Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Supermoto My DT - Worth doing? What's needed?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Section59
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:05 - 15 Apr 2005    Post subject: Supermoto My DT - Worth doing? What's needed? Reply with quote

Basically i would like to know if it is worth me spending some cash SM'ing my current 03 DT 125, or should i leave it as it is, wait untill i can ride bigger bikes and get a new (Bigger CC) Supermoto instead.

Im 19, so even if i did my full test i would still be restriced to 33bhp no matter what bike i get for 2 years, im after a supermoto, but all seem to be large CC's, the only small CC's i have seen is the new DT-X and the Aprillia (MZ?), but i had to buy 2nd hand so those were out of the question.

I paid £900 for my 03 DT 125 with 1578 miles on the clock, and has'nt been ragged all over (Owner rode it to his work place and back, 5 mins away from his house and it never saw mud in its life until i got it.)

Im after converting it because im mainly riding it on the road and doing city traffic, the current tires on it are shit and i know i could just change the tires, but its just not the same as a full on Supermoto.

How much would converting it (wheels, tires.... anything else?.) set me back?

I have read the other threads, but none gave any usefull info at all.
Neutral

(edit) I know, i could have just got a street bike to start off with, but if i do convert it, i will still have the original parts incase i feel like going mud-plugging on the weekends (After wrapping the wheels in some better knobblies first that is. Wink )

Cheer's for any info/help people
Looney Mr. Green Karma

Last edited by Section59 on 10:14 - 15 Apr 2005; edited 1 time in total

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:14 - 15 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends how you much you want to spend, like anything really. The wheels alone could be as much as £1100 or as little as £80 (off E-bay). Other than wheels and tyres, you could modify the shocks for the road if need be, maybe change the gearing for top end rather than acceleration. If you want an easily swoppable machine, just change the wheels and tyres.

Section59
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:24 - 15 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as its only a 125, i dont think i'll be spending £1100 just for some wheel's, but i do want quality.

What wheel's will go straight on, any special make i need to look out for?

About adjusting the suspension - As far as i know, the front forks of the DT are non-adjustable, so that means they'll need to be stripped, which = more money to pay out to get someone to do it for me. Sad

Im a Light short arsed person though (About 8/9 stone, and around 5 ft 6/7 - Don't laugh. Middle Finger Mr. Green Middle Finger ), so i think i might get away with it standard. Neutral

Liverpoolrobb...
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:51 - 15 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

where can i get a cheap SM 4T possible for about 1k 125cc?

dont want it blowing up on me and need something pushing more than 12BHP if poss

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 15 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about the forks, that was only if you were only going to use it only on the road. Search around for some wheels, check E-bay etc.

As for the 4t supermoto, I can only recommend the MZ I've got. You can get a very good 2001 model with the dual overhead cam, 15 HP and 10lb/ft (one of the, if not the most powerful mass produced 4t 125 motors in the world) motor for about £900. Or you could try to find a slightly scruffy condition later model for around the same price. They look great and the brakes are awesome on them, though the suspension is very soft, but you can adjust the rear preload to compensate. They also have a sweet 6 speed box in them.

Just tried to find one, they look quite rare. Only found 2 so far, both were over 2 grand, one new and the other had only covered 110 miles. Neutral On the brighter side, there are tuning parts to get a load more power out of it Mr. Green

Liverpoolrobb...
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:05 - 15 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

who makes the mz?

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 15 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, It is an MZ SM 125, made by MZ, a German company. Hence the reason it is pretty robust, it is the one in my avatar.

A pic (of a 2003 model), so you know what to look out for. Mine is missing a nose fairing and headlight, though I have got the headlight now. Parts are not a problem, as BSA Regal imports them.

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 15 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would wheels off a 125 sports bike would be a sensible option? I guess they would fit or could be easily made to fit.

I have a pair off an NSR with new tyres by the way Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Liverpoolrobb...
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:21 - 15 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much are they brand new?? or what insurence group are they?

anywhere in liverpool do them? or chester?

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 15 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brand new they are about £2700 insurance group 5. Don't know about dealerships. Check your yellow pages or something. Do you like them?

Liverpoolrobb...
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:38 - 15 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a decent SM mate i want!

Smoto Bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 15 Apr 2005    Post subject: Re: Supermoto My DT - Worth doing? What's needed? Reply with quote

Looney wrote:

I paid £900 for my 03 DT 125 with 1578 miles on the clock, and has'nt been ragged all over (Owner rode it to his work place and back, 5 mins away from his house and it never saw mud in its life until i got it.

