Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bandit6 exhaust advice.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 19 Apr 2005    Post subject: Bandit6 exhaust advice. Reply with quote

Evening, ladies and gentlemen.

After a long wait, my Scorpion race can finally arrived so I thought I'd fit it. As I removed the stock can, a nice chunk of rust and rot from the collector box also decided to part from the bike as well. Mad

I attempted to fit the race can but it was blowing too much, so back to the stock can it was. Well the box is still blowing (where the link pipe slips in) but not half as bad. It obviously needs repairing, but I'm not sure which route to take. Theres several new systems on ebay at the moment, noticed a full titanium system and another stainless one with a £230 buy it now.

I also looked into banditmania.co.uk and found that they do the collector box repair for £65 + whatever it costs to post the system to them. Does anyone have any experience with BanditMania? I'm a bit uncertain about sending my pipework off to them and how well the new box will be put together.

Its really annoyed me that the box decided to drop to bits as I rely on my bike for transport. (At least my father has said I can borrow his should I need to, I dont fancy riding a bike with a blowing exhaust.)

Either way, I'll be spending a fair bit of my 18th birthday money on sorting it. Sad

Odd scenario, but any advice will be appreciated. Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:59 - 19 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

It is a Bandit. They do that. Mine did.

Banditmania have been around for quite a while. They should know what they are doing.

All the best

Keith

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 20 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
It is a Bandit. They do that. Mine did.

Banditmania have been around for quite a while. They should know what they are doing.

Yeah, I remember you telling me they are prone to rotting quite quickly. From the looks of the outside, its fine. Just under that jubilee clip it was nothing but rust and corrosion.

I'll give them a call tomorrow, see what they have to say. Just a little worried about how long it'll take them to sort out and send back. Cant be without my bike for too long as its my only transport. Sad

garry
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:17 - 20 Apr 2005    Post subject: collector box Reply with quote

phone round the breakers mate !!! 600 bandits are plentiful , you should get change outa £30 ........

dont panic ... just shop around ..

bumper
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:05 - 21 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

my chaps did the same thing when he put his can on so he just stainless steel welded it and everything seems fine at the minute.........
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 21 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey, I've just had the exact same thing happen to me Laughing

The original Suzuki clamp had rotted away along with the bottom of the collector, which had actually snapped off a bit. In effect, the actual collector pipe was now in two parts and was blowing like crazy.

I bought a set of stainless steel headers off of eBay (£225) and they seem okay. Got the local bike shop to fit the silencer to them though - needed a new exhaust gasket and better clamp. The mechanic had seen it loads of times before - he reckons it's where condensation runs down and sits in the collector area inside the pipe. It's only cheap mild steel anyway. He offered to weld it in situ but actually recommended replacing with stainless ones.

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:02 - 21 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Blimey, I've just had the exact same thing happen to me Laughing

The original Suzuki clamp had rotted away along with the bottom of the collector, which had actually snapped off a bit. In effect, the actual collector pipe was now in two parts and was blowing like crazy.

Laughing Typical, exactly what has happened to mine.

I've got my eye on a set of downpipes on ebay at the moment, stainless steel replicas from Busters accessories for £187 buy it now. I'm very tempted, but I'm just curious whether the pipework is ready constructed, ready to be fitted. I dont want to have a box arrive with a jigsaw of pipes which need welding together. Laughing I'm pretty daft when it comes to things like this. The avert says they are direct replacements, so I'm hoping they come out the box and fit straight to the bike. Doesnt even say if the collector box is with the pipework, just "downpipes." Laughing

I too will get the full system fitted by a mechanic. Will also have to order a few bits and bobs (bolts and clamps, even that big exhaust gasket) from banditmania.co.uk to make it complete. How much did it cost to get your system fitted up by a mechanic who knows what they were doing? Razz

I hate spending money! Sad

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 21 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
How much did it cost to get your system fitted up by a mechanic who knows what they were doing? Razz

I hate spending money! Sad

Well I actually fitted the headers myself (not hard - only 8 bolts) but a bit fiddly. I bodged the old silencer on with a clamp from Halfords and rode it to the dealers with the gasket in my pocket(£16 Shocked ) so he refitted the silencer and made sure the whole lot was on okay for £30.

I'm sure it would only be around £40-50 to get the whole lot put on to be fair.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 21 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and the pipes I bought were from trackandrace on eBay. Check out their eBay shop. Fitted well and came as a whole piece which bolts straight on - no messing.

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 21 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.

I've had a look through his shop but there doesnt seem to be any for sale. I sent him an e-mail anyway. He might be able to host some up for me, if I'm lucky.

The rest of the pipework looks really good, I just hope he has some for the bandit. Praying

Cheers for the heads-up on that one. Thumbs Up

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 24 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the help, Kris.

I called up and ordered the pipework from track & race products. Decided I'd pay that bit extra for something that looked far better quality than the cheaper ones I had my eye on. Also got in touch with Bandit Mania for all the new bolts, clamps and gaskets. So now I'm totally penny-less, and in some debt with the parents. Laughing

At least my father said if I pay for all the parts, he'll pay to get them fitted properly. (Stopped by my local mechanic yesterday, he said if it all goes smoothly, it'll be about £35 to fit the system, top to bottom.)

