is be prepared
to spend an hour or so haggling.
if you get it on finance then they can discount it more hence the £3,200.
just read some of the older posts and you will see some of the import problems people are having.

hopoffbaby
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:16 - 02 Apr 2002    Post subject: . Reply with quote

what kind of tequnequies did u use when trying to get the price down? eg what did u say at first to get onto tghe topic of haggling?

Phil.S
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:28 - 02 Apr 2002    Post subject: haggling Reply with quote

i actually said that their website was advertising them at £3,200
even though it wasn't and they actually had to check.
also i told them that Tony Moto was advertising them at £2999 even though they are imports the sales guys didn't know that .
so then it was a case of them going to and from their sales manager
until they got it down to £3,200 then i gave them £200 and that was that.
i went on finance as they can discount it more that way.
so i was going on that i wanted to get the monthly repayments down etc.
it took at least an hour or so but i got there in the end.
take some advertisements with you and they should'nt put up too much resistance.

Phil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 02 Apr 2002    Post subject: sales men Reply with quote

I bought my bike from the same place as phil, Carnells in stockport. At the time they had a 'we can beat any price' thing on. I found a dealer selling NSRs at £3,400 so i went down with that and they offered me £3,350. I was happy enough with that and took it.

Phil must be better at it than me though cause he got an extra 150 off.

You not at all interested in phils bike scabz, good price for a 2,000 mile bike.

scabzilla
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:42 - 02 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested, but i would rather a new bike as i will be keeping it for around 2yrs. Plus then you get the warrenty and stuff like that.... SO i'm still ringing dealers and looking throught mags to fing some good deals....

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:07 - 02 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'd go for the second hand bike... to start with you don't have to do the 1000 mile running in period, the warranty should still be in force (depending how long they last, my ZX came with just over a year left on the warranty). The extra miles probably won't *that* significantly effect the price when you come to sell it in a coupla years and have added loads more on.

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 17:44 - 02 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all too easy to tell someone to buy second hand, but having a new bike is different...it's new... Razz

I bought mine new, but that's mainly 'cos it's my first bike...I'll probably search the bikemart a little more for my next bike...

Having said that, Phil's bike sounds like a good deal, and you can always harass him on this forum if you have any problems with it!

Tin

scabzilla
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:56 - 02 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="tin"]
It's all too easy to tell someone to buy second hand, but having a new bike is different...it's new... :P

This is exactly right :D
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 30 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2