You biaattccchhhhhhhh Evil or Very Mad anyway evny aside :p if you want cheap then tzr wheels are the way to go, i made some rs125 spacers for the front and the back would fit never got around to sorting it out

RE-rimming is stupidly £££ but you can pick up old dt125 wheels off ebay for like £10 depends how supermoto you want to look sticky decnet wide road tyre on the original rear rim will still be FAR to grippy for a 125
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Section59
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:59 - 15 Apr 2005    Post subject: Re: Supermoto My DT - Worth doing? What's needed? Reply with quote

Smoto Bob wrote:

You biaattccchhhhhhhh Evil or Very Mad anyway evny aside :p

Does that mean i got a good deal then? .... Laughing Cool Twisted Evil

Smoto Bob wrote:
If you want cheap then tzr wheels are the way to go, i made some rs125 spacers for the front and the back would fit never got around to sorting it out

RE-rimming is stupidly £££ but you can pick up old dt125 wheels off ebay for like £10 depends how supermoto you want to look sticky decnet wide road tyre on the original rear rim will still be FAR to grippy for a 125

Hmm, im not too fond of the look of those rim's in the pic, im after some spoked one's TBH - I have looked around but have'nt found any that will go on the DT yet. Sad

I see the prices for some wheels are going to be around the 400/500 mark, but if i can find a 2nd hand pair im sure i would get them half the price, maybe with tires already on aswell.

Now to just find some that will fit the DT, and then find someone who's selling some... Neutral

Smoto Bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 15 Apr 2005    Post subject: wheels Reply with quote

i have seen one pair on ebay that went for £150 bargin i thought but any spokys that are gogin to fit will be rare as...... welll mine Laughing

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:32 - 15 Apr 2005    Post subject: Re: Supermoto My DT - Worth doing? What's needed? Reply with quote

As ben said, little point getting different wheels on the 125 for extra grip.

Even on my dr600 (the trail one) the mx-sized road rubber allowed knee down and a fair bit more!
It's only when you're getting to stupid power that you actually need the road sized wheels.

Of course if you're doing it for the looks; well, go for whatever you think looks best.

An upgraded front brake and maybe stiffer suspension could well be worth a look; though Dusty's DT seemed to have a pretty good front brake.

weasel
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:16 - 15 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know what sort of speed that you could get out of one of them MZ 125 Sm's?? I was always told that the MZ was like the 'Skoda' of the bike world, but i dont care, because that bike looks awesome!
It seems that just like skoda, MZ have turned things around!

tsmith
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:08 - 16 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought about a Yamaha TDR125? You might be able to find a low milage minter somewhere. It's uses the same 2stroke engine like the DT, but in a steel deltabox frame.

Pic here
https://www.hh-motorraeder.de/125_er/Gebrauchte125/tdr125-697-b1.jpg

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:58 - 16 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasel wrote:
Do you know what sort of speed that you could get out of one of them MZ 125 Sm's?? I was always told that the MZ was like the 'Skoda' of the bike world, but i dont care, because that bike looks awesome!
It seems that just like skoda, MZ have turned things around!

Yeah, it is a similar sort of thing. The MZ SM 125 is the skoda octavia RS of the 4t 125 world. It'll maintain 75 on the flat and people have reported upto 85 when slipstreaming cars/trucks.

weasel
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:55 - 16 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you say that you had an MZ sm125 for sale??
How much, and where abouts are you?? I want one!!!
I looked on Ebay, but couldnt find any Crying or Very sad

weasel
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:59 - 16 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasel
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:02 - 16 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:01 - 16 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, mines not for sale. Razz

Took bloody long enough finding one. I was lucky though, when I checked on e-bay and found 3 of them on at the same time. There are 2 on auto trader at the moment. I got mine for £600 as it was in poor nick. Your best bet would be to go to www.BSA-Regal.co.uk
and click on the MZ badge then dealerships, it'll give you a list of dealers stocking MZ, pick the closest one to you and go and have a sit on one, if you are lucky they may even have a second hand one.

Smoto Bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:16 - 16 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liverpoolrobbie wrote:
dont want it blowing up on me and need something pushing more than 12BHP if poss

Why do people seem to think 2 strokes blow up?? my dt125 went 36k miles on stock engine parts and then only cost £100 for rebuild. That was with a STUPID race pipe and sitting at 10k revs for teh last 6k miles Confused (admittedly i replaced about 50 speedo cables and 50 other frame parts lol)

so......
Why on earth would you want a 4 stroke 125 supermoto Question

tomsmith wrote:
Thought about a Yamaha TDR125? You might be able to find a low milage minter somewhere. It's uses the same 2stroke engine like the DT, but in a steel deltabox frame.

Pic here

My bike is the earlyer TDR, comes with teh same (ish) dt style frame and if you can spot a 1991-3 "light burner" you get the spoked wheels too Cool
https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/ben_015s.jpg

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 13:29 - 16 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.yamaha-motor.co.uk/Images/2005_DT125X_Photo_01_tcm46

or just buy one of these?

The DT 125 X

Marc_Buck
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 14:07 - 16 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob your DT looks sweet with those wheels, if only the bike was a little cleaner. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 16 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2