Cheers for the help. Thumbs Up

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:52 - 25 Apr 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries Thumbs Up

Cool

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 05 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thats a kick in the teeth. Mad

My pipework arrived the other day, all looked very nice indeed, well put together. So I booked it with my mechanic. He yanked the old ones off no problem and fitted the new ones. All hunky dory. He came to fit the Scorpion can and not only was the link pipe way too small to connect with the collector box, (even with that little gasket thing) it was also way out of line with the passenger peg bracket. I was at college at the time, so my dad told him to just fit the standard exhaust. Another problem. The standard can doesnt even connect up properly and is still blowing quite badly. Sad

I lost the paper that I wrote the phone number for Track and Race Products and my sister deleted the e-mail which contained the number. Could anyone provide this? "Track and Race Products Limited," under the user of TrackandRace on ebay.

So now I have a bike which is even dodgier than it was before, which is still blowing badly and that my Scorpion can wont even connect with. By the looks of the collector box exit thing, its at too much of an angle. Makes me think I have the downpipes for the 2000- onwards Bandit6 and not the 96 bike.

Very frustrated as you can tell as I was looking forward to getting on it for the first time in a few weeks. With any luck, I'll post the downpipes back to Track & Race for a refund. The mechanic has told me that he can chop off the old rot and weld a new ring on, which I'll probably end up doing as a temporary solution.

Arghhhh! Mad

Sorry to go on. I'm just fed up of not being able to use my bike.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 05 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused That's weird, mine fitted perfectly...

You need to e-mail Neil Hulme and tell him asap..

Neil Hulme
Track and Race Products,
4 Mavis Avenue
Ravenshead,
Mansfield,
Notts.
NG15 9EB

trackandrace@hotmail.com

Give him a contact number and ask him to call you.

Kris

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 05 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news?

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:20 - 05 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an email back quicker than expected, with a phone number. Gave Neil a call and told him the situation. He informed me that he'd sold many of these exhausts before and not one customer had any problems with fitting. Anyway, he was really helpful, just said that it might be a little more tricky to fit the can and said if I wanted a refund, that was ok.

So went back to the mechanic (with my dad, who is an engineer and knows all about pipework Laughing ) and played around with it for a while. The exit of the collector box was indeed a bit big for the link pipe, but some exhaust paste stuff soon sorted that. Its still blowing slightly but its working to my advantage as it gets rid of the built up condensation.

Sounded god-like when it fired up! Drooling Scorpion is a bit louder than expected, but no worries, I have the DB killer should it have to be fitted at any point. Either way, its on, it rides and it certainly sounds the part. Thumbs Up

Going to get it on the dyno, see if it could do with some carburation alterations as I noticed the scorpion has screwed up low rev power delivery, (until after about 3,500rpm) and just to make sure its running perfect on the whole.

https://img27.echo.cx/img27/4058/copyofpict00126oe.jpg

Here she is, looking very nice indeed. She'll be getting a good clean this weekend, as well as a little service. Oil/oil filter change, clean air filter, check brakes & all those other little things. Just make sure its running well. Thumbs Up

Will have to phone Neil again tomorrow and apologise for wasting his time earlier, thank him for being patient! Laughing

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 05 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's before a good clean? Shocked Laughing

Looks very tidy... any chance of a sound clip (I only want a bandit if you can well and truly fix the near silence it produces as standard Laughing)?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:44 - 06 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Neil's a decent chap to deal with.

I know what you mean about the collector being too large for the link pipe - although it is meant to be like that. The large washer that goes in there packs it out considerably, plus there should be slots cut out so that it can close around the pipe when you put the bracket on and tighten.(Although mine has hardly closed up at all Confused ) If I were you I'd junk the standard bracket that you've used (little chrome piece on it) and get a meatier one from the local garage/Halfords.

Still, your mechanic really shouldn't have had any problems Thinking

Anyway, glad it's sorted.

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 07 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dom wrote:
Looks very tidy... any chance of a sound clip?

I was going to get one today, but weather has been so bad I havent bothered opening the garage. Rolling Eyes

At college we have some stupidly steep speed bumps, anyway, I went over one at a usual slow speed and I heard a clunk, figured "oh crap, that better not be the exhaust!" Yep, it was. I'm beginning to wonder how much of a "replica" to the stock pipework these new ones are. Didnt ever notice such a problem with the old down pipes. Never mind though, at least its rideable, even with that little blow in the pipe. Will have to make up a larger gasket at some point to give it that perfect fit with the collector box. I was planning to sell the old down pipes on ebay but I think I'll repair them and keep them for myself, see how these new ones hold up.

Oh yeah, will a slight blow in the pipework cause any long term damage? I dont plan to touch the bike for at least 2 weeks, until I'm finished college, then I dont have any commitments which require it for transport. Rather than mess around with it while I need the thing, I'll yank the scorpion off at a later date. I just dont know whether this will lean the mixture out to a point where it could cause damage. Confused
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 293 days between these two posts...

3806danny
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:30 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 1 fell apart as well gum gum or new down pipes?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 68 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1