Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Rockingham Trackday Report and Pictures

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 17 Apr 2005    Post subject: Rockingham Trackday Report and Pictures Reply with quote

My third trackday of the year was today at Rockingham, on the international circuit which uses part of the Indy Car oval circuit for which the track is predominantly used.

We arrived at about 7:30am and were very impressed. The circuit is only about four years old and was built at a cost of £50m+. The facilities here are superb (as you would expect from such a new circuit) but what really grabs your attention are the stands. None of this "We'll whack up a couple of small grandstands on the straight and everyone else can stand on a hill", Rockingham has some very big stands that must seat thousands. The whole idea is that you can see the entire track.

Anyway the track itself is different from most others, if for no other reason than you run around about a quarter of the oval - great for getting some speed down but very disconcerting when your enter and leave the oval section. There is a change in camber as you leave the flat in-field section and hit the oval (and vice versa as you leave it) which takes a bit of getting used to. I ended up being able to get my left knee down entering the oval, but a rear wheel slide after lunch convinced me to take it easier! Laughing

The infield section consists of some very nice sweeping bends (mostly left as the track runs anti-clockwise) and a couple of tighter hairpins. It's pretty easy to learn and I was flying round by lunch. And for people who have no-where to practice left hand knee downs - there are plenty.

Weather was fantastic, apart from when we got in the car to drive home when it rained - so what! Result Thumbs Up

Anyway, due to 100% Bikes' offer, having paid for this day I now get a free day on the National circuit (minus the oval) in July Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

I've attached a couple of pictures from my trusty photographer (Northernlass!) and once I've sifted through the footage from my new bullet cam I'll post some of that (including my slide, if it looks anywhere near as dramatic as it felt Laughing )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cc123
Geez a joab?

PostPosted: 11:11 - 18 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't look too busy, whole track to yourself!?

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 18 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite - there were about 15-20 riders in our group! It's just my choice of pictures to post that makes it look like that.

EDIT: Sorted the pictures and added some of the best ones to my site here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Zoffo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:28 - 18 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics. That must be a hell of a fast shutter speed on the camera. Can see every tread on your rear.

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 19 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoffo wrote:
Nice pics. That must be a hell of a fast shutter speed on the camera. Can see every tread on your rear.

That one was at 1/1600 sec. which, from memory, is as fast the camera goes.

simon1221
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 19 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live like round the corner almost from rockingham and only been once.

Track looks good, huge car park at the back.

Dont go riding your bike in the nearby town, might not see it again.

hustler
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:47 - 19 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pic's look like you're really getting into it!

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 19 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onboard video from the day:
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=47212

Go easy on me - it's my first onboard vid and I'm still learning how to use Adobe Premiere although I think it's come out alright Thumbs Up

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:49 - 26 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the "official" photographer pictures back today (which I had decided on as Jeanette wasn't allowed into most of the circuit). As it happens, most of hers were on a par or better anyway! Anyway, here's the best two which I scanned in.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:08 - 27 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

To be honest compred to the other pro pics I have seen those are pretty good.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 341 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1